Panther 8.8  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Is it shit?

• Not shit.
    • Another Panther? No thanks.
    • Going to get the T-55A, so why bother?
    • Shit to the extreme.

The P8.8 was WGs worst blunder ever. A tier VIII med with the pricetag of a heavy, that was removed from the testserver so noone could drive it before buying.

It seemed nice, almost a P2 in the times when prem tanks were considered to be noteably weaker then silver tanks.

But WG tweaked it in the hidden stats. Bad camo, bad bloom, arkward depression on top of the usual anemic dpm made it simply horrible. It was so bad that WG even refunded part of the gold to the buyers but even with the "reduced" pricetag it wasn't worth shit. In it's shadow ran the STA-2, which was also shit as released but got buffed significantly with awesome dispersion while the P8.8 got the unified gun depression angles and thats it.

This is by far the worst tier VIII prem tank, it wouldn't even be good with limited MM...

So Hall0 mentioned this in the Upcoming Changes forum section

6 hours ago, hall0 said:

Yeah it is a german community thing I guess. 

We have this, what´s called "Community Stammtisch" once every 1-2 months. Simply put. A german WG Employee sits with some people from the community in a TS channel and we talk about stuff for 2-3 hours. 
And the rebalance of the german techtree is a hot topic. (who would have guessed :P). One statement was, if i can remember it correctly, they have a special plan for the heavy tree. 
Now after the US Kingtiger and the release of this tank. For me it is clear what the plan is. 

btw. A rebalance of the E50 line is coming as well. Including the Panther 88.

Which makes me wonder... what should WG to unfuck the Panther 88?
I might be wrong, but I'm going to assume that dropping it to tier 7 is off the table.

But what we have here is a Panther tank with the 88mm gun. The panther tank chassis isn't very good for tier 8, and frankly the 88mm gun isn't that good for tier 8 either. What could be done? I have a few ideas, none of them seem good though.

1. Artificially inflate the Panther 88's armor values. Basically turn it into a quasi-E50 for its tier. IMO it would be very strange for this tank to suddenly become more durable than the Panther II. It would work but, IMO, is the most boring option.

2. Artificially inflate the 88mm gun's hard stats. IDK what this would accomplish beyond just turning it into a weird Panther II with the L/100 gun.

3. Hyperbuff the soft stats. Give it the same DPM as the Jagdtiger 88. This option would maybe be a bit odd, but IMO it would be hilarious.

4. Turn it into the TurboPanther.

I doubt they'll change it into anything more interesting. If they had that option they'd be selling it as a new tank. Suspecting the trivial buffs mentioned in other thread are more likely.

11 hours ago, Tupinambis said:

1. Artificially inflate the Panther 88's armor values. Basically turn it into a quasi-E50 for its tier. IMO it would be very strange for this tank to suddenly become more durable than the Panther II. It would work but, IMO, is the most boring option.

2. Artificially inflate the 88mm gun's hard stats. IDK what this would accomplish beyond just turning it into a weird Panther II with the L/100 gun.

3. Hyperbuff the soft stats. Give it the same DPM as the Jagdtiger 88. This option would maybe be a bit odd, but IMO it would be hilarious.

4. Turn it into the TurboPanther.

Let us take a look here. Given Pz 58 Mutz and lndien Pz getting good increases, no reason to believe Panther 88 and AMXCDC won't see general buffs soon as well. Starting off with Panther 88, the vehicle can be corrected to normal competency with a few steps:

--* providing it the same unique L71 AP pen on Jag Tiger 88,  212mm AP rounds. This gives it good enough gains, without intruding on Panther ll Long 88 pen advantage. Prem APCR stays the same at 237

--* gun aim-time boost to 2.2.  Not sure why the aim-time is so bad, panther ll has better aim-time with Long 88, FV (P) has better aim time with 2Olber

--* Increase rate of fire like Tiger ll with 88, or Tiger H with 88,  8.96 ROF. This matches it with FCM5O  ROF  increase, which helps Panther 88 pull ahead in DPM over others like FCM5O and Lansen, a trait it used to be strong in

--* increase speed limit to 55, like other Panther tanks. Give it new powertrain Maybach HL 33O, decreasing its weight further 55Okg, thereby increasing HP/T by  .25

l think these are enough as part of a balanced buffing. lmportant to note, Panther 88 already has exceptional soft stats, in both terrain resistances and gun dispersions, so those do not need improvement. Only the gun aim-time is abnormally long. Panther also has strong HP, so a health bonus isn't needed either, and tier 1O level 39Om view range is good as is.