alcor_panzer

Armored Warfare

Egypt also gets a lot of money from the US, and there is a big difference in having a tank and fielding it on your own soil, vs deploying it and fighting and supporting it on others. Condition of equipment, sustaining repairs for any amount of time, systems that support it (i.e. infantry, air, artillery etc....) all make a huge impact on its effectiveness.

Sheridan changes from the preliminary patch notes:

o M551 reload time increased from 12.55 seconds to 13.94 seconds.
o M551 minimum reticule size increased from 0.25 to 0.27.
o M551 aim time increased from 4.3 seconds to 4.6 seconds.

I largely agree, but I don't want to have a situation where the scout's role is performed just as easily by other classes, as is often the case in WoT.

Personally, I think they should re-work how firing vehicles are spotted.  There should be little to no distance cutoff.  If my tank has a 350m view range, a tank sized object firing a high caliber weapon SHOULD NOT be invisible because it is 351m away.  Even WG realized that being camo-sniped wasn't much fun.  I'm not saying camo-sniping should not exist at all, but it is far too easy to do right now.  

Tbh, the biggest issue with camo in both WoT and AW is not so much the spotting system itself but the render ranges the devs choose: It's not okay to have an area of 1km^2 (0,38 square miles for the murricans) and then letting you render the entire fucking thing. Add up the WoT render square and you'll see that it's exactly 1km^2 in size and as a sidenote allows for a fucking 750m diagonal because WG cannot into circles. If I wanted to use an invisibility system like this, I would heavily curb both spotting and rendering to avoid a campfest as much as possible and I would probably take view direction into account (spot and render further in the direction your turret is pointing). I don't really care if it's realistic, since we're playing an arcade game.

Each tank category will have different limits: You could even tamper with it so certain classes (MBT, for instance) could render a little bit longer but spot a little bit less.

If you can't let scouts, well, scout, then remove the IFV. It should be completely useless otherwise. Unless they are going to get a mortar on the back.

Scout tanks in WoT also get good guns for the most part. The AMX series in particular comes to mind with clipping and clean up and the new scouts with power creep are just abominable.

A scout tank should be almost ineffective at damaging, but get it's experience from lighting tanks. My personal experience in the battles was that I could be extremely useful as a scout tank by lighting and backing, lighting and backing. I like the tank having that clearly defined role. I'm happy if they knock it's damage off to next to nothing except against light tanks. In fact, getting to provide vision control, while not doing large amounts of damage, is what makes scout play rewarding. It's like playing a medic in Battlefield. Sometimes you get to machine gun people, but you get to enjoy playing support because it's rewarded well.

I'm of a different opinion. IDGAF about the 'solo carry'. Yes, I want to do extremely well, but I'd also like to feel like part of a team. I've got 10 FPS's installed that I can go feel like a commando in, in tanks I want to feel part of a team. You know, kind of how it really is on the battlefield? Online gaming, in my opinion, really shines when played with others and not just 1 against 29.

Marginalizing the scout tank role just means that you think it should be removed because the only options so far is to hit it with a vision nerf bat so hard it's useless and just something to feel pain in at tier 1-3. I, also, was shredded by invisi-tanks. I get it. First battle in the M60 I took a forward position, thinking my scouts would actually do something, and they shit the bed preferring to sit long range and act like asshats letting me lose the vision game. It's frustrating, but I moved to the next battle and then finished Splinter Cell: Blacklist when I got frustrated.

I suppose the maps could be exponentially larger giving scouts something to do, but I doubt anyone wants to play a 30 minute match while scouts find enemy positions, arty fires for effect, and tanks respond to the map as the battlefield unfolds.

Invisitanks and vision has always been an issue in WoT. The team providing better vision control tends to win. You learned to abuse your pubbies in WoT, you'll do the same in AW.

Sheridan changes from the preliminary patch notes:

o M551 reload time increased from 12.55 seconds to 13.94 seconds.

o M551 minimum reticule size increased from 0.25 to 0.27.

o M551 aim time increased from 4.3 seconds to 4.6 seconds.

Still going to be OP while it has an APFSDS shell.

@Burtak:

The difference between WoT and AW is that a scout sitting in some field is inconsequential to a heavy tank that isn't under arty bombardment, simply because the scout doing damage to a non-retarded heavy driver won't happen 99% of the time. If he starts shooting, he will get counter spotted and so on. In AW, a scout can sit in a bush with 100% camo and full auto an HE autocannon that will do 500+ damage to the "heavy" tank it's shooting in the most armored part. Likwise, other invisible tanks can sit outside spotting range, but not render range and rapidly kill the poor guy who got lit.

