Denizzje

Greetings from a borderline orange - trying to cope in a tier 6 LT

Hello all,

Just a 2100 battles player here. I recently decided to install XVM just to check it out. And now I am addicted to stats, and somewhat obsessed with win rate and wn8. Which is as you might have noticed, are not that great ;). However, it gave me much motivation in trying to be more than a tomato with an orange name.The past few days I have been reading around this forum trying to gather some information about everything in order to get better.

At first I was just randomly playing tanks, mostly busy with the Tiger line (the horrors I had in the Panzer 38na still haunt me as I did not understand scouting very well), and collecting some other random lines untill tier 6 mostly. I now have 41 tanks out the top of my head but most of them I barely use. I had an experienced player review my stats and recommended I stick to lights and medium lights as I tend to have 50-60% WR in those and stick to them for a while to gain a speciality.

And boy, I had boatloads of fun in the Chaffee lately. Same with the Luchs, and I remember my Ke-Ho also very fondly despite not having driven it for a while.

But now I have the T37. I really want to have the Walker Buldog, but ofcourse this tank comes first. And I am really struggeling here (my recent WR might already have given a hint of that ;))! I seem to be able to fail in both active and passive scouting. I get blown up at much farther away than with the Chaffee it seems. And with active scouting (or in my case aggresive scouting) I tend to do idiotic things as driving up a hill while circling a tank or just crash my T37 in a KV-4 or something. I fared much better in both cases with the Chaffee and Luchs.

What can T37 drivers advise me? Shall I leave the T37 for what is is for the time being and practise more in the Chaffee and other lower tier scouts? Do I need to hang in there and get my crew to 100% (82% now) for it to really start shining? Should I disregard passive scouting at all for the T37?

Above questions are the main questions now, but ofcourse all advise is welcome.

Tldr: Found XVM and stats, want to improve, trying to focus on lights and light mediums as I do best there, doing okay to great in chaffee and luchs but need help with T37.

Welcome to WoTLabs!

As for the T37, I can't say much since I ground through it, but use the new lights (including the US LT line) as a combat scout: Scout aggressively at the start (make sure you don't get hit), move up to a flanking position, and let loose with your 76mm, shredding and annoying everything that crosses it.

tl;dr: If you played the old Chaffee, play it like the old Chaffee.

Welcome to WoTLabs!

As for the T37, I can't say much since I ground through it, but use the new lights (including the US LT line) as a combat scout: Scout aggressively at the start (make sure you don't get hit), move up to a flanking position, and let loose with your 76mm, shredding and annoying everything that crosses it.

tl;dr: If you played the old Chaffee, play it like the old Chaffee.

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention what I struggle most with, and that is making evasive manouvers so I do not get hit. The tank seems to lose alot of speed while zig-zagging, making me get hit more. I dropped my camo net for a V-stab a few games ago, I now have optics and binos on it as further equipment (I first inteded to use it as a passive scout due to its relative sluggishness while turning). So far the effect is that I atleast get some damage done, but usually not more than 300-400. Then I tend to crash against something or just get shot due to not bieng able to evade quickly enough.

Never played the old Chaffee, only the new one ;).

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention what I struggle most with, and that is making evasive manouvers so I do not get hit. The tank seems to lose alot of speed while zig-zagging, making me get hit more. I dropped my camo net for a V-stab a few games ago, I now have optics and binos on it as further equipment (I first inteded to use it as a passive scout due to its relative sluggishness while turning). So far the effect is that I atleast get some damage done, but usually not more than 300-400. Then I tend to crash against something or just get shot due to not bieng able to evade quickly enough.

Never played the old Chaffee, only the new one ;).

imo, drop the binocs for a rammer, you're not going to be stationary as much these days.

imo, drop the binocs for a rammer, you're not going to be stationary as much these days.

T37 cant take a rammer...

Welcome!

If you're trying to active scout in the T37, or in any light tank nowadays after 8.6 for that matter,

youre-doing-it-wrong04.jpg

Instead, equip optics/Vstab/vents, sit in a forward bush at the start of the game where you know you'll spot enemies crossing an area, and wait. If you don't see any, move elsewhere and try to do some damage where possible. If 6th sense goes off (assuming for the sake of simplicity that it's a given for you), bugger the hell out of there ASAP; the last thing you need is to lose all your HP or die fast. Where you can, get in early shots, but if it means you'll take any damage doing some, don't do it.

Realistically, I wouldn't say that you're ready for light and medium tanks yet as a player. I would focus primarily on TDs and heavies at your level to get the basics down, then move on to mediums and lights once you've hit dark green recent. Save autoloaders for when you hit a dark blue recent. I would avoid arty in any way, shape, or form; it worsens your game-play by teaching nothing but bad habits and ruins the game for good players unfairly.

Vents, V-Stab, Binocs,

Drop binocs for optics when your crew gets better.

The current map meta is not good for passive scouting. I would personally maximise the ability to spot on the move and deal mobile damage.

You crew is a big problem. 82% is just not cutting it if you want to squeeze the most of a light tank. A light tank doesn't really begin to shine until 6th sense and camo are maxed, but that's for another day.

I personally also do not believe in the whole noob-friendliness arguments. Harder tanks like lights are better teachers and it makes more sense to me to just drive what you enjoy. Stick with whatever is the most interesting.

T37 cant take a rammer...

Oh.

Well, You can switch the binocs with a gld or vents, same reason as what I said earlier.

Thank you for the replies and welcomes!

Welcome!

