SFC_Storm

Hidden gems of the premium lower tier variety

Seeing Assassins praise of he M22 Locust gave me an idea and hope to start a thread of hidden lower tier gems.

I used to see anything sub T7 Prem as useless because income and training exp where both garbage but that just isnt true anymore.

I want your opinions of the top 3 underrated/favorite T6 or less premium tanks. I would also like to hear why you love it so much and what it excels at.

I want to start playing some lowertier games on my T95e2 alt and want to see my options. It seems like they always have shit pen and need gold but maybe im way off.

Also I`ll take submissions for tanks that can farm credits super well at its tier as well, but only 1 of the top 3 can be so.  Is there any amazing tanks I missed out on?

So whats the most fun prem? The best crew trainer? The best true cred grinder [when using gold is in account]?

Please help me.

oh man comrade you have not heard of the glorious KV-220 and Churchill 3 those 2 are like kicking puppies and clubbing seals at tier 5, but I love the FCM 36 pak 40 it is a slow marder 2 at tier 3 but get a vision oriented map and farm damage, even in tier 5 it punches tier 5s.  

Tetrarch sucks. The fuck you need 120 pen for? Get a tank that has more reasonable pen without the atrocious HP/gunhandling/viewrange/dpm of the Tet.

T-127 is great. Usually. Churchill is pretty good, but the T5 KV-1S is pretty rough. I hear the RAM is good, but havent tried it myself.

oh man comrade you have not heard of the glorious KV-220 and Churchill 3 those 2 are like kicking puppies and clubbing seals at tier 5, but I love the FCM 36 pak 40 it is a slow marder 2 at tier 3 but get a vision oriented map and farm damage, even in tier 5 it punches tier 5s.  

Churchill III is glorious with dat 180mm pen APCR.

RiP KV-220s.

that aside, Valentine II is also a fun tank. Insane traverse, insane hovercraft terrain resistance, great armor, underwhelming gun but is always top tier (locked MM).

Other tanks i'd highly recommend are the SU-100Y (boombox), BT-SV (expensive as all hell though), and (if it ever pops up again) Su-76I.

Favourites:

Churchill III <- Insane crew trainer, doesn't require gold ammo in most situations, decent income

Excelsior <- Requires sprem in most games, fun to play, though

T-127 <- Low tier clubber. Good tier 3, and doesn't see tier 5 tanks on top of that.

But for my KV220 I need Gold spam. Does the Churchill not?

T-127

Why is 127 so good? 

Churchill III is glorious with dat 180mm pen APCR.

RiP KV-220s.

that aside, Valentine II is also a fun tank. Insane traverse, insane hovercraft terrain resistance, great armor, underwhelming gun but is always top tier (locked MM).

Other tanks i'd highly recommend are the SU-100Y (boombox), BT-SV (expensive as all hell though), and (if it ever pops up again) Su-76I.

TY good sir

Fuck what the masses say, the Chi Nu Kai is hilarious and prints money. +1 to Honorabru engineeringu

It has been my favorite so far actually. Its pen is just great. And when you learn to Chai Snipe and never expose yourself its amazing.

The Matilda IV is pretty nice if you have a good knowledge of weak spots. Lots of people don't like it, but it's my goto tier 5 pref. The T-25 is also a rather nice prem since it's got a nice HP pool, a decent gun and good speed.

The Matilda IV is pretty nice if you have a good knowledge of weak spots. Lots of people don't like it, but it's my goto tier 5 pref. The T-25 is also a rather nice prem since it's got a nice HP pool, a decent gun and good speed.

T-25 was awful for me it's like an fcm at the tier with shit view range

Matilda IV I have no idea how I managed 68% 964pdg in but it's utter garbage even with full gold

ram2 has to be my favorite, high dpm pewpew gun combined with over 600hp and decent mobility make it a monster.

Why is 127 so good? 

- Very good armor all around for a tier 3 (turret, front, sides, and even rear is decent)

- Limited MM (no tier 5 matches)

The armor layout is somewhat similar to an IS-6. You can angle it quiet well and even side-scraping works. Most tier 3 tanks except TD's you can bounce easily with a little angling (many even without) as long as they don't shoot gold. Angle enough and you can even bounce TD's and gold shells from time to time. And the tank is pretty much immune against all those auto-canons (Pz.Ic for example). Limited MM is a big bonus as well since, apart from TD's, tier 3 tanks simply do not have the penetration (even with gold) to deal with many tier 5 tanks.

I'm currently using it as a crew trainer to train a new crew up to the first skill. Playing only doubles and stuff crew training progresses quiet nicely. I also have the LTP which was a gift tank some time ago and so I can basically grab doubles/triples twice with the same crew.

SU-100Y (beastmode)

Ram II (Churchill III gun on more mobile platform)

B2 (top tier every battle, fast and heavy for ramming, cheap gold for spamming)

They've both been said but I'd recommend

1. the KV-220 and I don't use gold spam that much in that tank. Pref MM plus solid armor that can troll and pretty good gun depression for a Russian heavy.  

2. RamII DPM monster with no gold needed, awesome gun depression, very good HP for tier and no one takes you seriously until after they are flanked, fucked and dead.

I am really thinking about T-127 just for the low tier lolz

The T-25 and the KV-220 are my go-to tanks at tier V.

The T-25 may be awkward for some to use, but it packs several great attributes that make it fearsome. Its HP is as good/better than same tier HTs, the gun is among the best for tier V prems and the straightline speed rivals that of the T49. Those three stats alone can allow you to carry games and beat other tanks into submission. It's quite similar to a T49 that has traded its camo for a ton of HP and slightly better protection to HE.

KV-220 is the maus at tier V. Meh gun on a fearsome chassis. Mount spall liner on it and watch tier V arty do no damage. Side scrape and eat up tier VI's guns like they're nothing. The only true weakness of the tank is relentless APCR spammers and people who know that your turret is actually scheisse except for the mantlet.

Only one mention of the Pak40 isn't enough, the thing is retardedly OP on quite a few maps.

That's the problem with it though. It's retardedly OP in a few maps... and hopelessly useless in other. The piss poor engine really lets it down.

Hmm... I like the KV-220 but I don't play it much anymore... T-25 is pretty nice as well... I haven't played the Ram2 enough because I tend to take the Fury out nowadays.

I know my opinion is limited, but I have the Church III and have named it "creeping death".  As mentioned, the MM means you rarely use any gold ammo and get to spend a lot of time pinging the crap out of T1 Heavies and other juicy heavy tanks.  The only downside is that since you are slow, you can't really shift fronts when needed to save the team from horrible noob mistakes.  305 games and 54% WR for me so I've been happy - plus my crew is now on their 3rd skill, ready to take the jump into an IS.

As much as one can utterly destructifyoriliseationzap things in tier V premie-heavies (KV220, Excelsior & C3) I always get fed up with losing due to being outcap. The speed can be annoying, it's why imo the Excel is the best. It has the mobility to compensate.

The other downside is I find low tiers require much more gold. Tier 8 premiums never need gold, I find, as do many 7s but tier 6 and below is agony.

I have the Locust, will try it tonight.

What else fits the bill of speed and vision abuse? I'd gather vision abuse would be the most powerful tool against lower tier opponents, people just won't know about view range.