TheMarine0341

Tanks which can make you a better player

Thought about this a little bit while I was pleasantly grinding the Leo PTA: What tanks have you played, which you felt really made you a better player? IE, the learning curve to make that tank successful challenged your previous way of getting things done, and made you approach tanks differently?

My Hard Knock Tanks:

Leo PTA

Why? Taking return fire is just utterly devastating. Learning how to position to get damage without taking any in return from a medium tank perspective is something I need to better apply to my RU Meds

T-34-3

Why? Gun handling and depression are not there. At all. Learning to use terrain features to create the depression is a huge bonus. As far as gun handling goes, though... well, thats what food is for I guess

IS6/KV1

Why? I learned how to play the game in these tanks and even though I havent touched the KV1 in about 7 months, its still my 3rd most played tank. I learned how to win in these tanks, and to brawl.

I need to revisit the PTA soon and work on not fronting, again (Thanks, Crab, for pointing this out to me!) and work on my positioning again. Over the 60 days Ive really let my play slip BIG time. Cant have that!

Hm... tanks that I have learned in...

I did all my advanced learning in the 121. :C

Though, I am definitely inclined to agree with you on the T-34-3, play that for 250 games and you will watch the terrain you're on like a hawk. And if there's something I've learned driving tanks that do have gun depression. you still need to observe the terrain in order to be hull down, a good deal of experience in the 343 helps with this.

I learned a lot in the Type 64... I learned a lot in scout tanks in general, mostly getting a feel for vision mechanics, but also knowing when to be aggressive and rush things.

140/62a: went from 2.8k to 3.5k recent over the matter of 2 months by learning how to react to situations properly.

140/62a: went from 2.8k to 3.5k recent over the matter of 2 months by learning how to react to situations properly.

That or the 62a has the expected of a turd.

I would agree with the pta but would disagree with the KV1 and IS6. Those tanks (IMHO) are basically easy mode and don't help players improve as they make up for your mistakes with how good their armor is and how much they can sway a single battle.

Also this^

I would agree with the pta but would disagree with the KV1 and IS6. Those tanks (IMHO) are basically easy mode and don't help players improve as they make up for your mistakes with how good their armor is and how much they can sway a single battle.

Also this^

IS6 and KV1 just taught me how to win. Yes they were easy mode, but I had to start someplace!

OOOOOO definitely has to be the T62a and 140.  All I have played my entire world of tanks career is slow, well armored heavy tanks/TDs.  Now with mediums, I had to learn how to flank, spot, camo up, abuse the camo mechanics in general.

Heavies taught me how to attack/defend/wear people down.  Mediums have taught me how to pick successful fights and flanking/camo/spotting.  I feel like I'm complete now :)

great. im spam playing the 140 right now, learned how to play it non potato after 20 matches and hovering around 2250

Also this^

KV-1 teaches people how to angle and how to deal with poor mobility. The mobility and bad gun handling teach people how to think ahead, for sure.

It would make a 2-300 point difference, maybe. Its still an 800 point jump for me, so there's that.

Honestly it was my first 2 10's.  E-100 and IS-7.  100 really taught me about early game positioning and how to hold a flank/push a flank yourself.  IS-7 taught me how to make use of a shitty gun and (relative) speed

I have been playing the E50M on my friends account and am hovering around 3.6k now on it. WR is only like 60% cause solopub tier 10 for life.

Its only been about 15 games, but I love the tank, and its teaching me when to commit my hit points to pushes and such rather than the attrition style I had been using with the 62A.

I know what I am grinding post Batchat.  <3 E50M

Lorraine 40t/French heavies: learn to not get shot at, clip management, flex factor, picking your fights, and map awareness

ELC AMX- Camo hax and scouting, both active and passive

ARL 44- taught me armor angling and peek-a-boom (with the 105mm), as well as support/mid-range combat (with the long 90)

Pz. 1C- taught me that it is ok to have fun while still trying to win

I still am not a master at any of these ( I'm still lolbad@tonks) but without these tanks I wouldn't be where I am today.

The Douchewagen 2 for me. First proper "box tank" that made me learn to angle, and about the gloriousness that is the short 7.5cm with HE.

In all seriousness, it helped me pave the way for the tiger 1, and to also make me more aware on where I could and could not be effective. Learning weak spots on tonks and to prioritise targets were the side effects of using this tank.

Yes, it was a turd, but by dam n it made me a better player for using it.

great topic.

The Obj 140 has definitely taught me a ton.  Its an unforgiving tier, and many things that I got away with at lower tiers were harshly punished.

There is also a lot of learning from running french autoloaders (and the FCM 50t).  these have made me much more intentional with my positioning, starting locations, and how I play in general.   

Looking forward to the combined shitstorm of playing tier 10 french autoloaders...

I would say that personally scout tanks taught me how to play better overall. Scouts punish you so hard when you get them wrong but are so rewarding when played right. Also, a lot of gameplay (flanking, camo sniping) that you are forced to master in scouts often directly translates to playing mediums.

Hm... tanks that I have learned in...

I did all my advanced learning in the 121. :C

Though, I am definitely inclined to agree with you on the T-34-3, play that for 250 games and you will watch the terrain you're on like a hawk. And if there's something I've learned driving tanks that do have gun depression. you still need to observe the terrain in order to be hull down, a good deal of experience in the 343 helps with this.

I learned a lot in the Type 64... I learned a lot in scout tanks in general, mostly getting a feel for vision mechanics, but also knowing when to be aggressive and rush things.

Mind expanding on your experience in the 121?

I do well in WZ-120 and absolutely opposite in 121 ( I think a small part of it is the crew I had in the 121 was pretty unskilled).

I just seem to flex better with WZ-120, relocate to suitable positions esp if changing flanks or responding to cap.

I am thinking of trying 121 again with a good crew.

Leopard PTA for me too. And Object 140 because it was my first tier 10.