Vonblunder

VK 30.01H an accidental affair...

I stumbled upon this tanks while grinding the German line on my alt account and am having a great time!

Had very low expectations, and the stock grind was indeed painful with craptastic speed, no armour and wet noodle guns.

But once fully upgraded with the former Konish gun this machine is a ripper!

The pen and accuracy at this tier are awesome, allowing to be relevant even in tier 7 games.

Even in a bad game it seems able to deliver some respectable damage.

With a bit of clever play and wriggling / side scrapping / hull down the staying power isn't as bad as what it's made out to be. KVs and Churchills don't scare me much, actually from long / medium range KVs are exp platters.

I wouldn't really call it a carry tank, due to it's slow speed, but playing it puts a smile on my face.

It doesn't seem to be played much and I was pleasantly surprised to get the 3 stripes of excellence (edit: it's the MOE1, not so flash after all :P)after 80 odd games. (SEA server) which tempts me to keep it long enough to train my crews first skills before moving to tier 6.'

I manage 500+ average exp per game on my alt account and a 53% WR, which for me isn't bad at all/

Has anyone kept it in their garage after the grind?

On german tanks, three stripes is first mark (65%).

I kinda like it, currently grinding it kinda slowly, Just under 800 avg xp and ~60% winrate. With a bit more speed I think I would really love it. Not sure where to advance from it, heavy or medium route :D

The VK H is a very good tank, that plays a lot like the Tiger H. I bought it back once, sold it again when I got tired of playing T5 (so much pubbie cluelessness at that tier still), but toy with the idea of getting it again, if only to train another crew when I get the E 100. It doesn't do well in skirmishes, but it always did well in pub matches for me. A comfortable tonk.

I actually enjoyed playing through this tank back when it was a medium, but that was probably because I did the VK 30.01 (P) before that, and after grinding that stock, anything would seem like fun, especially when you have most of the modules (or at least the gun I think?) unlocked on the VK 30.01 (H).

It also got me to play more forwardly (wouldn't call it aggressively) and opportunistically than the previous mediums I played (Pz IV, VK 30.01 (P)) where I'd just sit on the second line and snipe. With the old 3001H I had to get in close beside/behind distracted enemies because of the short 88mm. That probably doesn't help now since they've changed it to a heavy, and also since you can buy APCR with silver credits now for the 88mm.

Always glad to see others like what I have dubbed my 'happy tank' (check out the smiley face when you view it in 3rd person mode from behind, awww, so happy!)

It's a solid enough tank at t5, with a very good gun and some limited ability to hull-down/sidescrape (at least against lower tiers). I find it very fun to play when I need a slow-stress mess-around option.

I love that little tank and his bigger brother too. They can go hull down and I raped a T-150 and a TOG II on South Coast with the Konische Gun. My platoon mate uses this tanks with the Derp and Prem ammo.

Having just bought this tank, I've got to say this is very poor. A little rundown of my opinions so far:

• Its basically a straight downgrade from APCR spam DW 2. The most notable improvement over the DW 2 is the shell velocity. You lose pref MM, go up a tier, your armor becomes incredibly less useful, and your gun handling and gun depression plummet. I think this is by far the most disappointing aspect of the 3001H - there is very little reason to own one.
  • The reload is very uncomfortable for everything except sniping. Its too long to want to stay exposed and melt someone, but too short for peekaboo games to really work.
  • The KV-1 and KV-1S are so much better. Fighting them in the 3001 is very painful. They have better guns, they have better armor, and the KV-1S even has better speed.

On the other hand, it is a T5. It's not exactly the most unforgiving tier, half your matches will involve holding W and clicking on poor little T3s and T4s. It's definitely workable, and I'd probably pick it over some of the TDs at this tier, but there's definitely no reason to go out and buy it.

