BlitzReaper

Should I use server reticule?

For fuck sakes.

reticle (ret-i-kuh l) 1. a network of fine lines, wires, or the like placed in the focus of the eyepiece of an optical instrument.

reticule (ret-i-kyool) 1. a woman's small handbag, originally made of netting and usually having a drawstring.

I do not use the server's handbag.

Ok whatever. English is not my native language and I don't give a flying fuck seriously.

reticle or reticule, at least we know what are we talking about don't we?

Ok whatever. English is not my native language and I don't give a flying fuck seriously.

reticle or reticule, at least we know what are we talking about don't we?

Not really. But ok.

ret·i·cule
ˈretiˌkyo͞ol/
noun
noun: reticule; plural noun: reticules

historical
1. a woman's small handbag, originally netted and typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading.

2. variant spelling of reticle.

What's this? Definitions can actually change? Heresy!

Any recommendation of servercross reticle? Or whatev it is? Just the reticle mod if can pls

Best combination imo is vanilla WG one and change the ^ arrow with something else from vanilla client options , I personally use red dot + crosshair. No useless screen clutter and maximal 600+ meters cupola snipe capabilities ( A proportion of shots always go pixel perfect so you might as well take advantage of it )

I play in Vietnam. But I refuse to go to the SEA server for a good reason.

May I ask what mod that would be? Thanks :)

I am with you dude, play in Cambodia same levels of ping 200-300, but fuck the SEA server.  I don't use the server reticle because it screws with my head and I never got used to it.  The only problem I have is sometimes going around corners i put shots into walls, on the other hand I notice shots that didn't look like they landed on moving targets doing damage pretty regularly so I don't know what's going on there.

Rexxie: just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful poast about the mechanics of the crosshair and how it relates to human reaction time. I'm going to give client-side a spin and see how it goes. Been running server-side since I can remember and I'm not even sure why. Thanks again.

This might sound weird but I'm genuinely curious how this went.

Pray tell?

[Very intelligent reasons for why he uses client reticle all over the place.]

Considering your arguments, I can think of only one time when server reticle provides significant advantages - when you have the [luxury of aiming/curse of having to aim] for a relatively long time in order to be sure your shot will hit.

I play with both now, but I'm going to start training myself to interpolate.  Thank you for your analysis!

...We'll see how well a 'recently left potato status behind' player can do at that.

Server reticule is delayed by ping. What do you think is better, being delayed by (another) 250-300ms or knowing where the server thinks your gun was 250-300ms ago?

Personally, I find it pretty terrible. Server or server+client is worse than just the client reticule to me. Waiting for the server reticule to catch up completely murdered my snapshot abilities and delayed just about everything else to the point where I was getting noticably less shots/game out - and this is with 100-120 ping. I cant imagine what it'd do to a 250-300 ping player.

Yeah, sure, having a shot fly out from the side of your turret or whatever is frustrating as all hell, but... the peace of mind of knowing that won't happen just isn't worth it unless your ping is incredibly low.

Honestly I agree that the random shooting out the side of your turret is only a bit annoying, but the thing that keeps me using Server-side crosshairs is seeing how often, bloom-wise, they become desynced. The number of times that my clientside crosshair shows being fully dialed in, and serverside is almost completely bloomed out, helps to explain some of the weird random missing of fully aimed shots that happens. I'd rather at least have an idea that I need to give it a second to settle, etc. And that is worth dealing with the mental gymnastics of having 2 crosshairs and trying to use the advantages of both.

Use both, have the client side as your main aiming point, whatever cross hair you are comfortable with.

Then have a server side as a less intrusive/less cluttered sight, usually in a different colour.

Mine is 4 little blue lines, aim server side whilst noticing where the server reticule is, once you have used it a while you'll get used to shot timing to ensure server lag doesn't screw you up.

Simply having server reticule enabled as a back up gives you more information to make decisions on and it will stop some of those "where did that shot go" moments. 

This might sound weird but I'm genuinely curious how this went.

Pray tell?

That I tried, switches between server side and client side reticle, did the thing couple of times throughout my time playing the game.

Its really dependent on a stable connection. In a way, if you're playing with, say, 100~200ms, the client side can still be reliable in the way Rexxie mentioned, as long as you didn't get packet loss, but if you do get packet loss(es) which, by server side, your reticle may lagged behind by couple of split second (or more), which may affect end result.

IMO if you're playing and the connection is somewhat unstable (ping spikes, packet losses), server reticle will be better since the lags produced will make the client side reticle to produce undesired result, yes you will hesitate to pull the trigger here and now or didn't pull it fast enough, but with unstable connection, I think its natural to be more cautious on taking each shots. However if you're playing with stable connection, the client side can work in the ways that Rexxie explained. In the end, it depends on personal preferences really.

I, myself, preferred the server side, and I have no problem on pulling the trigger sooner if the situation does call for it.

Sorry for the dunce question, but I was about to post one on aiming anyway.

To get the server reticle, you just check the box "server reticle", right?  (For a single, not modded "two reticles".)

Also, we are calling the circle that grows/shrinks diameter the reticle?  (i.e. the Point of Aim isn't the reticle,  but the server side Point of Impact is, which is diameter-changing circle.)

Imho you need a mod for that.

Only Server reticle (the ingame one) is unplayable for me. It turns superslow, you take much more time to aim.

And: if you have a high ping it is even worse with server reticle. Because you basically double the latency with it.

Example: Your client tells the server to aim 2 degrees left. It takes *ping* time to reach the server. The server aims 2 degrees left and tells the client the new position.

Which reaches the client after *ping* time. Congratulations, you just doubled your latency.

A mod that shows both reticles can be useful, you can still aim with the client reticle and just doublecheck if the server one is way off before firing.

That said: I should install one as I have packet loss issues very frequently.

P.S.: What also helps against packet loss: Auto aim. The server then keeps the reticle on target. Just switch off before firing to aim on a weak spot.

Maybe you have more latency but at least your shots go where you want them to ( +- RNG )

If it was counter strike reaction speed would be more important but when you have an opportunity to deal dmg every X or XX seconds you'd better make it count. Vanilla client already provide client + server if you change the default ^ ones.

To get the server reticle, you just check the box "server reticle", right?  (For a single , not a modded "two reticles".)

The old forums talked about needing to hit "+0" or something, in-game, also.

Anyone else noticed the server reticle became useless sometime around turn of 2013/2014 ?

I remember that I started playing during the summer of 2013, I read several guides including the guide that told you how to set your graphic settings to actually display only the things you need for better gameplay and turning off shit like blur, special effects etc. that guide included the advice to turn the server reticle on - so I used it and it was awesome, I actually think I was winning more games because of it.

Then few patches later, I noticed major lagging, tearing and overall unstability of it, so I turned it off.

I did hear rumours of it becoming unstable/unreliable sometime last year, or a while ago, I honestly can't remember. I'll have to practice in training rooms for a while if I'm going to try the client-side reticle or double reticles after years of using the server-side one.