Paaranoja

Modders might change how we play arty.

So, today a post on FTR appeared showing some new arty mode. It basically adds a changed sniper aim to arty that resembles a lot like WOWS sniper aim. Instead of em trying to explaine it with words, watch the video and look for yourself.

Now imagine if WG implements this but at the same time does the following changes:

-disables god view

-disables click-on-map-to traverse your SPG

-replaces WSAD as gun movement in sniper view (so no moving of your spg in sniper view)

If they do that arty would be:

-slower to aim because you would have to "manually" traverse your sights on a different part of the map

-harder to follow tanks behind cover because you dont see them

-harder to shoot behind cover because you cant see the area behind the cover

-harder to have good battle awareness because of reduced FOV while zoomed in

Also introducing this sight to tanks with derp guns would greatly increase their versatility (ofc with some re-balance not to be OP compared to flat-line shooters.)

thoughts?

I'm interested, and want to talk about how this relates to ships, but NDA.

I will say, that mod does a good job of showing the ACTUAL artillery shell arc, not the "comes straight down with no regard to cover" idea that everybody thinks everything has (when only the bishop/fv304 and to an extent CGC have)

Just remove the damn thing.

Pls dont turn this thread in another arty-hate-circlejerk. Arty is not going anywhare no matter how much we don't like it, so lets discuss how we can make it more skill-bound than it is now.

K?thx.bye!

I saw this, closed the browser in disgust and did not bother with put it on the LABS.
This mod gives a huge advantage, since you can switch between satellite thingy and this: accurate shots however you want!!

What you suggest WG to implement will never happen, as arty is so noobfriendly that WG likes it the way it is. They are more likely to put this option as well, since as stated this mod won some kind of award, making me think that it's not illegal!

I'm interested, and want to talk about how this relates to ships, but NDA.

When i watched the first leaked videos of wows i instantly thought "wow, we could use that aim for arty in wot"

This mode is obviously influenced by shooting mechanic in wows.

This mod gives a huge advantage, since you can switch between satellite thingy and this: accurate shots however you want!!

Now imagine if WG implements this but at the same time does the following changes:

-disables god view

Reading is hard.

seriously though this is stupid

1 shot bullshit from camping behind the base hould never have been, and that is all.

So you really cant see how this can make arty less retarded? wow! *poker face*

Reading is hard.

Do I really have to state "this mod AS IT IS gives a huge advantage, since you can switch between satellite thingy and this: accurate shots however you want!!"

If you read on in my post you will see I also answered at what you proposed. I don't think I was unclear.

Do I really have to state "this mod AS IT IS gives a huge advantage, since you can switch between satellite thingy and this: accurate shots however you want!!"

If you read on in my post you will see I also answered at what you proposed. I don't think I was unclear.

Do i really have to state that WG could implement this mod with additional changes to make it more balanced. OH WAIT.... I DID, IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS TOPIC! We are discussing WHAT IF situation, not AS IS situation.

AS IS its shit, arty is shit, it sucks dicks

WHAT IF WG could implement it and get the best out of this mod to make arty less shit and less cancerous?

Does the mod work for a KV-2?

It won't work. KV-2 has regular gravity of shells.

I don't know if the mod won an award, or if the creators won an award for a different mod.  until this is clear, we don't have any idea of what WG will do with it.

I know what EU staff is gonna do about this mod - nothing.

Paaranoja

Good to know that I'm not the only thinks about SPG changes base on this mod (BTW it's nothing new; I've seen it 3 months ago). Beyond your suggestions I think about global HE rebalance. It's stupid when splash inflicts more dmg than a direct hit both to HP pool and modules. Also HE alpha on high tier SPGs is enormous. 

I don't know if the mod won an award, or if the creators won an award for a different mod. until this is clear, we don't have any idea of what WG will do with it.

The mod itself got an award as the best ui mod.

Good to know that I'm not the only thinks about SPG changes base on this mod (BTW it's nothing new; I've seen it 3 months ago). Beyond your suggestions I think about global HE rebalance. It's stupid when splash inflicts more dmg than a direct hit both to HP pool and modules. Also HE alpha on high tier SPGs is enormous. 

WG kinda dug themselves a hole with the high gun caliber spg's in game. HE rounds weighing several hundred pounds (over 100 kg) should obviously do massive damage to whatever they hit, looking from the historical accuracy side.  yes, they could change it, but that would piss off the historical accuracy section of the pubbie crowd that likes arty.  also, blame HE mechanics and RNG for how much damage a splash does.  when the HE damage for the shell can fluctuate by 1000, it's kinda hard to predict how much damage any one round will do, and from my experience, the 1k+ dmg "splashes" are often when RNG somehow lands the round under the tank, where it is basically a large bomb going off under your weak belly armor, and then HE mechanics come into play.

The mod itself got an award as the best ui mod.

thanks.  I don't read russian.

Saw this mod on a site quite a while ago, according to them its actually illegal?

Link below

http://pkwot.blogspot.com/2014/11/94-battle-assistant-camera-modification.html

yeah, it got posted a while ago too.  just now it's back in the spotlight with an FTR article.

If anything, I think it would make arty more accurate, which is a HUGE problem already in WOT.  God mode to me isn't the problem, its the fact that arty has both splash AND accuracy.  Something of which it did not have BOTH in the field, at least not without compromises.

For me personally, if you want to fix arty, you have to do it from the ground up in a radical change.  None of this "sight change" bullshit, none of this accuracy nerf, aim time nerf bullshit.

Since arty is a vehicle that would barrage large areas, or single target vehicles (mortars) that's how it should be in game.  So I say do this

Pick a characteristic you want of arty, do you want it to be splash based with little to no accuracy? If so, give it shit accuracy, shit aim time, a little bit longer reload but fucking large ass splash.  This idea still seems a bit OP to me though, and War Gaming could fuck it up easily.  The OTHER way is to make arty single fire on targets.  In doing so leave the aim time, and accuracy alone.  Nerf the reload to like 3-4 minutes (because communication between mortars and field units, then aiming in on target takes time) and get rid of splash completely.  BUT when it hits the target, it should be a one shot.  Hands down.  If an arty player can aim in and wait for 3-4 minutes as his battery reloads, HIT the target, to make it fair it should be a one-shot kill. 

That's just my thoughts though.  Great vid, but omfg if that is a mod it needs to be banned.  Gets rid of the whole point of tanks in general if you can just load up an arty and play it as a tank......sniping.....

I personally think what needs to happen is give it laser-like accuracy when fully aimed, but make every shot land on the very edge of the reticule, and nerf bloom to maintain current dispersion, or maybe even worse.  a moving tank will almost never be hit by an unaimed snapshot again.  the super accuracy is to allow the circle to get small enough to reliably hit/splash a stationary camper.

HE from arty should never be able to pen anything other than the softest of tanks like the waffle series.

I think some of the suggestions Pj suggested will actually help, like arty being unable to traverse their tank when in *God Mode,* and this new view really isnt too bad. Certainly makes it feel less... idk, stupid. Its still very wrong and only belongs in organized play, but we'll take what we can get

arty being unable to traverse their tank when in *God Mode,* and this new view really isnt too bad.

This would be a MASSIVE nerf to the entire RU arty line except the su-26, and a massive (relative) buff for the entire US, french, and most of the UK arty lines in relative usefulness.  as much as it sounds cool, it would massively imbalance the different lines (who wants the CGC to be even better relative to the other arties?)