Sign in to follow this  
BeLiAL124

IS6 in 8.6

IS6 nerfs?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Was the turret made weaker in 8.6?

2. 2. Am I just experiencing pubbies slinging gold with increased accuracy?

Ever since 8.6 I feel like the IS6 isn't worth playing, every shot goes through to the left and right of my gun and basically everywhere on my turret.

If you hull down in this tank like I use to in 8.5 I get sliced up.  I actually have more success exposing my whole tank and angling hoping for troll bounces now.

What are you thoughts?  As of now I have shelfed mine as I no longer enjoy playing it, not worth the awful aim time/pen.

I hadn't known this was a thing. I'll test penning turrets and get back to you, I guess. I just assumed it was functionally impenetrable.

That's interesting because post 8.6 I brought my KV-5 out the corner and have been getting really good games. I had to shelve it once converting premium shells could be purchased for creds. I feel like the KV-5 can actually bounce more as if less players were slinging gold...

Of course my 37% win rate today isn't reflecting that :(

It's pretty much always been like that. I aimed for the areas to the left/right of the mantlet even pre-8.6 assuming I can't get a good shot in anywhere else (eg. vs hulldown IS-6 at range since hitting cupola isn't guaranteed). It's only 150mm thick so most tier 8s can shoot straight through as long as they aim correctly.

The area immediately surrounding the mantlet is 150mm with relatively little slope.

The mantlet itself is 150mm with a modest slope and has no further armor behind it.

This means that anything above ~212mm penetration will usually go through.

Ever since 8.6 I feel like the IS6 isn't worth playing, every shot goes through to the left and right of my gun and basically everywhere on my turret.

I was doing this to IS-6s prior to 8.6. Maybe the accuracy buff made it a more reliable shot to more players. 

I've played quite a bit of IS6 since 8.6, its fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H93MZVLJHqc

Yea you weren't playing around a hill like I mean where only your turrets exposed like I am talking about, I do fine with it on maps like that.

I'm talking about a map like cliff on the 8 line..when working your way around a bend.  I never use to have pubbies ripping my IS6 to shreds like this before.  And it's all turret pens..like I said maybe I should just drive out in the open further so they ignore the turret.

And my god that was alot of misses/bounces in that replay that was a game where I'd be ready to rage sell the tank.

Yea you weren't playing around a hill like I mean where only your turrets exposed like I am talking about, I do fine with it on maps like that.

I'm talking about a map like cliff on the 8 line..when working your way around a bend.  I never use to have pubbies ripping my IS6 to shreds like this before.  And it's all turret pens..like I said maybe I should just drive out in the open further so they ignore the turret.

Pretty sure IS6 lets penned in the face before the patch, or at least i've had my face penned multiple times before.

Luckily your ammorack is located on your hull and not your turret.

pfff... is6 better in 8.6 than 8.5.

pfff... is6 better in 8.6 than 8.5.

Overall it may be but the post was about the turret.

It was always like that but now with 8.6 accu they actually hit the areas next to the mantlet (and ocassionaly pen the mantlet itself) instead of RNG putting those shots to the sloped part of the turret.

And yes - most of the enemies tend to switch to gold ammo as soon as they see my IS-6 :P

More gold use in general. Especially from scouts.. t71 t69 amx 13 90 seem to be firing gspam at scary numbers. I try to look at where a shot hit me and aiming hasn't really gotten better. If anything, ive noticed nobody even aims for my front hatch, they just pen whatever panel they shot at. It hasn't affected me much as ive gotten more aggressive with it and the new aiming helps you dispose of pesky tanks easier as they try to circle you (less misses) 

The turret cheeks have always been easily penetrated. That is where I would shoot them with my Type without gold. I think the accuracy is just making the shots hit the flat part more often instead of deviating up or down slightly where the curve bounces them. Any tank with a weak spot is just getting chewed up at range. I have been having people pen my E4 turret at 500m. The weak spots have essentially doubled in size since the rounds are so much more accurate.

Has anyone found a happy angle for the turret when you're not dialing in a shot?  E.g., I'm having success dealing with cheek shots on my M103 by wiggling, but that turret has much better/steeper angling.  I feel like if I go off-line with my gun in the IS-6 I just give them a better flat spot.