In WoT, it is basically quite difficult to pen armored tanks from the front if the driver knows what he's doing but in AW, which has modern weaponry, all the shots go straight through and there are still missiles + cancer. Also, you will never find teamplay in WoT or AW because the games are designed around selfish solo play. There are no particular bonuses for platooning or doing well in conjunction with a teammate, whereas Battlefield has real alternatives to obtaining points (experience proxy) via capturing flags, giving ammo, spotting people, reviving and so on. There are no consequences to dying or failing, so teamplay can flourish as you learn the game. WoT and AW sends you back to the garage with 0 exp and creds for failing once, so teamplay can never develop.

Btw, the AW devs also confirmed some serious retardation in their latest patch notes:

New Feature - Base Capture Multipliers
• The Reputation and Credits earned from capturing an enemy base are now scaled based on the number of enemies alive at the time the base is captured. The more enemy players that are alive, the larger the bonus.
• This is to more heavily reward players who manage to accomplish epic base captures that decisively win the match, rather than just capturing a base with only one or two enemy stragglers alive.

Jesus christ, how horrifying. Keep in mind that no tanks on your team have to be dead, you just have to YOLO rush with 0 dmg to get this bonus. I can already imagine the 90 second battles happening because you can farm exp and creds 3 times faster this way.

Thats a good idea, but it should be player count differential rather than absolute total.

I disagree because even with differential, it will encourage low tier tanks to bush camp until the enemy has spread out and then lemming rush the base. Meanwhile, they could have helped their team do damage and win but can instead gain this bonus for doing nothing. If you think you're mad at passive bush camping turbonerds in WoT, then imagine your anger when they have a legitimate reason to do so here.

I disagree because even with differential, it will encourage low tier tanks to bush camp until the enemy has spread out and then lemming rush the base. Meanwhile, they could have helped their team do damage and win but can instead gain this bonus for doing nothing. If you think you're mad at passive bush camping turbonerds in WoT, then imagine your anger when they have a legitimate reason to do so here.

I don't think pubbies are smart enough to do that.

I don't think pubbies are smart enough to do that.

They were in WoT before WG nerfed the cap rewards: There is a very good reason why "no cap, kill all" became a phrase in the game and it's not because the teams were too stupid to cap rush or hide until it was possible. You have to consider this on the level of providing more experience for a lower level monster in a traditional MMO than for a higher level one: Why waste a lot of time farming monster X for low exp gain (here, shooting things) when you can farm monster Y at a much higher efficiency with lower risks (capping)?

After all, the tanks still have guns while lemming rushing, so if they DO get caught, they can still shoot stuff.

I disagree with this being considered more akin to an Alpha. It's closed beta, which in theory, can go on for quite a while. An Alpha build, to me, would be more of the terrain bugged, hitbox detection, glitching, etc.This clearly was a way to monetize (and it wasn't a horrible money grab either with a 14.99 low end buy in for access) the real desire for many of us to play what they were working on. It's far more complete than probably over half the steam early access games which I would consider, in most cases, to be more akin to an alpha build.

You compared it to WoT's open beta, this is closed :) I don't think they've placed a timeline on open beta yet? It feels like an open beta because some many people jumped in on the monetization and, of course, so many wotlabbers are recognizable in game that it feels familiar.

I don't think they're letting anyone buy any sort of premium yet. I did see premium tanks in play and these were dev accounts.

I'm seeing, in this thread, a lot of stuff about vision. In the 50 or so games I played I came to realize that a good scout in a platoon, which was previously stated in this thread, will just cause havok. I think they should crank down on the non-scout tanks vision even more and force teams to be dependent on scouts. Let's face it, most of us play platooned when we can anyways. We play solo when we're feeling anti-social or just want to get a few games in.

The closed alpha players was a much smaller pool and they learned how to work the mechanics in play is my assumption. This huge field of players is probably going to help a lot. Especially with many notable WoT players putting their voices in and I think this is where the mechanics may see some radical changing. For example, that scorpion needs a nerf and the lav-150 a buff. I know deusmortis and a couple others say it's OP, but hell, I was out of the scorpion (which was a joy to play) somewhere between 5-10 battles with the damage output it has. I was 10-20 in the LAV-150 and I hated the thing. I would have loved it more if spotting had been weighted more than damage for scouts than it currently is.

