EJVH3

Type 59 Fan Club

Needed credits to buy a new tier 10, so I took my type 59 out for the first time in over a year. Took less than 50 battles to get 3 marks.

6a3c26dd2cbf4890908da4741fc92099.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

Equipment setup: Optics, Vents, Vstab. (Yep, no rammer)

Ammo loadout: 25 AP, 7 APCR, 2 HE for ammo loadout; AP is sufficient for the vast majority of situations thanks to pref MM.

Consumable setup: extinguisher, repair kit, food. Fires are far too frequent; and you won't have the skill slot to spare for firefighting till 6th skill. Jack of trades, food, and vents is perfectly fine for covering your driver dying every third battle.

-----------------------------------------------------

This tank feels just so... overpowered. It is just so flexible on what you can do.

You got the turret armor and gun depression to play middle of prok (and spotting most camps on the 1/2 line). You got the speed to get there before lights can even setup on in their 1 line bushes. It is perfectly at home, be it going hull down or camo abuse.

You got the armor to bully lower tier heavies and face same tier heavies if needed in a corridor. It is very easy to laugh off 200 pen shells, and give 225 pen shells a very hard time. Can't even dream of doing this in other t8 meds.

The gun handling is pretty ghetto, but still workable with sufficient crew skills. I feel the ammo capacity is a bigger issue than gun handling, running out of ammo happens far too often.

What a great topic. Such a shame I only noticed it now. I have been lucky enough to win this beauty in the rddt Xk subscribers contest and I love it.

I managed to get 3rd MoE after 160 games. shot_099.jpg

This tank is just great. I could write a lot about its features but I think it is meaningless to repeat that what has already been written. I have played over 400 games in it now and I still easily manage not to fall below 90% on MoE.

After seeing Hallys post I realize that I have to try playing it without the gun rammer. 0,5s reload difference is not that significant, or is it?

Is it just me, or 2k+ dpg's not that easy to maintain without ample use of APCR? Is that why the expected damage's so low?

The expected is low due to the vast majority of games played being done by (bot level) potatoes who do absolutely nothing in it. The average player can't get their hands on the vehicle at all. The few good players who have the tank isn't remotely close to pulling up the expected value.

There is also the issue of legacy stats. There's a huge amount of old type 59 games that drastically cut down the expected value due to mm. In the old days, back when you can constantly shitting on shermans and pz4s; 1300 dpg is about as difficult as 2500 dpg nowdays simply due to having so much less hp to shoot at. Battles nowdays have ~2x as much hp.

On my own type 59, I average ~2600 dpg with the current mm; but my average is nowhere near 2k simply due to the 800+ old games played in the ancient mm 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

I really need to buckle down and 3 mark it. Hally's no rammer and dualmaster's gld load outs seem solid.  I need to experiment. 

I think I ended up sticking with Optics. It felt a little too blind even with max crew skill build. When you get an open map the additional vision can really help to rack up the assisted damage which is good for marks.

Hard to stop sucking when 3/5 games result in fast caps.

What I don't get is why some say it's the only "ture" premium med. tank when it hardly plays like one at all? 

The gun's so terrible it forces you to brawl. In which case, why not just play a 34-3 and enjoy lolalpha with the same dpm and same soft stats?

2 hours ago, Sapros said:

Hard to stop sucking when 3/5 games result in fast caps.

What I don't get is why some say it's the only "ture" premium med. tank when it hardly plays like one at all? 

The gun's so terrible it forces you to brawl. In which case, why not just play a 34-3 and enjoy lolalpha with the same dpm and same soft stats?

They probably said that when the only premium 'meds' were the T-34-3, 50t and maybe the Panther 8.8. All of those tanks are basically niche support vehicles unlike the Type 59 which can act as a jack of all trades, ish.

Playing as aggressively as I can, averaging 3k+ combined, and can't even get my win rate over 50% in about 80 games. And keep getting encounters where the game's capped in 4mins...

Really not digging this tank so far. I just can't make it work outside melee range. As far as 240dmg guns go I'd much rather play the FCM or the STA-2...

6 hours ago, Sapros said:

Playing as aggressively as I can, averaging 3k+ combined, and can't even get my win rate over 50% in about 80 games. And keep getting encounters where the game's capped in 4mins...

Really not digging this tank so far. I just can't make it work outside melee range. As far as 240dmg guns go I'd much rather play the FCM or the STA-2...

If you only got 80 games, chances are, you have a crappy crew. Type 59 is one of those tanks with great, (arguably OP) hard stats and awful gun handling soft stats. This kind of tank improves massively with crew skills; far more so than tanks that start out with great soft stats. A 2 skill type 59 is nothing special compared to other t8 meds. A 6 skill type 59 beat most 6 skill t8 meds by a pretty large margin.

As for what it offers over a T-34-3.. You have turret armor and gun depression; you can afford to sit on a ridge and take your time to aim if not facing arty. You also got significantly better hull armor; sufficient to shrug off most 200 pen shells and give 225 a hard time with proper angling and terrain usage. This is a vast improvement over what the T-34-3 can do; especially when low tiers/scouts try to yolo you. 241 apcr is also significantly more flexible when facing high tiers than 250 HEAT if the situation requires gold ammo usage.

17 hours ago, Hally said:

[...]

Thanks.

My crew's decent, BiA/Repairs/Gunnery and some Camo. Using Rammer/Stab/Optics, food and 2:1 ap/apcr ammo ratio.

It's funny because I don't usually have a problem with derpy guns. But his one just takes the cake. I guess I need to close the distance to compensate.

4 hours ago, Sapros said:

Thanks.

My crew's decent, BiA/Repairs/Gunnery and some Camo. Using Rammer/Stab/Optics, food and 2:1 ap/apcr ammo ratio.

It's funny because I don't usually have a problem with derpy guns. But his one just takes the cake. I guess I need to close the distance to compensate.

I used to make this mistake,  because the tank looks like it should have a hover med gun, when it is in fact Chinese in all ways. Use the armor to aim longer seems to work for me. 

I checked my stats recently and I have been able to hold my >95% MoE with vents instead of optics (the other 2 being rammer and vertstab). I dont really think you need much more viewrange at tier 8 (~439 with vents & maxed out crew & food).

The ability to go hulldown and become unpenetrable (although you have to thank WG for overmatchable turret roof and cupola sniping) by almost all tanks on its tier is really wonderfull. From my experience you need to fully aim your long-distances shots. Unless, of course, you have a few virgins you can sacrifice on an altar of RNGesus.

Victory Karelia Type 59 Experience received:3,444      109,503    Battle achievements 3 Marks of Excellence, High Caliber, Confederate, Mastery Badge: "II Class" Repairs:    -2 279   Ammunition:    -61 852   Consumables:    -20 000   Total:    25 372      WN8: 5 100 (100)

I did it. Now I am a good player, da?

52% w/r after 150 battles with 2.3k dpg, 2.2 spots/game, and 900 assisted. MoE >98%.

This tank's basically telling me to go fuck myself. 

:feelsbad:

How do you pull enough damage to go for marks? Do you go to heavy spots often? How much spotting you do given how slow this thing is? I'm having trouble with this tank. I'm stuck at 54-55% Wr and 80-81% MOE which is shit. While it seems capable in influencing games the gun derps you soo much I can't seem to get the required damage.

More ammo is very welcomed, since running low/out of ammo is a very real possibility.