Solono

Crack down on arty related rule violations.

Nobody's going to successfully prevent the community from calling artillery cancer. It's about as stupid as some guy justifying the word fag because it means a bundle of twigs.

It's the social norm whether we like it or not and it's not going to go away until the community stops using it.

W82xxLu.gif

Well, since we are on the topic of cancer, and whether it's acceptable or not to call artillery "cancer." I suppose I have a somewhat unique perspective on the subject. A little over three years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 Nodular Lymphocyte-Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma. Taking a moment to look back on it all, it is amazing the amount of physical and psychological pain that I freely chose to endure. Despite everything, chemo wasn't able to put me into remission. Fortunately my type of lymphoma is fairly slow-growing, until it's not, and despite my physical state being somewhat FUBAR, as of right now I'm okay.

Now that we have that out of the way, my two cents on the matter. I think that at some level calling artillery cancer is offensive, to somebody, but not to me. Like most people who have been diagnosed with a form of cancer. I have had to look at death as a real thing, and not just a concept that will happen to me in the unknowable future. Funny thing, I'm not dead yet, but seriously there were a couple points during chemotherapy that I would have died if I would have caught a cold.

That being said, When I was first diagnosed with cancer it would have made me fairly uncomfortable if someone would have referred to artillery as "cancer." However, at that point in time any reference to cancer was nearly unbearable for me to hear. Case in point, a week or so after being diagnosed I decided I was going to start watching breaking bad, long story short I didn't even get through the first episode. It's one of those things that you have to work out for yourself and it takes time to figure out how to come to peace with what is happening to you. I suppose it's one of those grieving process things anger, sadness, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, calling artillery cancer is somewhat offensive, but it is also completely accurate. Furthermore, it is not the same type of "offensive" as using a racial slur to describe someone.

P.S. Please don't say "I'm so sorry you have cancer." It has been an interesting journey, and I have gotten to see some of the best of humanity because of it.

I just expect more than "fag" or "gay" or "cancer" from WoTLabs is all. 

It is not creative, intelligent, or impressive. Flex your vocabulary a little. "Fuck arty and everyone who plays it," may be an accurate representation of your feelings, but the phrase is tired and boring at this point. It has lost its meaning and thrown around with nonchalance. If you are going to pour any amount of energy into any type of hatred, at least make it interesting. There are far too many sheep willing to parrot the sayings of a respected blurple...

Funny story:

I was waiting at one of Boston University's eateries for a friend to get out of class. I was chowing down on some institutional tacos and these two Abercrombie wearing douche bags at a nearby table were having a discussion. One guy was complaining that his best friend had "banged his sister" over some holiday break. He said, "Dude, he totally fucked her while I was sleeping. What a fag..." His buddy chimed in, "Yeah, man... That's wicked gay..."

Well, since we are on the topic of cancer, and whether it's acceptable or not to call artillery "cancer." I suppose I have a somewhat unique perspective on the subject. A little over three years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 Nodular Lymphocyte-Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma. Taking a moment to look back on it all, it is amazing the amount of physical and psychological pain that I freely chose to endure. Despite everything, chemo wasn't able to put me into remission. Fortunately my type of lymphoma is fairly slow-growing, until it's not, and despite my physical state being somewhat FUBAR, as of right now I'm okay.

Now that we have that out of the way, my two cents on the matter. I think that at some level calling artillery cancer is offensive, to somebody, but not to me. Like most people who have been diagnosed with a form of cancer. I have had to look at death as a real thing, and not just a concept that will happen to me in the unknowable future. Funny thing, I'm not dead yet, but seriously there were a couple points during chemotherapy that I would have died if I would have caught a cold.