Many of the flaws we found are already known like the zoomed in mouse being twitchy or the sideways turret on the LAV-150 when zoomed.

And Fiaura, you know that WoT was full of imbalance (many would say still full of imbalance) when it was released. The game has changed so radically from release that it's hardly even the same game. From a complete graphics overhaul to physics, WoT is just a completely different game. The power creep isn't handled well and that nerf hammer comes way too long after tanks have been abused. It's not fair to compare the games at all at this point, and it really never will be. So far the intention with AW is to make the roles of the tank classes more defined with the vision, smoke, special arty rounds, etc. This is really necessary considering the MBT was the end of tank evolution. I mean, the M1 was, until the most recent Russian MBT release (T-14), the pinnacle of tank engineering since 1980. For 35 years one tank has ruled the battlefield and no amount of IFVs, light tanks, arty, tank destroyers, or (insert vehicle type here) held a candle to it. A modern tank game, before this year, ended at the M1A2 and that was that. I think the T-14 is exciting because it means US tankers have to get off their asses and start taking other tanks more serious :P

tl;dr

Let's get through the next year of AW and then rip on it. It's likely going to change radically from what we've seen so far.

The Terrain was bugged out in several places!  I saw one player actually exploiting this for personal gain by fitting his scorpion into the bugged terrain and using it to shield him.  And the tanks were bugged, I had my own tank fire the gun and do a summers-alt  I just stared for almost 20 seconds in disbelief.

I wasn't comparing it to WoT's open Beta I said it had a long way to go to reach that stage.

Your other points I am more than aware of and agree with.

Wait, T-64 is lower tired than T-72? Are there some other versions of T-64?

T-64 ingame is the initial production model with the 115mm.

T-64 ingame is the initial production model with the 115mm.

Cool, so they most certainly will introduce the later and upgraded variants that shit on anything from that era. Im interested how will they tier it and ballance it.

Btw, the AW devs also confirmed some serious retardation in their latest patch notes:

I'm petty worried about this as well.  As far as I can see, there's one saving grace that could make this actually work:  The caps are fairly indefensible, especially when compared to WoT.  There is very little in the way of cover.  Cap rushers might be easy pickings.  Only time will tell.

I'm petty worried about this as well.  As far as I can see, there's one saving grace that could make this actually work:  The caps are fairly indefensible, especially when compared to WoT.  There is very little in the way of cover.  Cap rushers might be easy pickings.  Only time will tell.

The only one that has good cover is Cold Strike North with the crates. Other than that they're huge, open and have high ground covering them. It's maybe the only bit of map design where I'd say Obsidian have done a significantly and consistently better job than WG have on their best maps.

I found it almost impossible to defend against cappers if I wasn't already in the neighborhood: Despite AW having a bit more speed and agility tank-wise, it still takes most of the cap period to cross ~50% of the map due to the map layouts. It is actually quite difficult to enter the cap zone to begin with and many of them require passing through very dangerous terrain and along long and curvy paths.

The only true way to counter a good cap rush is base camping and then we're back to square one.

Despite AW having a bit more speed and agility tank-wise

Except every MBT I've played has mobility comparable or slightly worse than your average WoT HT. Even the Leopard 1 won't reach 30km/h unless you stick to a road or go down a hill.

Except every MBT I've played has mobility comparable or slightly worse than your average WoT HT. Even the Leopard 1 won't reach 30km/h unless you stick to a road or go down a hill.

MBTs were cancer in the previous build, we'll see tomorrow if they've improved them. The lighter stuff was quite speedy and agile, though, but didn't have much chance of decapping either.

Atleast they fixed the M60 a bit. Goddamn was it useless before early access, god that tank was literally cancer. Maybe it was just my extremely bad luck, I couldn't hit a barn 20m infront of me.

So my road to Leopard 2 begins tomorrow. :D

Atleast they fixed the M60 a bit. Goddamn was it useless before early access, god that tank was literally cancer. Maybe it was just my extremely bad luck, I couldn't hit a barn 20m infront of me.

So my road to Leopard 2 begins tomorrow. :D

That's how I felt about the pre-EA Leo 1.  Had almost no chance of hitting a target at 300m.

So far preformance wise this test seems to be worse, last test i droped from 25-30ish fps to 10 fps every now and then, now i'm droping every 10-20 seconds. >.>