So in the light of everyone else and their mom doing tank challenges, and always hearing crab talk about how he went from IOC to -G- levels, I figured I'd give it a try and see what I can learn.

This isn't going to be 100% solopub, but i'm going to try for mostly solopub, will indicated battles that I was platooned. Will include basic overview of each battle, and post a session stats screenshot after. I'm going for 100 battles in my brand new IS-7. Please excuse me for horrible formatting.

Will SS all Ace Tanker Games

Crew Setup/Loadout

BpwAmMd.png

Crew skills, I think this is a tank that really benefits from BIA, and so I grabbed that as #2 skill, max out repairs because heavy tank+yolo+sidescrape. Armorer for people HEing my turret. Next up are going to be gunnary skills, JOAT for the commander (because rip driver).

Went for food+vents for best firecontrol/soft stat improvement. From what I see on paper the IS7 needs all the love it can get in soft stats. Starting out with 14/14 AP/APCR until i get a good feel of the guns pen. (also 10.84 reload, DPM doesn't seem that like it's horrible).

Any comments/tips as I start to dive into this beauty?

Current Overall Stats:

xzhDsQV.png

Go with 1 HE if you're going to load any at all. 30 shells may not seem like much with the poor DPM that it has but I have almost run out quite a number of times, and I think I've even lost once because I had HE instead of AP or APCR. And please please please get a GLD. The aim time is unbearable sometimes. The missed shots aren't going to be worth the little teeny bonus you'll get from vents, especially since you already have BIA and are running food. 

Go with 1 HE if you're going to load any at all. 30 shells may not seem like much with the poor DPM that it has but I have almost run out quite a number of times, and I think I've even lost once because I had HE instead of AP or APCR. And please please please get a GLD. The aim time is unbearable sometimes. The missed shots aren't going to be worth the little teeny bonus you'll get from vents, especially since you already have BIA and are running food. 

I'm starting with vents, I might switch to GLD to see if it feels better. atm after 3 games I havn't had any ragemoments. but RNG still likes me atm.

Vents are just fail. 2.1-2.2% extra improvement is so hard to leverage. Aiming in 0.5s faster is inifinitely better than shaving 0.5s of your reload.

I've heard of people testing and saying that having vstab and GLD isn't a noticeable difference either.

I would actually put on Coated Optics as opposed to either Vents or GLD, per Kewei's suggestions. I've seen it actually win games for me, by spotting otherwise invisible enemies.

Basically, his logic was that, since you should always be at the front, the increased view range should help with spotting otherwise invisible camo'd enemy tanks. I suppose this was more relevant in the age of TDs when he had the epiphany, but I believe that vision, although it has generally been reduced in importance, can still win or lose games.

The aim time, he said, is moot because you can take all day to aim while hull-down, and most partly aimed shots will fly true anyways due to the 8.6 sigma changes.

Keep in mind, I may be terrible@IS-7 now, but these are Kewei's words, not mine.

his video guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETgfCqa7ic

full write-up: http://wotlabs.net/articles/is-7/

I would actually put on Coated Optics as opposed to either Vents or GLD, per Kewei's suggestions. I've seen it actually win games for me, by spotting otherwise invisible enemies.

Basically, his logic was that, since you should always be at the front, the increased view range should help with spotting otherwise invisible camo'd enemy tanks. I suppose this was more relevant in the age of TDs when he had the epiphany, but I believe that vision, although it has generally been reduced in importance, can still win or lose games.

The aim time, he said, is moot because you can take all day to aim while hull-down, and most partly aimed shots will fly true anyways due to the 8.6 sigma changes.

If you're at the front and can get hit with otherwise invisible camo'd tanks, you shouldn't be where you are. TD's can still auto aim and go through your hull no problem. And you're not always going to be hull down. It's optimal but a lot of the maps don't always have good positions. Vision wins games when you're in spots for a vision advantage to take effect. 

snip

With vents/bia/food i'm sitting at 434 VR. Just shy of the 440 you'd get with just optics. Granted optics would jump me up to somewhere around 470ish with current loadout. it's tempting but not sure if worth.