That being said, When I was first diagnosed with cancer it would have made me fairly uncomfortable if someone would have referred to artillery as "cancer." However, at that point in time any reference to cancer was nearly unbearable for me to hear. Case in point, a week or so after being diagnosed I decided I was going to start watching breaking bad, long story short I didn't even get through the first episode. It's one of those things that you have to work out for yourself and it takes time to figure out how to come to peace with what is happening to you. I suppose it's one of those grieving process things anger, sadness, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, calling artillery cancer is somewhat offensive, but it is also completely accurate. Furthermore, it is not the same type of "offensive" as using a racial slur to describe someone.

P.S. Please don't say "I'm so sorry you have cancer." It has been an interesting journey, and I have gotten to see some of the best of humanity because of it.

I hope you kick "artys" ass. Good luck in your fight.

I just expect more than "fag" or "gay" or "cancer" from WoTLabs is all. 

It is not creative, intelligent, or impressive. Flex your vocabulary a little. "Fuck arty and everyone who plays it," may be an accurate representation of your feelings, but the phrase is tired and boring at this point. It has lost its meaning and thrown around with nonchalance. If you are going to pour any amount of energy into any type of hatred, at least make it interesting. There are far too many sheep willing to parrot the sayings of a respected blurple...

I expect more from your clan in pubs but I don't get what I want. 

On a serious note, how are we going to make it more interesting? Like what do you suggest us use as words? Maybe we don't say it because we want to impress you, or be overly creative or even be intelligent. Why would I want to express my feelings in an overly complex way, when there is instead a simpler and quite possibly more accurate way to express them?  Also, calling someone a douche bag or pointing out that they are such because they wear a specific brand of clothing  is also not creative, intelligent, or impressive. 

Also, the dictionary definition of cancer (so the only definition that matters) makes the word a generic term that covers a wide range of things including the 3 types of diseases you pointed out in your prior post, and things such as arty in this game.  It doesn't matter what you want it to mean, what matters is what it actually means.

I expect more from your clan in pubs but I don't get what I want. 

What?

Like what do you suggest us use as words?

Maybe other words. If only there was a source or material that allowed us to learn more descriptive and interesting words... Oh, wait!

I need not be impressed. I do not strive to be satisfied by anyone. That doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in the dreary repetitive anti-arty dribble that pours out of this community. 

That being said, perform emotionless and cold copulation with indirect fire units and the poor souls enjoying its horribly broken mechanics.

Too bad it's going to stay forever.

SerB said it himself. We're the little Crayfish.

I don't know man. It's a disease. Cancer is something every human being is susceptible to. But even when you do have it, cancer isn't something inherent to you, it's not a part of you and I feel like it is silly to be offended by it. We call artillery cancer because it is fucking invasive. It's a weed that nobody wants around except for the people playing it. Not everybody gets blapped by artillery in the game, not everybody gets cancer in their life. I've never had cancer and I know I don't know what its like, but I can safely say that calling artillery "cancer" wouldn't bother me. I guess that's just my view. 

I don't know man. It's a disease. Cancer is something every human being is susceptible to. But even when you do have it, cancer isn't something inherent to you, it's not a part of you and I feel like it is silly to be offended by it. We call artillery cancer because it is fucking invasive. It's a weed that nobody wants around except for the people playing it. Not everybody gets blapped by artillery in the game, not everybody gets cancer in their life. I've never had cancer and I know I don't know what its like, but I can safely say that calling artillery "cancer" wouldn't bother me. I guess that's just my view. 

I couldn't agree more. 1+

You wot M8?

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough, but I do believe that it is totally acceptable to refer to artillery as cancer. I actually find it quite awesome that much of the community have latched onto referring to artillery as cancer. In fact, it is a cathartic experience to destroy the in game equivalent of my affliction.

Now having said that, calling artillery and the people who play artillery cancer is most definitely offensive. However, I believe that it's more on the offensive level of calling somebody a retard. This is in contrast to what a lot of people who are staunchly against the practice of referring to artillery as cancer who, from my perspective, are attempting to equate the term "cancer" to a racial slur.

