Panther 8.8  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Is it shit?

• Not shit.
    • Another Panther? No thanks.
    • Going to get the T-55A, so why bother?
    • Shit to the extreme.

Bought it yesterday. Initial reaction after a few battles: sluggish acceleration, but cruises around 40-45. Nice gun, good dpm, accurate. I made some thread-the-needle shots. I did troll-bounce some shots off the side armor. Depression wasn't an issue because i tried to avoid areas whede it would be.

After this very small sample, i like the gun,and overall size, better than my fcm. Imo it's a keeper for crew training/credits.

(This opinion may change after sample size increases) :)

I really have the urge to buy this. 20 quid isn't much, and the E50 and Leo are two of my favourite tanks and both have 3-4 skill crews with full camo, bia & gunnery/view skills.

I got a t343 for credit generation but cannot stand the dep. As long as the P88 is fun to play and feels good to drive I think it will be worth it. It sounds like a tier 8 Tiger. It will also be a great thing to utilise when tooning with tier 8 grinds, to make hugepiles of credits.

One of the main reasons I find playing tier 8 premiums difficult is the gun handling. The 34-3, the IS6 and all the other 'good' ones have derpy gun handling. Being able to comfortably land shots and move acceptably would be great.

Only downside is needing the million and a half credits to give it equipment. That said I can steal it all from the 34-3.

I just wonder what the expected damage will be when it's updated next time.

Surely it can't keep being as retardedly low as now.

Barely 1800 dpg and 3k WN8.

That's just silly.

You almost only need to pick it in the garage,look at it in a lovingly manner and it will instantly poops out WN8.

I have picked this up today.

First game in it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44706403/tanks/new/shot_084.jpg

I now officialy declare this tank is best thing ever, approved by my highness self :biglaugh:

(If i, lowly 51% pubbie shitter can do THAT in it, in first match - its good. Really good.)

I should probably mention, for fairness,  it was a t8 match  and that i do love Panther line, and i have semi decent crew in it.

However, if you dont like panthers - you will not like this one as well. If you do - its very good and easy to use.

So, now after about 70 battles, this is what I have found out:

It earns pretty well.

I have tracked all expenditures, and netto I earn 49,018 credits per battle. This is with premium.

I am a pretty mediocre player, so I'd expect someone with skill to be able to make 60k easy.

Compared to FCM, I have made on average 54,605 credits per game.

So FCM makes more credits.

I have to say though, in FCM I have a 3 skill crew, and in my P88 I don't even have 6th sense.

The thing is: I enjoy the Panther 88 more.

I don't know if it is just because it is new, or because I like the gun handling a lot more, but I seem to have more fun driving the P88.

I have platooned with this tank on 2 occasions, and both times I have been asked "why would you get that PoS?".

It seems to have a rather bad reputation, and I think it's a bit unjust. It's not really really good, but I don't think it's bad either.

I's say it's nice addition to anyone who like accurate guns and premium tanks where you don't have to spam apcr/heat to pen.

My advice is:

If you like medium tanks and want an enjoyable tier 8 medium, get FCM.

If you already have the FCM or would like something with more fun gun ,better DPM, better camo and able to grind German crews without having to suffer tier 5 games or 150 penetration in tier 8, get the P88.

Tried it on the test server, not really seeing it. Not awful or anything... the accuracy, DPM, and overall handling are satisfying, but against higher tiers it's lacking. Without a good gold round or the ability to flank its impact is rather limited when your stuck as the low man. I like the Panther, but I'm not seeing bumping the gun up a little and +200 HPs as worth going up an entire tier over-especially when the Panther isn't exactly an OPmobile in the first place. It also did not seem to make very good credits for a tier 8 premium, nothing severe but 2700 damage netted me about 80% of what it seems like I should have gotten. With sheltered it would be OP as heck, but with standard MM it feels like a bully that doesn't fight above its weight. I think I will test it some more though.

vbaddict has it doing alright overall on damage/wins, but its credit earnings are noticeably fail, the worst of all the tier 8 prems. They'll probably buff the earnings soon though. But then a new tank doing middling on wins isn't exactly a good sign, the earlier adopters are going to be experienced players mostly.

Yeah, I like the Panther (grinding it now) so I tried this on the CT server. I don't see it either. Outclassed at T10 on most maps since it's just not a brawler. Doesn't feel that great at T8. Not into snipey mediums when there are much more fun attack mediums to play. I realize we don't have much choice in T8 premium meds, but I like the FCM better and like the SPersh better on the CT server.