If you're at the front and can get hit with otherwise invisible camo'd tanks, you shouldn't be where you are. TD's can still auto aim and go through your hull no problem. And you're not always going to be hull down. It's optimal but a lot of the maps don't always have good positions. Vision wins games when you're in spots for a vision advantage to take effect. 

Pretty much this, I'm all for yoloing, but lets try to be somewhat intelligent about it.

So you're saying that the level of retardation is directly proportional to one's position on the server rankings?

Probably not far off, unfortunately.

@Peanut

Kewei also recommended the following crew skill setup:

Crew Skills:

• Commander: Sixth Sense, BiA
  • Gunner: Deadeye, BiA
  • Loader: Safe Stowage, BiA
  • Loader: Adrenalin Rush, BiA
  • Driver: Preventative Maintenance, BiA

@Peanut

Crew Skills:

lol no repairs rip. 

Day 1, First 20 games 75% WR overall, 78.5% solo (11/14) 2800 WN8

Besides that inflated WR, this is pretty on par with my recent stats. Solid games with hard derps in between. There's no way that WR is sustainable. I'm trying to focus this challenge on Solo but I don't mind picking up a platoon mate now and then. I'm going to try and track the solo WR separately.

DRiFjnK.png
Each Match summary:

Map/Server/Solo-Plat/Summary/Win-Lose
  •  
  • 1. Pearl River West Platooned Speed seems ok, got a nice snapshot, gun doesn't feel super horrible. Over extended around a corner and got perma tracked by bat/50m. Was trusting pubs to assist, they didn't. L
  • 2. Westfield West Platooned Held down C1 corner, farmed damage, get hit by arty for 800+fire while going fullspeed downhill. W
  • 3. Airfield West Platooned Peek-a-Boom at hill, was doing alright then took an unneeded hit from 7201, bounced him twice (don't know armor scheme well enough) then faught a maus at a horrible verticle angle, meaning he just rip my UFP. W
  • Live oaks West Platooned Go city, bounce a 183's AP shell, kill said 183, use him for hulldown vs T32/100e5, win city. Too slow to help clean anything else up. GG. W
  • Hidden Village West Platooned Get to G4 rock, make E100 switch to HE, get artied, back out, flank lower 110e5. Do it stupidly. Eat a shell. From there just cleanup W
  • Redshire West Platooned Can't figure out how to pen an IS4, don't think I'm able to at the angle I was fighting. My pubs push 1 by 1 into them and our E4 gets artied from the start. I try to hold off but eat 850 arty shell then fail to hide my LFP. Rip. Must learn to use pubbies better I think. L
  • Pearl River East Solo Get into a fight with 2 M48s, one firing full HEAT. I can't pen them. First match where gun decided to do everything but what I needed it to do, though my aiming was also really off. Still getting used to hiding the LFP well, but vs a M48 snapshotting my LFP it was massive RIP. Rest of the pubbies around me die while I struggle with my two meds. Get called a shitlord by REL_2. Second time on this map, second major derp on my part. L
  • Stalingrad East Solo I overextend a bit, and then also leave my front end hanging out enough to get railed by a T30 and 704. Also 50100 APCR spamming my LFP. It was all over. L
  • Live Oaks East Solo Failed brawling a red IS7. took 2 hits I didn't need to. Win city, go back to hold base. Push myself into a crossfire, bounce a 430 hull, get perma tracked by 430+T32. Waffle and Lowe sit 300m behind me just watching. Win anyways. W
  • Windstorm East Solo Get flanked by a leo, T49 helps me clean up some, then fail to armor vs a 50M. W
  • Himmelsdorf East Solo Hull down in tank ally. Creep up. Get held up by E3/Maus. Tell pubbies to go around. Clean up. W
  • Malinovka East Solo Two tier10 clickers. Take hill, rape T57 climbing it, hulldown vs their tier8s, slwoly clean them up while trying to not get clicked. Dodge two shells. Push in, light 110, put a round in waffle, all dead. Find GWE, get clicked by 92 and lose half crew, find 50100, tunnel vision and don't see the arty, eat a shell for 1k damage. Finish cleanup. W
  • Stepps East Solo fuck. Arty. CGC+GWT+53/55 had me focused the entire game. Tried doing things but couldn't really get to somewhere that felt arty safe. My damage log goes 843HE/78HE/344APCR/764HE/121HE L
  • El Halluf East Solo Flank got rolled, had no easy shots on anyone. Gun too derpy. Easy win, not able to damage farm W
  • Tundra East Solo Move to F1, proceede to hold off about 5-6 tanks for 5 min with just a foch behind me. I knew I was out of range of the waffle/JT support, but I was hoping atleast the JT would move to flank or something considering he's blue. Blue players are the worst kind of cancer. We still win, no much damage done but held them off enough for the other side to break through. Could've done more damage, but I was holding my shots to keep them at bay for longer. W
  • Windstorm East Solo YOLO a waffle in the city, thankfully the team focuses the foch155 instead of me, then I leave myself open to the IS7 that I forgot about and take some ass shots. Bounce first JPE shell, eat the second, bounce the third. IS7 switches to HE and finishes me off. First Mastery Game. 5.9k damage Received W
  • Himmelsdorf East Solo Same as last time, but from other spawn. Yolo tank ally, get hulldown, farm damage. Clean up. I was sadface because they didn't shoot at me to farm damage received :( W
  • Fisherman's Bay East Solo 4 arty discouraged me from going 1/2 line like I wanted too. Pushed into the IS7 too hard I think, was trying to help the waffle. He got slipped out by the T57+wtp, then I got killed by WTP+IS7. Not sure what our pubs in middle were doing, but our T54 refused to flank, wanted to fight them headon. W
  • Lakeville East Solo a platoon of 3 tier10 clickers. Fuck me. I help push our pubbies through city, then get super clicked as I leave and stop to shoot a 122-54. r.i.p. W
  • Karelia East Solo Trade all my HP like a pleb. I get my pubs to move up though, try to be careful but get HE'd by a T95. W

