Chryses

Naval Action

Do post your findings, guys! I am really interested in this as well, so I might buy in on it. (But budget is limited, so I do need opinions first....)

Welp. That did it.

1p6KGHY.png

I'll be seeing you gents on the high seas. That manual sail control gave me an erection. You could even steer the vessel without the rudder using jibs v. mains. Fucking SOLD on this game. Can I get my alpha steam key already?!?

Me tooooo

Document4_zps7d5ae907.jpg

It's Friday and I still don't have a steam key! Wahhhh...

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a subreddit for Naval Action already. Guess it's still really early in the game. I'll have to peruse their forums and get in on that steamy early adopter action.

Who wants to polish my sextant?

I don't even have a sextant. I've a washer tied to a plastic protractor. :(

It's Friday and I still don't have a steam key! Wahhhh...

Check your email! I just received my key. Time to pew pew in a gentlemanly fashion.

With those sexy pre-order yachts with Renaissance trim, pew-pewing will never have looked so good.

Speaking of looking good....

9786e768-2c72-4e29-83a8-9c3daf911a09_zps

Rexxie, you jelly? Don't know what all these strapping sailors are going to do on those long days at sea between ports. 

[awesome photoshop]

Rexxie, you jelly? Don't know what all these strapping sailors are going to do on those long days at sea between ports. 

That was amazing.

Y'all need to friend me up on Steam. My Steam username is now the same as here. I have no idea what sort of friend features the game has (clams? pontoons?), but AHOY MATEYS!

Been in a few PvPs now.  My advice: stay the hell out until you get a decent ship.  With all these insanely overgunned ships out there, my poor cutter had no role.  There was a bit of a funny moment at the end of my last PvP, a santisima (largest ship) just finished annihilating the rest of my team.  I am left with my crappy ship.  It is just the two of us.  Our team did a damn fine job removing every other ship but could not take down the big ole monster. 

So I begin to close distance.  The opponent starts with ranging shots but my little guy keeps dodging and juking.  I am doing all I can with my sails, bobbing, weaving, and closing in.  I have double shot loaded.  He expels his entire salvo, which knocks my sails down to 80%.  I already burned all my repair earlier, so I am along for the ride now.

I close within pistol shot and let fly.  I hit him solidly on the flank... for a piddly amount of damage.  I do a quick maneuver with brings my other broadside to bear and I let loose again.  Not much damage.  But now I am facing him and decide... screw it I will ram.  So I ram him, which gets my ship stuck on his.  But my one side is still facing him.  Chat is alight with "repel boarders, and prepare to defend yourself", and a bunch of other era correct phrases.  But neither of us can board.  And one of my broadsides can still rake him.  So for the next 10 minutes, I fire relentlessly into his side with double shot.  I did nothing to the behemoth.

Eventually I switched to grape shot and maneuvered my POS to his rear (which was taken out early in the match).  And I pepper him again and again.  His crew is dwindling from 900+ to less than 800!  I will soon have this.  Then he finally got his guns to aim in on me and I was no more.

The after action showed the problem with the scaling of the ships.  His ship did 20x more damage than his next ally.  Unless the one team can somehow focus that thing down, it will run amok and ruin the opposing team.

Been in a few PvPs now.  My advice: stay the hell out until you get a decent ship.  With all these insanely overgunned ships out there, my poor cutter had no role.  There was a bit of a funny moment at the end of my last PvP, a santisima (largest ship) just finished annihilating the rest of my team.  I am left with my crappy ship.  It is just the two of us.  Our team did a damn fine job removing every other ship but could not take down the big ole monster. 

So I begin to close distance.  The opponent starts with ranging shots but my little guy keeps dodging and juking.  I am doing all I can with my sails, bobbing, weaving, and closing in.  I have double shot loaded.  He expels his entire salvo, which knocks my sails down to 80%.  I already burned all my repair earlier, so I am along for the ride now.

I close within pistol shot and let fly.  I hit him solidly on the flank... for a piddly amount of damage.  I do a quick maneuver with brings my other broadside to bear and I let loose again.  Not much damage.  But now I am facing him and decide... screw it I will ram.  So I ram him, which gets my ship stuck on his.  But my one side is still facing him.  Chat is alight with "repel boarders, and prepare to defend yourself", and a bunch of other era correct phrases.  But neither of us can board.  And one of my broadsides can still rake him.  So for the next 10 minutes, I fire relentlessly into his side with double shot.  I did nothing to the behemoth.

Eventually I switched to grape shot and maneuvered my POS to his rear (which was taken out early in the match).  And I pepper him again and again.  His crew is dwindling from 900+ to less than 800!  I will soon have this.  Then he finally got his guns to aim in on me and I was no more.

The after action showed the problem with the scaling of the ships.  His ship did 20x more damage than his next ally.  Unless the one team can somehow focus that thing down, it will run amok and ruin the opposing team.

Did you clikc PVP or PVP Light Ships? I think they made it 2 different matchmakers for that reason. But yea, I have just been PVE with the small ships so far because of the time on and number of people.

pre-ordered

my only issue is how small the ships look when you are looking at the rails up close.

http://youtu.be/54G7DBGcJKI?t=19m45s

i would rather see them full sized. i would not care if they had to lower the poly count or texture quality.

So there is both PvE and PvP? How does PvE work?

As of the current alpha build, you can select two different kinds of PvE: one for all ships and another for light ships. Picking one will drop you into a lobby where the server will gather players looking to participate. A countdown clock ticks down, and then the game starts. Once the game starts, the servers will put a number of AI-controlled ships onto a map equal to the number of players that are playing. The fight behaves just like a PvP fight except that the AI are generally worse than the players and thus easier to defeat.

I'm sure this is not going to be the final state of PvE, but that's how they have it currently implemented.

rammed a snow that has tons of armor and 8 or something cannons head on at 13 or something knots with my starter ship the lynx that has only 4 and the front of my ship was on top of it the entire match. he could't do anything aim at anything nor move anywhere. he was raging at me and now he will focus fire on me all the time. forgot that i could press print screen for screenshots.

Definitely going to depend on the how the 'open world' is implemented as to whether this game is something I'll be addicted to.

I'm rooting for something akin to Sid Meier's Pirates.

Did you clikc PVP or PVP Light Ships? I think they made it 2 different matchmakers for that reason. But yea, I have just been PVE with the small ships so far because of the time on and number of people.

PvP light has been dead when I am on.

I've been playing a bit more of this. I really really like what they have so far.I have high hopes!

I need this.  but rip preordering .-. 

updating tags... adding REMOVE_PAYPAL_FROM_THE_GAME

My copy is waiting for this weekend when I have time to really dig in. But I must choose, this or WoWS for the weekend?

My copy is waiting for this weekend when I have time to really dig in. But I must choose, this or WoWS for the weekend?

0606dc9e03f7bd8f603e121d2d8f9bb36b98fb7a

0606dc9e03f7bd8f603e121d2d8f9bb36b98fb7a

Girlfriend, Company party, work, my crippling CK2 addiction. Take your pick