WaterWar

Field commanding guide for new commanders by WaterWar

Absolutely fabulous guide, thank you. Quite usefully timed, as I'm opening my own clan and I'm sure nobody else will want to call in stronks xD

Plsgo and staygo? More neg reps to give can be done here:

But I hate to see this thread devolve into a public flogging of one person making a shit post, so I split the thread.

Back to the OP now; sensible, non-garbled critique is of course welcome.

Plsgo and staygo? More neg reps to give can be done here:

But I hate to see this thread devolve into a public flogging of one person making a shit post, so I split the thread.

Back to the OP now; sensible, non-garbled critique is of course welcome.

Thank you. :)

I welcome any constructive critique people might have, so dont feel shy to start a discussion with me if you find a fault in my article.

I will however just highlight my disclaimer again, just so everyone sees it: 

Firstly, I am not claiming to be the reincarnation of Montgomery or Rommel, there are plenty of more talented FC’s out there. Secondly, there are different ‘schools of thought’ in regards to commanding (just like you see with managers for sports teams). Some FC’s like to give freedom to players, others just want it all to be ‘NEAT UND TIDY’ and disciplined - this can also be said for the tactics. Some FC’s like to be aggressive while others passive, there is no one correct answer and this means that what I write in this thread is NOT the only way to do it – but it is the WaterWay© of doing it :P

Simple tactics are the best tactics!

I also recommend having some kind of friendship relation with a clan of similar skill level.

That way you can basically get two tactics for the same map (as in two versions per side) for comparison.

You evaluate strengths and weaknesses and evolve from there.

As neither S3AL or KITTY has any true clan wars experience except from the very limited time during campaigns we did this (plus sharing replays) during the third stage when both clans basically entered unfamiliar territory (as in fresh maps that we previously havn't played in cw before). It paid off

Also, have backup field commanders ready to step in when silver/gold league starts, it really hurted us relying on only a couple of commanders xD

ps. you can pm me ingame if you are in need of help. i dont mind sharing our mastertactics Kappa

Fantastic read. +1 to ya'!!

1) WaterWar please link to this thread under your six Commander YouTube videos. Links not there yet.

2) Mods - Please make this an Article. This is much more than just a regular post. It needs to be put in the Articles section for more permanent visibility.

Necroing thread, pretty 10/10.

What are thoughts on having multiple callers? We run this because our callers are relatively inexperienced and each caller takes control of a group (mediums, heavies, etc)

I feel that this has too much potential for confusion (multiple people trying to talk at the same time and even if they say what they mean just all the noise) But also splitting up the responsibilities is not that bad of an idea so that one person doesn't get overwhelmed.

5 hours ago, cpraf104 said:

Necroing thread, pretty 10/10.

What are thoughts on having multiple callers? We run this because our callers are relatively inexperienced and each caller takes control of a group (mediums, heavies, etc)

I feel that this has too much potential for confusion (multiple people trying to talk at the same time and even if they say what they mean just all the noise) But also splitting up the responsibilities is not that bad of an idea so that one person doesn't get overwhelmed.

I had this during my time in QSF-E and it was so chaotic the way we did it. We had three callers that were all "on equal footing" which during a battle causes confussion and so on.

The idea of deligating and splitting the load/stress is however not a bad idea - if done right. You still need one guy who is THE caller. Whatever he says goes without anyone questioning him. He can appoint "group leaders" who have overview of the situation for one little group (like heavy tanks or scouts) and will micromanage them according to the overall gameplan (that the group leader must understand/know).
This setup was something we did in LAVA for some time where I was main FC and then Gharirey would often take control of the heavy tanks when they pushed. He would call targets and micromanage the positioning etc.
In FAME I had (past tense because I dont FC anymore for them - own decision) a few members who I knew would always come with input and help me out during the battles, and I valued these members highly. They were however very deciplined and good at being brief.

I should add that for this to work you do need an FC who doesn't talk constantly as then it is chaos with several people speaking at the same time. People who have played with me as an FC know that I only speak when there is something to say - exactly with the intention that then other people can come with their input as well.

Multiple caller only works if one person is undisputedly in overall charge.

• Trying to help as a secondary caller is a tricky business because the ground is very narrow between talking too much and just enough to be effective. It is very easy to overstep the line; if you do, you quickly become a burden rather than an asset.
  • The basic rule is: you only take charge when the main caller is split from your group and that group is in need of coordination/someone has to speak up to prevent them from making mistakes.
  • For a secondary caller it is particularly crucial to keep orders brief and precise; otherwise you drown out the main caller.
  • Finally, being able to act as a secondary requires you to understand precisely what the main FC wants done. Ideally, you have played with a FC enough to know his strats inside out ... or alternatively you need to be good enough to guess what he wants.

Having people who give input can be invaluable as well - but again those persons need to know when there is time for input and when they need to shut the f*** up. It is disastrous when a quick reaction from the FC is required but your team is in discussion mode and you literally have to scream them down in order to get your orders through. If that happens to you, there is a good chance that you have already lost their confidence ...

On 17/12/2014 at 0:26 PM, WaterWar said:

Creating tactics
The first thing you need to do is to acquire a tactic for the map you will be fighting on (Note: In clan wars you will know the map in advance!). You can either: 

1. Use an already existing tactic 
2. Modify an existing tactic 
or 
3. Create your own from scratch. 

How do you learn existing tactics ? By being a victim of said tactic ? Is they're some kind of repertoire ? 

32 minutes ago, DHP said:

How do you learn existing tactics ? By being a victim of said tactic ? Is they're some kind of repertoire ? 

By playing as a grunt for other FCs, watching youtube videos of tactics (FAME youtube channel is good for that for instance), watching replays, asking people/friends from other clans and other things along those lines. :) 

56 minutes ago, DHP said:

Learning by losing is viable, though. Not the most fun way but it works. Every good FC will question himself after every loss: What could I have done differently in order to change the outcome? Did I make some bad calls?

Mind you it's not always your fault, sometimes it was just your team f***ing up. But good FCs always look at their own actions first before they search fault with their players, bad ones just blame their team or RNG ...

Ok thx for reply. I wish to start calling in my clan and it seems the easy way in is probably starting to call in SH, wich we do a lot in T8. So seem's as good as any place to start, it just seem's really tough to find all the trick with all those different game mode and mentality between it.