Sign in to follow this  
grim952

This war of mine

Well this game is probably my safe place after ragequitting wot. Its about a group of survivors trying to survive in a city/town under siege during a war. Tough choices, and for me the feels really do touch on the  simple graphics.  So anyone play this?

Picked this up over Christmas and it's brilliant. I find I shouldn't play it for long periods late at night though as the bleakness makes me depressed.. =D If you've ever read 'The Road' by Cormack McCarthy, you'll know.

I'm still on my first playthrough and have got to around day 28, the first couple of days of winter. Things are looking predictably bleak; Katya is almost dead from illness and two of the four housemates have caught it too. Bruno spends most nights crying and so both him and whoever was up trying to console him are too exhausted to do anything useful during the day. 

Our main scavenger, ex-footballer Pavka made a stupid mistake whist out recently and got shot; he's taking a looong time to recover.

On the plus side, winter makes it a lot easier to get fresh water, but meds for the sick ones are hard to get hold of. I'm also starting to run out of parts and components to make upgrades and create consumables as the scavenging zones are slowly stripped bare. I shouldn't have use it early making armchairs for everyone.

Usually I'd write this off as my first playthrough and try again but I really, really want to see if I can recover this situation.

One thing, how do you grow vegetables? I've collected fertilizer a few times (the fluff of which mentions gardens) but the only use I've found is either trading or as bait for rats.

Finished my first game; I broke the game though. If you get the hotel location with the trader in it, there is a foolproof way to steal his inventory without being caught. You get massive value for free and he restocks every couple of days. You can load up on tons of high value items then barter with Franko when he visits to cash in for anything else you need. The game becomes trivial at that point; you will quickly have a fully upgraded shelter and enough food, medicine, and items that you don't have to scavenge anymore; you just eat each day then press End Day until the war ends.

One thing, how do you grow vegetables? I've collected fertilizer a few times (the fluff of which mentions gardens) but the only use I've found is either trading or as bait for rats.

You build the garden item then improve it to the next level; then you can grow vegetables with fertilizer and water. In order to improve the garden though, you need to have your workshop upgrade as well to create the heat lamp component.

1st workshop upgrade -> garden -> 2nd workshop upgrade -> heat lamp -> garden upgrade -> grow veggies