If you're trying to active scout in the T37, or in any light tank nowadays after 8.6 for that matter,

Instead, equip optics/Vstab/vents, sit in a forward bush at the start of the game where you know you'll spot enemies crossing an area, and wait. If you don't see any, move elsewhere and try to do some damage where possible. If 6th sense goes off (assuming for the sake of simplicity that it's a given for you), bugger the hell out of there ASAP; the last thing you need is to lose all your HP or die fast. Where you can, get in early shots, but if it means you'll take any damage doing some, don't do it.

Realistically, I wouldn't say that you're ready for light and medium tanks yet as a player. I would focus primarily on TDs and heavies at your level to get the basics down, then move on to mediums and lights once you've hit dark green recent. Save autoloaders for when you hit a dark blue recent. I would avoid arty in any way, shape, or form; it worsens your game-play by teaching nothing but bad habits and ruins the game for good players unfairly.

I tried passive scouting at first as I did that in the Chaffee and Luchs with good results. Employing the same tactics for the T37 have thus far not been succesful. Is the camo rating for the T37 that much worse than a Chaffee? Or is having camo on all crew actually improving the camo value of a tank by a considerable ammount? My Chaffee crew is 70% to its first skills, with sixth sense for the commander and camo for the rest. But I thought that crew skills just add a little bonus, not that much.

Vents, V-Stab, Binocs,

Drop binocs for optics when your crew gets better.

The current map meta is not good for passive scouting. I would personally maximise the ability to spot on the move and deal mobile damage.

You crew is a big problem. 82% is just not cutting it if you want to squeeze the most of a light tank. A light tank doesn't really begin to shine until 6th sense and camo are maxed, but that's for another day.

I personally also do not believe in the whole noob-friendliness arguments. Harder like lights tanks are better teachers and it makes more sense to me to just drive what you enjoy. Stick with whatever is the most interesting.

Oh dear, two consequive posts saying kind of the opposite, that is a little confusing ;).

I agree with your last line, I feel less comfortable and useful in a heavy and clumsy medium than a lighter medium and light tank. Exceptions are the TOGII (<3) and the T-34-3, the last one I have somewhat tamed the past few weeks. I think I am too aggressive in heavy tanks, last time I drove my Tiger II I almost tried to drive it like a Chaffee o.O .

The camo skill is important. Your camo increases by 80%. The view range from having a 100% crew over a 82% crew is also important. 6th sense is also the most powerful perk in the game bar none.

Mweh lights are fun but not easy... and welcome btw.

Tiger 2 is not a light :D haha...  

I find movable heavies easier... think IS-7 line and T110E5 line... I really love those US Heavies.

But I thought that crew skills just add a little bonus, not that much.

Camo and Sixth Sense(and repairs, but that's not relevant here) are the exception to this. A light tank without camo/SS is generally a dead light tank at higher tiers, and T6 scouts are in that awkward position where they see high tier games but you probably won't have a good crew yet. If I were you I would've probably moved the Chaffee crew up and started training a fresh crew at T5 rather than T6.

As others pointed out, the T37 has an excellent gun and you need to get that to work if you want to succeed in it. Scouting is not going to go very well until your crew gets better, so focus on harassing people instead. You should never trade shots until very late game, but whenever there's safe side/ass shots to be had you should be taking them. T37 has ok mobility(although not as good as the Chaffee and Bulldog) and good depression even before your crew is trained, so you need to learn how to put those to work. Most importantly, until you get sixth sense up don't trust in your camo. If you take a shot and there's even a chance of someone being close enough to spot you, assume you were spotted.

Welcome to the jam!

Scouts aren't very useful these days, I'd just stick to fast mediums until I got a bit more experience under my belt, but you do what feels best for you. You'll learn to do everything eventually, grind order aside.

Scouts is a wrong word... lights is better... I have been playing the AMX 12t a lot to unlock the 13 75 and get 6th on the crew and vision games and spotting are nice but nowadays, staying alive and mopping up in the end phase is much more rewarding... flank and clip... flank and clip... watch where their gun is pointing and make sure you are not there... 

Hello there. Congratulations on your first step to purple. You fOund Wotlabs!

In my opinion, i don't think you should be getting upsest with stats, just with getting better.

As for your t37 stats I can help you with. I struggled with mine as well after the Chaffee which I loved dearly. After getting the hang of it though it is a very fun and powerful vehicle. I will be online today from 2-3:30est and from 8-12ish est In the afternoon. Feel free to toss me an invite, and if I'm not in CW (9-10) or Skirmish (10-11) I would be glad to help you wiTh the t37

Welcome to the jam!

Scouts aren't very useful these days, I'd just stick to fast mediums until I got a bit more experience under my belt, but you do what feels best for you. You'll learn to do everything eventually, grind order aside.

Wat. Are you from another planet?

Welcome to the jam!

Well, My T71 says otherwise...

Well, My T71 says otherwise...

I'm talking about tanks that are locked to the role of scouting, not just all light tanks.

Fite me irl 1v1 no scope skreb

I'm talking about tanks that are locked to the role of scouting, not just all light tanks

Which tanks does the almighty light tank master deem tanks locked into the role of scouting?

Id say all light tanks that have a shitty gun.

RU 251, T54 LW, WZ 132, T71 and Walker Bulldog say hi.

Thank you all for the welcomes and advices, Megaflex your advise sounds very reasonable! Really did not know that about camo's (and repairs) skills.

Victrix, thank you for your offers, but I am on the wrong server ;). You are on the US, I am on EU. Would be great to platoon up with a blue or unicum player though.

Did you not understand what I said?Every other light tank says hi.

Ah, misread that. Anyway there's no light that should be locked in the role of scouting. Even tanks like the 13 75 and Chaffee with bad gun stats must adapt to the role of flanker and harrasser mid to late game. Mobility is an asset that shouldn't be wasted.