alcor_panzer

Armored Warfare

I'm suprised that there's no topic on armored warfare here.

Link: http://aw.my.com/us

Gameplay Video:

Impression: Very, very similar to WOT. Even the interface layout looks exactly the same as well as a lot of the mechanisms (aim time, module damage, hp bar, consumables). Graphics is better (Cryengine). Minimap, etc. at exactly the same position. There's also REPAIR, FIRE EXTINGUISHER and FIRST AID KIT at the same location too.

Nations confirmed to be in are the USA, the Russians/Soviets, the Brits and the Germans (and they are highly likely to be in CBT). Here's a tech tree spread sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NuYnK7Yo_CrNg_VfVuAunarEs557Hv8QbmW8g7CuN8A/edit#gid=0

Reason why it may be worth a try:

• Similar mechanics as WOT, which means, for the most part, good.
  • The biggest SPG is 155mm, and according to devs 'SPG immediately become visible to other SPGs upon firing'.
  • Highest tier is tier 8, which means potentially less grind (although also, potentially more room to add more toys to grind for).
  • There is no premium shells.
  • There're less likely to be stupid machines such as WTF 100 and 280mm HESH because, you know, modern-day tank designers are less retarded to make those things.
  • There're no 'slow heavy' tanks. And all tanks can be easily penetrated from sides, rewards positioning and flanking. Battles are probably more dynamic.
  • Its made by an American company. So likely the american customers will have a better voice (and we can laugh at the russian whiners crying USA OP).
  • More nations, as countries that did not play a big part in WWII armored warfare (such as Sweden, Isreal, India), as well as more interesting tanks for China, Japan, France, Italy, Poland.

Closed Beta starts Q1 next year.

Apologies for the repeat topic, didn't realise another topic was there buried 3 pages down.

My tinfoil hat still makes me think that Obsidian a secret American-based Wargaming subsidiary and that AW is actually the WoT 2.0 or whatever with modern vehicles that SerB and other devs have hinted at in the past.  It's just too blatant a WoT knockoff not to be.

Edited by Sorphius

My tinfoil hat still tells me this is secretly being developed by an American-based Wargaming subsidiary and is actually the WoT 2.0 or whatever that SerB and other devs have hinted at in the past that will feature modern vehicles.  It's just too blatant a WoT ripoff not to be.

Dosen't matter to me. If somebody produces a WOT ripoff where arty simply tries to kill each other for the entire game, I'd gladly sign up for it.

Also, apologies that I've just found another AW thread sunk 3 pages into this forum section.

My tinfoil hat still tells me this is secretly being developed by an American-based subsidiary of Wargaming and is actually the more modern WoT 2.0 or whatever that SerB and other devs have hinted at in the past.  It's just too blatant a WoT ripoff not to be.

Obsidian is a long time big player in the gaming world. They're smart enough to know that in this particular market niche, ripping off WoT is EXACTLY what you want to do. Copy it just close enough that it can steal massive amounts of the player base, but just different enough that they cant be sued for it. I, personally, am very excited about it for that reason.

And it's made by a company that isn't run by people who grew up under tyrannical dictators and seem to think that's a good business model.

And it's made by a company that isn't run by people who grew up under tyrannical dictators and seem to think that's a good business model.

You're optimistic. :smug:

Unless they develop and market AW as a straight pay-to-play product, it will have the same cash-grab features as any other f2p game.  It may seem benign at first (prem acct, maybe a couple of prem tanks), but eventually they'll either put in stupid shit like RNG boxes and blatant p2w ammo, or will start doing the same thing WG has done by implementing blatantly OP FOTM tanks only to nerf them once people have burned cash to free XP them.  There's just no other way to sufficiently monetize a product in the f2p market.

• Its made by an American company. So likely the american customers will have a better voice (and we can laugh at the russian whiners crying USA OP).

Your "American company" answers to their Russian publisher.

Besides looking awesome, it's gonna give Wargaming some real competition, which is exactly what it needs.

Maybe, maybe not.  People said the same thing about Warthunder: Ground Forces, and look how that turned out.  WoT is to f2p tank games right now what WOW is to the fantasy MMO market.  They were a pioneer in the field (no, WoW wasn't the first MMO, but it was the first to pull it off so successfully), and every similar title that comes out for the foreseeable future will ultimately be measured against it.  Even if games are technically better than WoT in various ways, any new title will be bound to struggle for market share simply because of the fact that so many people already know WoT and won't want to leave a perfectly good (albeit somewhat flawed) game to start fresh somewhere else.

Plus there's the issue of the content.  The modern vehicles that draw so many people to Modern Warfare don't interest me in the least.  I like Cryengine's physics, but I play WoT for the WWII  and Cold War-era tanks.

Maybe, maybe not.  People said the same thing about Warthunder: Ground Forces, and look how that turned out.  WoT is to f2p tank games right now what WOW is to the fantasy MMO market.  They were a pioneer in the field (no, WoW wasn't the first MMO, but it was the first to pull it off so successfully), and every similar title that comes out for the foreseeable future will ultimately be measured against it.  Even if games are technically better than WoT in various ways, any new title will be bound to struggle for market share simply because of the fact that so many people already know WoT and won't want to leave a perfectly good (albeit somewhat flawed) game to start fresh somewhere else.

Plus there's the issue of the content.  The modern vehicles that draw so many people to Modern Warfare don't interest me in the least.  I like Cryengine's physics, but I play WoT for the WWII  and Cold War-era tanks.

WTGF was never a direct competitor, their gameplay styles were way too different. You can't expect to quit WoT, go to GF and get the same experience, it's an entirely different game. AW however took the clue and is directly trying to compete with WoT.

Your "American company" answers to their Russian publisher.

Their devs have been quoted as stating that they're going for the NA and EU markets, and catering the game to those interests (ie less miserable grinds and less rng shit because add Americans)

Applied for Beta

Is there an actual signup now? Or is it still the register for a forum account is a beta application? Need to look...

Lol. If their management is anywhere near as bad as something as simple as an automated password recovery service, they're already fucked. What a stupid site.

Mail.ru is american now...

Applied for the closed beta they have a direct button to apply for that besides signing up for the forums. Please don't hurt me like wargaming does

Mail.ru is american now...

The developer is Obesidian entertainment (the guys that made the South Park game). Mail.ru is the russian publisher, you can't exactly blame them for going for the Russian market on a tank game.

The developer is Obesidian entertainment (the guys that made the South Park game). Mail.ru is the russian publisher, you can't exactly blame them for going for the Russian market on a tank game.

Except they aren't targeting the russian market, they are targetting the actual spending players; NA and to a lesser extent, EU. Both regions have been shown to consistently spend more money than RU. Also, the publisher can dictate timelines for release dates and announcements, the developers are still in charge of actual balance. Obsidian is headquartered in California.