HawkT1

what % of 2nd skill converts 1st too 100% when dropped

i keep messing up, i get skill 1 to 100% say camo and want to convert to 6th sense what % of the second skill equates to 100% 1st skill when dropped

It's around 40-41% for the 20k credit skill drop. But personally I'm sick of either spending gold or losing exp to get sixth sense and safe stowage that I just start new crews with sixth sense, safe stowage, and the rest repairs, and they get 100% naturally in those skills.

Its a 20% drop of overall experience when done for free and a 10% drop of overall experience when done for credits. Remember that skills are trained on an exponential curve, so 50% of the experience per level is stored in the last ~15% of the crews training.

In other words, it takes 105,841 xp to bring a crew from 0% to 85% of his first perk, and another 104,223 xp to get him from 85% to 100%.

Free Conversion:

To keep:

1st skill: 64% of 2nd skill (You lose ~76387 xp)

2nd skill: 68% of 3rd skill (You lose ~181419 xp)

3rd skill: 70% of 4th skill (You lose ~391483 xp)

4th skill: 70% of 5th skill (You lose ~811610 xp)

Credits Conversion:

To Keep:

1st skill: 48% of 2nd skill (You lose ~33950 xp)

2nd skill: 52% of 3rd skill (You lose ~80630 xp)

3rd skill: 53% of 4th skill (You lose ~173992 xp)

4th skill: 54% of 5th skill (You lose ~360715 xp)

how do you do the credit conversion i didnt know you could

Select it, instead of the free conversion option when you bring up the skills drop/retrain dialogue.  Does cost 20K silver per crew member, though.

Me, I just went with Evalithia's method, I train straight into perks for my first 2 skills, and then grab other stuff starting at 3rd.

If you're ever unsure and/or just can't remember the numbers off the top of your head, you can always check it in-game.

If you click on 'drop' for the skills, and then select your chosen option (silver for 90% usually the best option), the tooltip will show you how much actual experience you will have left (i.e. 1st skill at 100%, 2nd skill at 2% etc. or if you don't have enough, it'll say 1st skill at 98% or something similar).

Select it, instead of the free conversion option when you bring up the skills drop/retrain dialogue.  Does cost 20K silver per crew member, though.

Me, I just went with Evalithia's method, I train straight into perks for my first 2 skills, and then grab other stuff starting at 3rd.

Same here

after you read what Android25 wrote your question shouldn't be "how much do I stand to loose" but rather "when will the next discount on retraining be?". Im glad I started to retrain for gold long time ago.

after you read what Android25 wrote your question shouldn't be "how much do I stand to loose" but rather "when will the next discount on retraining be?". Im glad I started to retrain for gold long time ago.

Any free/silver retraining past the 1st skill is such a loss of xp that I just can't bring myself to do it. I now just grind through perks or wait until retraining sales pop up.

This, crew skill is probably the most precious resource in the game, and the costs for resets other than gold is insane once you get  a decent crew worked up.

... says the guy who still has Designated Target on his E-75 gunner in the first skill slot. WTF was I thinking?