TalonV

New View ranges come 9.5 good or bad?

Well if you've gone to the WoT forums or seen FTR, you know that view ranges are going to be subject to some major changes.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/11/12/straight-outta-supertest-upcoming-viewrange-nerf/

IS-8: 370 (400)
WT Pz4: 320 (410)
Т-54: 370 (390)
Т-44: 360 (380)
ISU-152: 310 (370)
IS-3: 360 (350) (a buff, odd)
Rhm.-Borsig: 310 (400)
Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger (P): 360 (380)
Jagdpanther: 300 (370)
T20 350: (390)
Lorr.155 51: 280 (360)
GW Panther: 270 (370)

AMX-13-75: 430 (390)
T21: 420 (390)

Now these are currently examples of the changes they want to do, but as you can see, HOLY CRAP. LTs are going to become KINGS of view range, and TDs are going to become blind as bats, and arty to be totally blind deaf and dumb.

Granted these are just preliminary and they are still being toyed with on super test, but come 9.5 view range meta is going to become RADICALLY different.  Even tier 10s might tank a drastic hit.

What do you all think? Good bad or ugly? Personally I think it's about goddamn time.

I don't know about this drastic of a change change.  Those light tanks with camo, manuverability and painfull guns can already cause some havok.  I feel bad for the slow, blind TD driver that has no options.

Don't get me worng, view range should be adjusted because its silly to have everyone at max range in tier 10, but some of those #'s look too extreme.

"Please note that Veider confirmed that the leaked viewrange nerf is NOT final – they are just experimental numbers (extreme values) to check how the vehicles would fare under such conditions. The only thing that is confirmed is that they are working on viewrange nerf."

There is a long thread already started on the subject, you may get a better response there:

If everything is nerfed while lights are buffed, scouty maps will become hugely more campy when there are lights, since if you try to spot anything in something other than a light, everything will be aiming at you when the invisible light tanks spots you. (Yes, it's recursive. Camping will cause more camping.)

It's incredibly stupid, how the fuck can an IS3 have 360 view range while the borsig gets 310? Paper thin tank destroyed should prolly have more view range to keep it balanced?

In the subsequent FTR post, SS mentioned these are placeholders to test "extreme" cases, and aren't final.

Pray that at the very least the TDs at least get 335m-370m view range

In the subsequent FTR post, SS mentioned these are placeholders to test "extreme" cases, and aren't final.

Pray that at the very least the TDs at least get 335m-370m view range

Then it won't make much a difference as it is now.

Then it won't make much a difference as it is now.

the WT Pz IV currently has 410m view range. A nerf to 360 would work in preventing them from spotting scouts from as far away as they currently do.

Albeit, what with the new/reworked maps and the general shift to close-range combat, this nerf won't do anything but worsen gameplay on open maps like prok, and barely affect gameplay on city maps like Kharkov, Windstorm or Himmels.

the WT Pz IV currently has 410m view range. A nerf to 360 would work in preventing them from spotting scouts from as far away as they currently do.

Albeit, what with the new/reworked maps and the general shift to close-range combat, this nerf won't do anything but worsen gameplay on open maps like prok, and barely affect gameplay on city maps like Kharkov, Windstorm or Himmels.

Why with the changes to maps 360 is still good enough. Knock it down to 310, and it means more.

Why with the changes to maps 360 is still good enough. Knock it down to 310, and it means more.

It also means that it effectively is arty.

Useless for your team if you don't spot for it. Can't move up to spot for itself without dying, and still puts on the pain when it does see a lit target. At least tanks like the Tort or Jagd have armor to boot for assault gun roles (which would become rather impractical if the hp nerf goes through as well), but the waffle is a pure-bred long range fighter. Nerfing the view range warrants buffs lest it becomes a steaming pile of crap.

Corridor map matches are typically decided by one decisive brawl at <50m. In this respect, these changes will have minimal impact. On all the other maps, though, might as well play a medium tank.

