Panther 8.8  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Is it shit?

• Not shit.
    • Another Panther? No thanks.
    • Going to get the T-55A, so why bother?
    • Shit to the extreme.

Can someone who actually owns one and has played a decent amount of battles in it give us a run down on how it plays and performs? 

That would be wonderful.

That would be wonderful.

I would expect that might take a while, considering the tank was only released to an English speaking audience on Monday. I also doubt many relevant people will get it as it wasn't available on CT, you can't buy it for gold at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be ridiculously broken either.

Anyway, you could always watch a few replays on wotreplays.com while waiting for relevant people to form an opinion on this thing. I'm sure somebody will gift one to Garbad sooner rather than later.

Can't figure out why anyone would pick this up when they could grab an FCM. Size, MM weight and +150 DPM are the only things beyond needing a high-tier German med trainer I can think of. 

FCM offers better pen, hp/ton, depression, viewrange, traverse, ammo capacity, armor, aim time, pref mm, etc, etc, etc

Can't figure out why anyone would pick this up when they could grab an FCM. Size, MM weight and +150 DPM are the only things beyond needing a high-tier German med trainer I can think of. 

FCM offers better pen, hp/ton, depression, viewrange, traverse, ammo capacity, armor, aim time, pref mm, etc, etc, etc

+1, exactly.  Since the rumors began I've been saying it will be a clearly worse choice to the FCM without the pref MMing. Too bad, I wanted a decent t8 medium to train my leopard crew, not wasting money on this though.

Ive played around 20 games with it so far, and i have to say its a capable tank. The gun handling is great, with a good DPM and decent pen, and when in hull down/sidescraping positions it can trade and bleed very well. I cannot personally compare it to the panther 2 as I myself am 20, 000 exp away from unlocking it but its playstyle is very similar to the panther 1, ei, bleed the enemy from hulldown/sidescraping positions, keep your gun active as much as possible, don't trade shot for shot and act as a force multiplier with your decent dpm to quickly finish off enemies. The credit income is very good and you can shoot alot of gold and still come out with a hefty profit. The MM is so far pretty good ive only had a few tier X games since I bought it and even then I felt that I could contribute. I cannot compare to the FCM 50t since I don;t own one but I think this is a very solid choice for someone who wants to train german crews, make money and at the same time not get gimped by a below average tank.

I feel like this is going to get lost in the mix, but I made a discovery about the Panther 8.8. It can drive 46-47 kph downhill in reverse.

Wait, what? Replay pls!

Panther 8,8>t-34-3

If pref MM weren't taken into account, I could almost believe this.  With pref MM, though...

Now this thing could actually be interesting.

Just wonder why they reduce the price now. The -3 is still on full price, so no medium reason. Also don't think they reduced it because the sells went bad. I've seen a lot of 8.8s lately.

Do we have to pay some extra cash to get smm?

If panther 8.8 ~= panther 2 and panther 2 is decent, i really dont understand the hate this tank is getting. Its certainly not bad.

Most players here are viewing it as statpading machine and as such its not that great, but given that the purpose of a premium tank is to print credits, this tank is more than satisfactory.

Obviously you wont be able to fluff your wr/wn8 like in the is-6/fcm, but thats just not the point.

Buying premium tanks to raise your WR... LOL!

Panther 88 prints credits, at the cost of being fairly unenjoyable to drive due to no pref MM. FCM and IS-6 also print credits, but are much more enjoyable to drive.

Can you honestly say the Lowe is a satisfactory credit printer?

If there is an alternative (FCM) which had the same price and also several other advantages, it is only logical considering this tank as bad.

If there would be this tank only and not considering the alternatives it wouldn't be a bad choice. But since there is better stuff for your money. Noooo.

Now that is 4k cheaper than the FCM you can consider it as alternative.

Most players here are viewing it as statpading machine and as such its not that great, but given that the purpose of a premium tank is to print credits, this tank is more than satisfactory.

printing credits with it doesnt seem to work for the majority.

http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics.php?tier=0&tanktype=0&nation=0&premium=0&modeid=0&team=0&battles=1000&groupby=0&fieldname=creditsn

Panther 88 prints credits, at the cost of being fairly unenjoyable to drive due to no pref MM. FCM and IS-6 also print credits, but are much more enjoyable to drive.

Can you honestly say the Lowe is a satisfactory credit printer?

Well i enjoyed driving P2, so i presume i would enjoy 8.8 as well and if i had $£€¥ i would buy it because it looks really nice.

IS-6 mounts the retard gun i find only acceptable at tier 7, let alone on tier 8. You can, ofcuorse, switch to APCR, but that beats the purpuose of credit making.

FCM really does look similar to 8.8, but it is larger, the gun handles worse and it does cost more.

Lowe is less enjoyable due to lack of speed, same as T34 and SP, regardless of MM.

The 8.8 is really not that bad as people try to make it, after all its the only premuium tank thats virtually indentical to regular tier 8 tank.

Between 112 and is-6, guess lack of pref mm didnt hinder its crd making potential.

those numbers mean jack shit (and thats excluding that its not very representative)

the reason you ask?

Profit of a prem tank depends on income and cost, the income is mostly tied to dmg and spotting dmg (also kills i guess, assit dmg etc etc) so better dmg dealers earn more credits, and we all know this, HOWEVER, the more gold you need to shoot, the lower your income, gold ammo greatly cuts profit...

so an IS6 will be shot for farming credits, since its shit in dealing dmg, unless you shoot gold, which greatly cuts profit...

Panther-88 will, i think, be the best earner (for a good player) because it doesnt need much gold ammo and its normal ammo is stupid cheap aswell, 120k income with panther-88 means 100k profit, i dont think there much people who earned 100k profit with IS6...

Same T34 is also a good moneymaker, it doesnt really need gold shells, so while it will deal less dmg as IS6 on avg, the cost / dmg are way lower, meaning much greater profit... (winning / losing doesnt mean shit for credit gain)

ps: KV5 is strange in this aspect, because the total gain is just insane, easiest tank to get +100k credits, so while it is gold ammo hungry, the credit multiplier is so high that it still makes monster profit... (but thats the exception)

That's tricky because that is not compatible. If I check my credits on tanks and compare with my statistics there is a big difference. These stats show non-premium account income which makes a big difference.

I've found the Panth 88 to be a good addition to the prem 8 lineup. Sometimes you just want a nonpref tank to run with other people's 8s, and the Lowe and T34 are easily worse than this. In fact, the Panth has been surprisingly effective - the combination of high HP, good pen, and good DPM make it a viable close combat tank, while at range the accuracy and dpm really shine.

Yes, yes, it's nothing close to most of the pref 8s, and I'd never recommend it as a primary prem tank - but once you've got some T8 prems under your belt and are looking for something to round you out in nonpref 8s, the Panth 88 is by far the best. Fuck the T34 and Lowe, long live the Panther.