Panther 8.8  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Is it shit?

• Not shit.
    • Another Panther? No thanks.
    • Going to get the T-55A, so why bother?
    • Shit to the extreme.

Why not drive the FCM in that case?

There is a certain joy to having a vehicle that has a slightly better gun than the FCM in a somewhat fairly substantially smaller package. I'm definitely enjoying mine. Fun to play, prints credits at an absolutely absurd rate since it takes after the FCM in that you pretty much never need to fire APCR. I mean, I'd love it more if it were pref, but I'm quite happy with the vehicle even without it. It's better than a lot of standard t8 tanks, and finally a crew trainer for my E-50 & E-50M that I enjoy.

The FCM doesnt have the traits that make a T8 at all useful in T10. It's too big and has too little firepower, doesn't have any camo whatsoever, and even if you do manage to stay far enough away that being the size of a house doesn't get you spotted, the accuracy at that range is not nearly as good as the Panther's. Playing an FCM in a T10 match sucks. People either pay no attention to you because its not like you have any way of punishing them, or they DO pay attention to you and you die instantly.

I just got one and played 2 games with it. Dealt 3.5K damage and scored 3 kills in a T10 game. It is certainly workable. I like it a lot, just as Rexxie says it's the best regular T8 prem u could possibly have. Gun performance is just amazing, the rest is fine enough and 1500 HP are a LOT for a T8. A nice money earner when your clanmates grind T8 for some reason.

DO NOT BUY IT!

The worst point is it has 48 point of MM weight (equal tier 8 heavy) while clearly inferior to any tier 8 HT in game.

http://wotguru.com/tank-guide-panther-mit-8-8-cm-l71/

That's the case for most tier 8 medium tanks these days. Only a minority of them still have the classic tier 8 medium MM weight of 40 points.

That's the case for most tier 8 medium tanks these days. Only a minority of them still have the classic tier 8 medium MM weight of 40 points.

T-44 masterrace!

For an very old (8.6), but still relevant (i guess) table:

83e301e2672746bdca3d11f9e46749e7-704x102

So T44, Panther II and centurion have normal weight, anything else has heavy weight (Sta-2 was not released here i think)

So...how does p88 compare to FCM, funwise?

I'd think it makes similar amounts of credits, but for me to drive a prem tank, it also needs to be fun.

I'm done with being bored in T34, I don't need another one of those.

I'm considering getting it, since the price was lowered from the retardedly overpriced level, so a more reasonable one.

I just can't figure out if I should do it or not.

Sometimes I am missing a fun credit printing medium for when my FCM is still in a battle, destroyed.

I'd think it makes similar amounts of credits, but for me to drive a prem tank, it also needs to be fun.

I'm done with being bored in T34, I don't need another one of those.

I'm considering getting it, since the price was lowered from the retardedly overpriced level, so a more reasonable one.

I just can't figure out if I should do it or not.

Sometimes I am missing a fun credit printing medium for when my FCM is still in a battle, destroyed.

How much creditprinting do you need? M10 earns reasonably had premium mm and uses the same crew. I don't think that's as bad as people claim it is. This scrub player earns 15% less on the M10 than on tier 8 heavies... you should be able to do a bit better.

So, they dropped the price. Is ti more worthwhile now?

I assume it will be available for gold next patch, right?

The FCM 50t is more fun for me. Faster, better clicker protection, uniform gun depression to the front and sides. Having -5° to the front sucks, especially since it's a fairly large tank with no armor whatsoever.

But it's not horribad. You can still do medium tank things, it moves, it shoots rather fast. It's a slightly improved Panther II - if you liked that thing you'll like this Panther, too.

I thought prems weren't supposed to be better than regular tanks.

Apparently Wargaming thinks the "armor" and "speed" of the Panther II make this thing's gun buff reasonable.

Only the depression makes me think they haven't completely lost their minds.

I thought prems weren't supposed to be better than regular tanks.

Apparently Wargaming thinks the "armor" and "speed" of the Panther II make this thing's gun buff reasonable.

Only the depression makes me think they haven't completely lost their minds.

I liked the M10 better than the Panther 1 at 7.

This is my comparison of the Tiger I with the Panther 88 -

Similar characteristics

Power/Weight - check

Speed - check

HPs - check

View range - check

DPM - check

Aimtime - check

Accuracy - check

Armor - check

Camo rating - check

Only Terrain resistance and Turret traverse seems to be poor.  Which does not seem too bad if you consider it has a better tier spread "5-9" versus "6-10".  They say you need to play the Tiger (H) as a more of long-range sniper, as you should the Panthers, and it has similar camo rating to the Panther(s), and its armor is weak.  The similarities between the two are closer than you think, with the added bonus of not having to see tier 10s.  And a long-range sniper/support is not so concerned with Terrain Resistance and Turret traverse.

I prefer playing my Tiger I, than this tank.  If I want to fight Tier 10s, I'll use my E-50 or E-50M, the ultimate progression of German heavy mediums.

Well, you have to remember that terrain resistance is basically speed, the Panther 88's combined mobility characteristics basically make it twice as fast as the Tiger in almost any situation. The Panther also manages to have a better aimtime, less bloom, and better accuracy. That's not too shabby, considering the Tiger is a really damn good tier 7. Also every time I hear someone say to play the Tiger H like a sniper I puke a little, sorry.

So Rexxie, should I consider dropping gold on the Panther 88 then when it enters the Store next patch?

I bought FCM 50T and Panther 8.8 last Christmas and I did around 15 fights in each . I really like the Panther 8.8 more, the gun handling is amazing, is even better than Lowe. It became fast my favorite T8 money maker and I have Lowe, T34, IS-6, T26E4 SP, Jagdtiger 8.8 and now FCM 50T. Also for crew training I prefer it instead of Panther M10.

My impression is biased of course, as I use in Panther 8.8, E 50 three skills crew  and in FCM 50T is fresh crew with 65% camo. I mainly play German, Soviet and American thanks, I don’t have any France, British or Chinese Tanks/Crews and Japanese only tier 6 .

I used initially VS, RAMMER, Optics for both tanks, but I switched later Optics for Vents in FCM 50T due to the poor gun handling.

I missed a lot of shoots and I get in more city maps.

My comparison between these two tanks:

Panther is smaller and have better camo ratting. After each shot FCM is lighted up in my assumption, as I don’t have yet 6th Sense.

Gun handling is much better on Panther also the DPM is higher. FCM have better penetration 212 vs 203, but when you need 9 mm more pen?

FCM has better gun depression, so advantage on cliff fights.

Maneuverability is slightly better on FCM but really I don’t fill big differences.

Armor nothing to be mentioned on both, even I bounce some shoots from lower tiers on Panther and tracks save me some times on FCM.

FCM have preferential MM, but in Panther you don’t see so many X tier, less than 20% in my opinion.

I’m German box tanks fan, so how I said my opinion is biased.

/have fun.     

I bought the p88, and I really enjoy it.

I like the gun better than the one on FCM, and the DPM is also better.

It also seems to earn more money per game than FCM.

Prviously, the FCM was my fav prem tonk. If it wasn't for the stupid WZ mission, I would play the P88 all the time. 

I bought this after price reduction. Gun is great, but lack of depression, armor and camo make it hard to utilize. So far (40ish battles) I've been mostly sucking in it, too aggressive I guess. Poor speed means I can't flee when brown stuff hits the fan. It also means flanking is hard. Should just stick to sniping.