Post your personal IRL color scale

American Generals (heh)

Purple: Winfield Scott

Blue: Ulysses Grant

Green: Douglas MacArthur

Yellow: George B McClellan

Orange: Earl Van Dorn

Red: James Wilkenson

Implying Robert E. Lee wasn't the greatest American General ever.

Anyone who lost that significant percentage of their resources in a single engagement is not the greatest general.

You don't win wars of attrition when you are facing numerical superiority (in either material or forces).  Once the quick victory was expended, the South should have sued for peace.

Personally, I would put Sherman in this list.  He had the ability to know when he was not fit for command.  Came back refreshed, convinced a reluctant government to conduct total war which broke the back of the South. 

Post your personal real life standards on ANY TOPIC using the WOT color scale. Purple should be the elite, gold standard, best of the best... while green/yellow is average, and red is like the last person you'd pick on your dodgeball team.

I'll start with - fastfood/mainstream burgers

Purple: In and Out double double animal

Blue: Red Robin Royaleeee with cheese (dat egg/bacon combo)

Green: Carl's Jr Western Bacon Double Chee

Yellow: McD Big Mac

Orange: BK Whopper

Red: Jack in the Box Jumbo Jack 

Sorry for those who are not familiar with In and Out. So sad.... so sad...

I'm afraid your scale is flawed sir. Five Guys Burgers and Fries is not on this list. I believe they belong in the blue or purple slot. Here is my supporting evidence:

:biglaugh:

I'm afraid your scale is flawed sir. Five Guys Burgers and Fries is not on this list. I believe they belong in the blue or purple slot. Here is my supporting evidence:

:biglaugh:

LMAO... good point, I might replace Five guys with Carls Jr if I had to and bump everything down.

Don't hate MacArthur.

And any scale of American Generals without George Catlett Marshall, Jr. is just wrong.

There's no doubting Marshall's importance in winning the Second World War, but frankly, as he never actually commanded troops in combat as a general during any war, you can't really rate him against other combat commanders. 

No implication on my part.  A simple statement.  Lee was likely the most talented tactician of the war, and one of the better generals of the war on the operational level.  On the other hand, his grasp of the larger strategic aspects of the war were rather more limited.  No, he wasn't the CSA Commander (that was Davis himself), but the Antietam and Gettysburg campaigns both showed that he didn't fully understand Washington's lesson of "An Army in Being", and he was as parochial  as any other General in protecting his turf (the ANV as opposed to the rest of the splintering CSA.)  He was good to be sure, but I absolutely put Grant better and likely Sherman among ACW generals.  He was a better battlefield commander than either (especially Sherman) but the others both had better understandings of the overall realities of the war.

This... this is a joke right? There is black in the scale.... use it.

McClellan is a very interesting discussion.  He had his limits to be sure, but frankly, he wasn't nearly as bad as saying he would be "black".  He was beyond cautious to a fault absolutely (he may not have invented camping, but he certainly perfected it.)  At the Seven Days he left too much to his subordinates, and you can even make a decent argument for Treason at 2nd Bull Run.  Yet, for all that, the plan for the Peninsula was well formed, he moved fairly effectively pinning down Lee at Antietam.  Sure, he got the break of the lost orders, but he still made somewhat good use of them.

The generals I put below him?  They are the very definition of militantly bad to my mind.  Actual drags on their armies.

Earl Van Dorn.  Confederate Commander in Arkansas early in the ACW.  Attempted to attack the Union at Pea Ridge, divided his command on two sides of a mountain and tried to attack on both sides.  The side he wasn't with had no effective leadership and just sort of meandered.  His side pushed but not enough to win the battle.  However, to gain even that position, he'd entirely cut himself off from his ammo train (while driving Curtis back onto his own.)  When day 2 of the battle began, the Confederates found themselves forced to retreat very quickly from lack of ammo.

Then, he abandoned his position in Arkansas, effectively abandoning the entire state to the Union to go fight in Mississippi.  Beat his head into the wall against Rosecrans at Corinth.  Eventually killed by a jealous husband. (Doesn't directly relate to his generalship, but humorous.)

James Wilkinson:  Where does one begin? A traitor in the pay of Spain.  Then, in the War of 1812, refused to cooperate with another nearby US force because he and the commander had a long standing feud.  Spent the entire Chrysler's Farm campaign strung out on opiates, and ended up having to drag back to his base.  As red as red can be.

McClellan is a very interesting discussion.  He had his limits to be sure, but frankly, he wasn't nearly as bad as saying he would be "black".  He was beyond cautious to a fault absolutely (he may not have invented camping, but he certainly perfected it.)  At the Seven Days he left too much to his subordinates, and you can even make a decent argument for Treason at 2nd Bull Run.  Yet, for all that, the plan for the Peninsula was well formed, he moved fairly effectively pinning down Lee at Antietam.  Sure, he got the break of the lost orders, but he still made somewhat good use of them.

I won't bog this place down with much as your rebuttal shows you have a good grasp on the little man. But I would state another way to look at his military career is a terrifying combination of indecisive nervousness & poor execution. The greatest asset for the CSA during the Peninsula was Mac's comically slow pace and constant belief of being outnumbered. As to Antietam, his attacks are poorly coordinated and if he commits his reserve the ANV ceases to be. I don't know about you but nervous indecisive bungler isn't what I look for in the way of leadership.

Totally agreed on Van Dorn. It's sad when the best thing you're remembered for is getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

I won't bog this place down with much as your rebuttal shows you have a good grasp on the little man. But I would state another way to look at his military career is a terrifying combination of indecisive nervousness & poor execution. The greatest asset for the CSA during the Peninsula was Mac's comically slow pace and constant belief of being outnumbered. As to Antietam, his attacks are poorly coordinated and if he commits his reserve the ANV ceases to be. I don't know about you but nervous indecisive bungler isn't what I look for in the way of leadership.

Totally agreed on Van Dorn. It's sad when the best thing you're remembered for is getting caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

Oh, it certainly isn't what I look for in leadership, which is why I put him as Yellow.  I consider Yellow to be "mixed bag, but competent moments are more than balanced out by mistakes."  *shrugs*

Post your personal real life standards on ANY TOPIC using the WOT color scale. Purple should be the elite, gold standard, best of the best... while green/yellow is average, and red is like the last person you'd pick on your dodgeball team.

I'll start with - fastfood/mainstream burgers

Purple: In and Out double double animal

Blue: Red Robin Royaleeee with cheese (dat egg/bacon combo)

Green: Carl's Jr Western Bacon Double Chee

Yellow: McD Big Mac

Orange: BK Whopper

Red: Jack in the Box Jumbo Jack 

Sorry for those who are not familiar with In and Out. So sad.... so sad...

I know I'm technically playing in a different league, but can I still claim superuni with this picture?

ya-mama-burger-800web.jpg

AMC and HBO dramas

Purple: The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire

Blue: Game of Thrones, Mad Men, True Detective, The Walking Dead

Green: The Leftovers, The Killing 

Yellow: Oz, In Treatment, Boardwalk Empire

Orange: Six Feet Under, Rome

Red: The Newsroom, John From Cincinnati

If I left it off the list it's because I haven't seen it :-/

Animals to ride on:

Purple: Bears http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/porter-ridge/videos/bear-101-riding-bears.htm

Blue: Elephants

Green:  Ostrich http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/legacy/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ostrich-race.jpg

Yellow: Horses

Orange: llama

Red: Your mom