I think it's a good thing. It will give LTs all the more reason to be active and given the usual size of the maps the spotting range for many tanks needs to be reined in. Now if only they could do something about the diagonal 700m draw range.

Instead of flaming/raging at artas, we will now rage at useless suicide scouts. Imagine one scout in your team full of TDs and he just suicides leaving his team blind. Kappa Such good change...i hope it will go trough just so it would fuck up game balance so hard that they'll lose some profit from their milking cow.

Instead of flaming/raging at artas, we will now rage at useless suicide scouts. Imagine one scout in your team full of TDs and he just suicides leaving his team blind. Kappa Such good change...i hope it will go trough just so it would fuck up game balance so hard that they'll lose some profit from their milking cow.

It will be good it will reduce the number of td players. Just like arty. Before camo nerf wasn't unusual to see 1 light, 1 heavy, 1 arty (maybe) and then the rest TD's. WG is trying to make LT's relevant which is good. Not sure if they will get it right though. What am I saying??? do they ever get it right?

It will be good it will reduce the number of td players. Just like arty. Before camo nerf wasn't unusual to see 1 light, 1 heavy, 1 arty (maybe) and then the rest TD's. WG is trying to make LT's relevant which is good. Not sure if they will get it right though. What am I saying??? do they ever get it right?

but instead of making more light friendly maps, or just buffing lights, WG seems to think that shitting on everything else to make the lights look cleaner is a good idea.

If everything is nerfed while lights are buffed, scouty maps will become hugely more campy when there are lights, since if you try to spot anything in something other than a light, everything will be aiming at you when the invisible light tanks spots you. (Yes, it's recursive. Camping will cause more camping.)

Yup especially Mediums who will get outspotted by Lights .... no one will want to move.  campfest.

Instead of fixing the OP TDs with super high alpha they just assrape all of them and hammer Mediums too.

Why not just give Lights 10 to 25 % more view range along with the proposed bush camo nerf that would balance things out much better.  Lights keep camo bonus on the move.  For the TD's to really take advantage of their VR the need to be static and employing binocs.

In my recent games since 9.4 the new TDs with the higher VR's has made running TD's far harder.  If it goes thru as is I'm selling them all.

Drastically overnerfed across the board. IS3 and Waffle are especially retarded changes (for different reasons) and why they'd want artillery to be even blinder than it already is, is beyond me.

I think the general idea of putting view range in to major groups with TD < Heavy < Medium < Light will help in defining roles, and make situations like a Waffle with binocs spotting a light tank trying to scout long before the light tank can see the waffle go away.

It'll reduce camping from good players, as they will know they need to push up more with heavies if they're going to be spotting, and it will be easier to take down camping TDs that aren't properly supported.

If lights outspot mediums by 10-20 meters, it won't have a big effect on most maps. I think it will cause medium drivers to choose somewhat different crew skills, prioritizing view range enhancing things more, and making rammer/optics/vents/food more common too.

With TDs, though, I feel there are a variety of roles they play, and the more medium-like ones need decent view range to work their best (Such as the Jagdpanther, JPz4 - both of which I'd typically play 6 line on Prohorovka) - they are really more like medium tanks than sniping TDs. So I feel a pure blanket nerf may not be the absolute best idea. But the days of TDs being able to spot as well as anything should come to an end.

Why this nerf came after the camo nerf is beyond me... had they done this first, the camo nerf may have been completely unnecessary. TD's should only be dangerous when someone else is spotting for them. With good camo, but bad view range, they could not light for themselves well but could stay concealed when their allies spotted for them. IMO td's should be like arty, a support class. I also think the TD class should be split and the two new classes handled differently, but that's another story.

I don't know about this drastic of a change change.  Those light tanks with camo, manuverability and painfull guns can already cause some havok.  I feel bad for the slow, blind TD driver that has no options.

Don't get me worng, view range should be adjusted because its silly to have everyone at max range in tier 10, but some of those #'s look too extreme.

Storm has stated they are testing extreme numbers to see the effect but more likely the final numbers will not be as harsh.