SONOFABENCH

Peep my 'Fix Arty' Solution

So I was thinking back to when I used to play those 2 player artillery games where you shoot back and forth, after calculating Angle of Attack (AoA) and shell velocity using a power meter. 

What if, the same game mechanic can be applied to arty?

So I haven't really thought this through completely but here's what i think:

1) You can set angle depending on how you want the shell to strike. If you're hiding behind a house, set it real high... downside, shell time is longer. If you've been overrun, set it low to shoot the instant you get noticed.

2) Shell velocity is determined by holding down right mouse click. 100% and the shell lands where you are aiming. If enemy is cruising fast, fire shell at 90% to lead him (if he is coming towards you). Bar should be set at 200% to allow for over shooting.

3) Make Splash dmg greater, since this will now make shooting more skill based.

4) Dunno how you would set your arty angle, but if you don't like that idea... how bout just keeping that shell velocity meter?

What do you all think?

Also, no more drowning yourself... Just click twice and shell comes out like a steamy turd and blows you up.

This is a great idea since it makes arty require skill, but I fear that it would be too frustrating to play due to the amount of guess work needed. 40 second reload for a shot you are most likely going to miss anyways is a loooot. if this comes it will come with a great reload speed buff. If that is the case you can just wait for the first mod that will give you the settings you need to make a shot connect and once that mod exists you will have utter doom cannons. Or if there won't be a mod experienced arty players will make the class broken and grief entire teams.

However why not simply give arty a skill requirement? Link it to a certain WG rating per battles played ratio and you get rid of 90% of the arty population...
Remaining arty would of course be comnpletely scary.

I think we sadly need to face that WG will never remodel their noob tube to make it skill based. Don't want to hurt the baddies, no?

Gunbound?

Awesomesauce.

The idea is interesting, but in reality I think it would be too difficult for most arty players to do properly and then the official forums would be overwhelmed with complainers of their favorite tank class being nerfed, and then nothing of value would be lost.

Also, this would remove a lot of the differences in arty pieces (See CGC vs 261), making the selection much more bland.

This is a great idea since it makes arty require skill, but I fear that it would be too frustrating to play due to the amount of guess work needed. 40 second reload for a shot you are most likely going to miss anyways is a loooot. if this comes it will come with a great reload speed buff. If that is the case you can just wait for the first mod that will give you the settings you need to make a shot connect and once that mod exists you will have utter doom cannons. Or if there won't be a mod experienced arty players will make the class broken and grief entire teams.

However why not simply give arty a skill requirement? Link it to a certain WG rating per battles played ratio and you get rid of 90% of the arty population...

I think we sadly need to face that WG will never remodel their noob tube to make it skill based. Don't want to hurt the baddies, no?

That's essentially what this would do. It would raise the skill level because currently it is set too damn low. Make SPGs more rewarding but more unforgiving. Make it more skill based.

Of course, you're going to end up with a scary expert based arty player population anyways. There exists one today. I play a lot of arty and I can consistently outperform the other arties in a given match. But maybe you won't see 3-4 arties on each side per match... Maybe they wont do top dmg per side every time.

The idea is interesting, but in reality I think it would be too difficult for most arty players to do properly and then the official forums would be overwhelmed with complainers of their favorite tank class being nerfed, and then nothing of value would be lost.

Also, this would remove a lot of the differences in arty pieces (See CGC vs 261), making the selection much more bland.

Perhaps we can keep the nation arty specialty somehow. US = Big splash, British = absurd arc, German = accuracy, etc.

I would like it so that they have to change their arc by actually using the WASD keys. No longer just mouse and click.

where possible I'd like to limit/remove their godmode view... 

And finally, I'd like to remove that red/green line that shows if you can hit targets or not.  Let arty players learn by experimenting, don't tell them if they can shoot behind that rock or not, they'll have to find out the hard way.

I think FV304 proves that low alpha just makes artillery more annoying over a longer period of time instead of making you rage in that instant when it one-shots you.

Just fucking remove it. 

Would you rather die slowly (with the small chance of living?) or die a instantly, inducing instantaneous rage?

I'd prefer the former.

Here is my post from earlier, this is the issue, it's called arty not using as many skills as tanks.

both share:

relocating

lanes of fire knowledge

blind firing

leading shots

tanks have individually:

camo mechanics

vision mechanics

points of weak-armor

where to shoot to destroy modules/crew more often

tracking skills

angling

sharing HP

knowing enemy reloads and their alpha damage

how fast enemies/allies can flex

enemy HPs

arty have individually:

moving 20meters after every shot

not hitting friendlies

some individual tanks don't always use armor and sharing HP doesn't work in pubs usually, but arty uses so many less skills and that is the problem. You can easily design camo/vision mechanics into play for arty which would require more skill. But the problem with that would be how terrible WG map design is and how ridiculous sniping on some maps would be. (I'm thinking make it have same range as tanks +50meters to any side).

2) Shell velocity is determined by holding down right mouse click. 100% and the shell lands where you are aiming. If enemy is cruising fast, fire shell at 90% to lead him (if he is coming towards you). Bar should be set at 200% to allow for over shooting.

>_>

<_<

>_>

>_>

>_>

I think I've played that game before. I just can't remember the damn name >.>

It reminds me of Atomic Cannon, dunno if it's the same thing.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!  Certain vehicles should only be vehicle to players with high ratings. I'm sure WG will go right along with that idea.

i say take it a step further: why not get rid of us bad players altogether?  If you're not 1500 WN8 (heck, make it 2000) after x amount of games, how bout we get locked out of our account for good?

pray for the revolution!

Scorched Earth

I friggin loved that game.  About 14 years ago I tried to install it on my XP or 1997 era Windows machine but the game ran so fast it was hilariously unplayable.  Maybe these days they have smarter emulators/ports that will replicate that 1994 experience.  If you know of such an emulator, I'd love to know about it.

That screenshot Medic posted doesn't look like the one I used to play.  His version looks more like South Park graphics.  The one I remember looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Scorched_Earth_gameplay.png