/necro

Having just bought this tank, I've got to say this is very poor. A little rundown of my opinions so far:

• Its basically a straight downgrade from APCR spam DW 2. The most notable improvement over the DW 2 is the shell velocity. You lose pref MM, go up a tier, your armor becomes incredibly less useful, and your gun handling and gun depression plummet. I think this is by far the most disappointing aspect of the 3001H - there is very little reason to own one.
  • The reload is very uncomfortable for everything except sniping. Its too long to want to stay exposed and melt someone, but too short for peekaboo games to really work.
  • The KV-1 and KV-1S are so much better. Fighting them in the 3001 is very painful. They have better guns, they have better armor, and the KV-1S even has better speed.

On the other hand, it is a T5. It's not exactly the most unforgiving tier, half your matches will involve holding W and clicking on poor little T3s and T4s. It's definitely workable, and I'd probably pick it over some of the TDs at this tier, but there's definitely no reason to go out and buy it.

/necro

doesnt DW 2 only have a useless derp gun with bad HEAT and a puny 5cm?

VK-H on the other hand gets the konish, 157 base pen and 220 gold pen, it pens everything easy peasy, it has also a vastly better gun as either KV or KV-1s (havent played KV-1s with derp gun heat spam though)

No, it gets a long 5cm with 130 APCR pen. The derp gun is only stock. It's not puny at all, the DPM is good for the tier and the alpha is average. It's an incredibly good gun.

KV-1S' 85mm gun is far, far better. It handles much better, has a ton more DPM, and has more alpha. Ditto for the KV-1. It's an overpowered gun, no idea why they are allowed to have them.

No, it gets a long 5cm with 130 APCR pen. The derp gun is only stock. It's not puny at all, the DPM is good for the tier and the alpha is average. It's an incredibly good gun.

KV-1S' 85mm gun is far, far better. It handles much better, has a ton more DPM, and has more alpha. Ditto for the KV-1. It's an overpowered gun, no idea why they are allowed to have them.

hmm, i see, same rpm, except much more alpha, the aim time / accuracy gap is massive though, but so is the difference in armor....

I played through this as medium to the 3601. Then trained the crews on the T-25. Then add heavies I played both to 6th sense. It was... okay I  guess,  I am not a good long to medium range  sniper as top tier though. 

I dunno, all in all it seems a good intro to the next few German tanks: very little armor and bad alpha. I played it first in 2014, and found it in the garage with 1:2 ratio of AP:APCR...after playing a couple games I remember why. 

Honestly as long as you remember that you aren't actually a heavy, but a support heavy, you do alright. Having to face off against KV-* alone is probably the worst part of it.

I picked this up recently to start grinding the E-50M line. I kept the crew trained for another tank so it's a bit gimped, but it's plenty of fun with the Waffe. It's not the king of tier V or anything, but it's pleasant to play. 

On 10/28/2015, 2:12:20, Tarski said:

I picked this up recently to start grinding the E-50M line. I kept the crew trained for another tank so it's a bit gimped, but it's plenty of fun with the Waffe. It's not the king of tier V or anything, but it's pleasant to play. 

I had to actually go back and review... and then check the tech trees... THIS is SOOO dumb. Why put heavies in line to mediums... stupid stupid stupid...

Good luck Tarski!

On 18/11/2014 at 4:29 PM, MisterSwift said:

I actually enjoyed playing through this tank back when it was a medium, but that was probably because I did the VK 30.01 (P) before that, and after grinding that stock, anything would seem like fun, especially when you have most of the modules (or at least the gun I think?) unlocked on the VK 30.01 (H).

Man oh man. When it was a medium it was downright ridiculous. A good sniper that bounced pretty much whatever gets thrown at it. It's my most played tank; I haven't touched it since it was changed to a heavy.

Plus, it's a cool looking tank.

So it's a med now (not really)

• 40kph top speed which it sometimes reaches is pretty comfy
  • no engine buff
  • traverse buff is nice to have
  • only 700 HP compared to 650 ish on same tier meds and 800 ish on same tier heavies
  • the real 'buff' is that tier 5 games last much longer now so it can actually get some mileage out of that Konisch
  • also has 27 ish camo and 460 VR fully kitted out

I might have to 3 mark this thing, no joke it's pretty fun