It's more mobile than I expected, I but I think I'd rather play the IP.

The Indien Panzer?  If so, the Panther 8,8 has it beat in basically every stat minus gun depression and signal range.  Every single gun stats is better and the paper stats for mobility are mostly as well (it's been a while since I played the Indien so I forget if it can actually reach its top speed).

The Indien Panzer?  If so, the Panther 8,8 has it beat in basically every stat minus gun depression and signal range.  Every single gun stats is better and the paper stats for mobility are mostly as well (it's been a while since I played the Indien so I forget if it can actually reach its top speed).

The Indien Panzer got buffed a while back. I unlocked it before it was buffed and didn't play it much. I finished it some time after the buff.

Apparently, pre-buff it was pretty bad.

Personally, post-post, I found it to be superb. Good mobility coupled with a great gun.

The Panther 8.8 feels a lot like the Panther 2, so it's pleasantly more mobile than the Panther (Which is godawful in terms of mobility), but not so mobile as to be that fun to play.

Also, Tank Compare seems to disagree with your assessment of the weapons.

EDIT: Woops, I was looking at the Pan2 gun stats :-) It seems the P88 does have decent gun stats, although it's worth noting that the AP and APCR pen of the 90mm on the IP is superior (In the case of the APCR, significantly so...)

The Indien Panzer got buffed a while back. I unlocked it before it was buffed and didn't play it much. I finished it some time after the buff.

Apparently, pre-buff it was pretty bad.

Personally, post-post, I found it to be superb. Good mobility coupled with a great gun.

The Panther 8.8 feels a lot like the Panther 2, so it's pleasantly more mobile than the Panther (Which is godawful in terms of mobility), but not so mobile as to be that fun to play.

Also, Tank Compare seems to disagree with your assessment of the weapons.

EDIT: Woops, I was looking at the Pan2 gun stats :-) It seems the P88 does have decent gun stats, although it's worth noting that the AP and APCR pen of the 90mm on the IP is superior (In the case of the APCR, significantly so...)

As far as I can tell from just paper stats and reviews, it seems the Panther 88 is simply a well balanced premium. Ergo tad bit weaker than th regular tanks but still capable.

Now su-122-44 where was I?

It really is properly good tank. I dont understand why  people are bitching SO MUCH about it.

In fact - if you are biased by bad press, that you hate it before you even tried it - dont get it. Its that simple. Noone perform well in a tank (or tankstyle) they dont like. If you played and hated Panther line of Germans - for sure dont get it, no brainer.

When you strip down bad propaganda, and test it with "open heart and clear mind" - you will find it to be a decent T8 tank, dangerously close to normal elited T8 tonks.

And for a premium tank - thats a lot. (Ffs, just compare it to Spershing - Panther seems like a normal, proper tank)

It really is properly good tank. I dont understand why  people are bitching SO MUCH about it.

In fact - if you are biased by bad press, that you hate it before you even tried it - dont get it. Its that simple. Noone perform well in a tank (or tankstyle) they dont like. If you played and hated Panther line of Germans - for sure dont get it, no brainer.

When you strip down bad propaganda, and test it with "open heart and clear mind" - you will find it to be a decent T8 tank, dangerously close to normal elited T8 tonks.

And for a premium tank - thats a lot. (Ffs, just compare it to Spershing - Panther seems like a normal, proper tank)

It seems to have a high skill floor, low skill ceiling.

Its fine for bad players (high HP + high AP pen = friendly to noobs), but the crippling combination of terribad apcr, terribad mobility, high profile and low camo (not to mention next-to-no armor) make it hard to carryhardTM in.

It's just a waste of money bottom line. Just get a regular panther 2.

I wouldn't say that either.

For a yellow to high green/low blue player i'd recommend it, since its semi-forgiving.

But attempting high DPG in it is an exercise in frustration and map-praying. Tier 10 game on a city map? RIP RIP RIP.

It's just a waste of money bottom line. Just get a regular panther 2.

Have you actually played the Pan2?

Because I'm working it right now and it is NOT fun...

I will quote you from one of your posts above "The Panther 8.8 feels a lot like the Panther 2" . And if it feels a lot like it and it is NOT fun. Why I should spend real money on something what is not fun if I can get the not fun part also for free?