Hopefully that clears up everything. One more thing however, the people with cancer and the people who have loved ones with cancer are not offended because you're flippantly tossing around a word. It is the emotional connection that word embodies pain, suffering, helplessness, and death. Personally, I've developed a rather morbid sense of humor about the whole thing, but for many people especially those with love ones suffering it maybe a lot harder to cope with. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the term. In fact, I wrote my original post here because I didn't want anybody to try being a white knight for the unspoken masses of cancer victims. What I think everyone who decides to use the term cancer to describe artillery should be prepared to do is apologize, and be a fucking human being when someone may be genuinely offended by your verbal actions.

Bump because this thread is hilarious.

You are attempting to bump a thread that is pinned. Much shiptoasting, much wow!

Nobody's going to successfully prevent the community from calling artillery cancer. It's about as stupid as some guy justifying the word fag because it means a bundle of twigs.

It's the social norm whether we like it or not and it's not going to go away until the community stops using it.

Well, in Britain fag is slang for cigarette.

Just saying.

Well, in Britain fag is slang for cigarette.

Just saying.

Oh the meaning of words. We played a clan called BIMBO the other day. "Bimbo" is German for "Nigger" ( no offense intended, I am certainly NOT a racist. It's just what it means) and i think it refers to a blonde slut in British English.

Oh the meaning of words. We played a clan called BIMBO the other day. "Bimbo" is German for "Nigger" ( no offense intended, I am certainly NOT a racist. It's just what it means) and i think it refers to a blonde slut in British English.

I did not know that... Certainly puts a new spin on how offensive their name could be.

In American English a "bimbo" is a flaky and ditzy woman with a penchant for allowing easy vaginal access... The "blonde" thing is a stereotype. One of those, "all blondes are bimbos but not all bimbos are blonde" type of things.

But, stupid slutty men can also be described as bimbos here.

Honestly, the debate regarding words should've ended about twenty posts ago. I'll lay it out simply: it doesn't matter if you're on the self-appointed morally high ground, it doesn't matter if you're a self-perceived class act, it doesn't matter if you're offended by people legitimately calling artillery cancer - it's been proven that it can be and will be, and nothing ever will prevent the community from doing it. This is the internet, where unrelenting trolls, incompetent people with too much free time on their hands, and people with egos the size of an inflated balloon reside. Players can and will call artillery whatever they want - whether it may be scumbag or cancer, so those who are worrying about it need not.

Also, just for curiosity's sake, I searched BIMBO - it means "child" in Italian... and something special in the urban dictionary... look at your own risk.

vBEzDsc.png

Dirt, it looks like they're in-line for a name-change...  :verysmug:

How about parasite. They live of of others while being unseen and engorge themselves until finally discovered and squished

How about parasite. They live of of others while being unseen and engorge themselves until finally discovered and squished

I'm not sure. I'll need at least three pages of people discussing the definition of parasite and telling us how offensive that word is.

I love this site because most of these people complaining about arty have those stat signatures that show they've played like 50 games in SPGs.

I'm not sure. I'll need at least three pages of people discussing the definition of parasite and telling us how offensive that word is.

I love this site because most of these people complaining about arty have those stat signatures that show they've played like 50 games in SPGs.

The failed logic here is appalling.  

I don't need to play arty to know its bad for the game and that I despise it. 

I also don't need to start robbing and shooting people or doing drugs to know that I dislike murderers, thieves and drug addicts ......

I'll admit I have played it. But the highest I went was tier seven then sold it. All I have now is the little fv tier 6. And if the wot gods demand that it sell it in order to make a change to arty. Then please take it now!

Arty has ruined the game for me. I truly love the line of sight aspect, fast pace skill based fights, and flanking attacks. But I can't stand being blown away by someone on the other side of the map using only their mouse.and so therefore I will pursue other games that I enjoy. I'll only play in tourneys, strong holds and settings where arty is drastically limited and I am truly working with my team.

By that logic Definder is the best player on the North American server because he has the most battles...