Mastery badge on game 16.

HRAIm63.jpg
fsqcGln.jpg
http://wotreplays.com/site/1342824#windstorm-whiskeyjack-is-7

@Evelyn 86% hit rate so far, which is about on-par with my recent average I think. So far gun has trolled me in maybe 1 or 2 matches, but 1 of them (vs the M48s) was also my fault due to horrible shooting/positioning.

First Impressions:
I love it so far, the yolo ability is amazing, but I need to get more used to the armor layout and remember to hide the LFP/don't give them a favorable down angle. Need to learn which tanks I can facehug/who can't just punch through the pike. The speed is good, the turning is acceptable. E-100ish? i'd have to spin them at the same time to be sure. Acceptable side scraping if you can hide the LFP/the weak pike. That turret is as godmode as I wanted it to be. The gun isn't as bad as everyone is yelling about yet (knock on wood) DPM seems acceptable, the pen is working just fine for me, havn't really needed to switch to gold yet. I'm a pretty big fan. In a good game it makes 30k credits w/ food before spamming premium ammo. I might drop the ammo on this to 18/10/2 actually.

If anyone has advice on how to make a table in the forums, I'm not sure how to make it look all pretty like crabeatoff does.

@Peanut

Crew Skills:

Why Adrenalin Rush for the Loader as a first crew skill?

Might've forgot to put it in the write-up, but I used either double repairs with the skill set-ups mentioned earlier

If I had to use food, I would have repairs instead of BiA, or as a third skill

Double repairs + BiA > Food + Repairs if you're locked to two skills

If you have three, then double repairs + BiA == Food + repairs