genfunk

Extracting spotting damage from replays in JSON form?

Not entirely sure if this is the best place to talk about this, but from the other topics I saw here it seems the most relevant. Anyways, it is a well known fact that the API does not include damage upon detection statistics to be accessed, and thus this has been a limiting factor in WN8 calculations etc. for a long period of time.

However, a few patches ago I was curious to see if such information could be extracted from replays. Using WoT-Replay-To-JSON (a vBAddict tool ) a particular replay was able to be analyzed in a human-readable form.

Insights:

The replay was well structured, most importantly an identify block was clearly found in the bottom lines of the JSON file. It contained two pieces of vital information: the playername and also the associated internaluserID, which was the internal ID used throughout the replay file to reference the player with their specific tank and statistics for the game. Under the vehicles block, referencing the internal ID of my player name allowed me to find the spotting damage, under damageAssistedRadio apparently. I believe this is also the spotting damage that shows up in the in-game scorecards (Right?)

Thoughts:

Since the spotting damage data is available (for quite sometime now actually, and vBAddict apparently factors it in into their calculations) and especially readable and quick to reference when parsed into JSON, isn't it possible to have an automated script process the replays (for those that do record replays) and pass on the spotting damage values to the servers where the API stats are processed to be factored in for calculations? Would this be some viable way to factor in spotting damage for WN8 calculations?

Obviously, what I am proposing and talking about here is under the assumption that what I was looking at in the JSON file was indeed damage upon detection. If I am a fool or a noob who does not know what he's talking about, feel free to educate me. I am open to whatever opinion everyone has about this. JSON file is here for reference. Thank you.

The problem with spotting damage afaik is that being logged into replays only from 0.8.x onwards it's troublesome to calculate for accounts created before that patch...

The problem is that wn8 values pull from API, and there's a huge hole between API and parsed replay overlay unless you could somehow get above 4% replay upload validity retroactively; if you can do this, I'd imagine there's a number of better things to do with your time machine than worry about spotting damage in tanks. 

If we had the resources we could create an augmented metric including spotting damage, and only use it for games since 0.8.x and for players who request it. It would basically be a recent WN8 (but hopefully with a ~5000 game sample) and would generally be better then WN8 over the same interval. It would basically be something like the old efficiency calculators where you had to upload a dossier to get data. 

Yes, assisted damage in replays is trivially readable. The only glitch is that a proportion of replays lack the results section, and this tends to bias the data. A workaround may be to determine an assisted damage vs damage ratio, rather than treating the raw results as representative.

Note that dossier files also contain full assisted damage information, so if you just wanted a client-side metric then that would be the better choice.

I initially misread this post and had this incredibly daft idea of pulling all the replays from wotreplays and using them to generate assisted vs damage ratios for all active players. Technically feasible, but it turns out there aren't quite enough: Only 1.4m on EU/NA and 4.2m on RU. If you could convince enough players to use your auto-upload mod then this method would work, however.

The problem with spotting damage afaik is that being logged into replays only from 0.8.x onwards it's troublesome to calculate for accounts created before that patch...

It depend also of the tank for example some tanks introduced post 8.x (like the M41 currently used a lot for padding at least on EU server) could use this stats

Btw why not computing WN8 with spotting damages end WN8 without and using a ratio ?

IE if you got 100 w/o spotting and 110 with spot is a better player (IMO) than having 100 w/o spotting and 90 with.

Yet they are seen a identical.

Currently I see a lot of player with blue WN8 but green WR bragging. 

But having a blue WN8 but being not efficient enough to win is simply padding.

That said I'm gonna eat some french fat food (yep I wrote fat not fast)

Fresh foie gras + magret (roquefort sauce) it's gonna be yummy,I guess it explain the lack of coherence of my post :)