cfsf1

Is Vent > Gun Laying Drive?

Yeah, GLD is one of those things that are really bad outside of a few select vehicles (183). The fact it only works when stationary is a bigger problem than it seems, and even when it does work the improvement is still terrible compared to vstab.

There are some tanks where I'd suggest it, but those are pretty much only tanks without vstab.

I use GLD on anything with more than 2.3 sec aim time

Including type 59/T-44/FCM/Pershing.

Aimtime is just one of these things that people don't take too seriously but actually makes a pretty big difference.

Vents by itself is rather 'meh', but its benefit increases substantially when paired with BiA and food.  Regardless, it's still better than a GLD on most tanks.

Vents give you a static improvement to your aim time, you don't aim any faster with a 2.3s gun than a 3.4s gun.

GLD gives you a 10% improvement relative to the gun's aim time, you gain more when using GLD on a 3.4s gun than a 2.3s gun. Consequentially, you'll gain little to no benefit from using GLD on a 1.7s gun.

There are points where the effects of vents will become greater than GLD, but most people (myself included) are too lazy to crunch out numbers. Hence we use the arbitrary value of 2.3s aim time as a reference threshold for GLD or no GLD. This doesn't take into account of bloom yet.

I only use a GLD on tanks that I actually aim in. Brawling heavies like the IS-7 or WZ-111 have given me far better results with vents, despite the bad gun handling. This assumes you've also got food and BIA to stack with vents. Vent on its own is terrible.

IDK, most of the time I am not on the move in my heavies.  Stop, aim, fire is the name of the game for me, then proceed to move again.  I only fire on the move when I absolutely have to, I try to make every shot count because it may come back to bite me in the ass.  So to me, a GLD can outweigh vents in certain tanks.

Vents give you a static improvement to your aim time, you don't aim any faster with a 2.3s gun than a 3.4s gun.

GLD gives you a 10% improvement relative to the gun's aim time, you gain more when using GLD on a 3.4s gun than a 2.3s gun. Consequentially, you'll gain little to no benefit from using GLD on a 1.7s gun.

There are points where the effects of vents will become greater than GLD, but most people (myself included) are too lazy to crunch out numbers. Hence we use the arbitrary value of 2.3s aim time as a reference threshold for GLD or no GLD. This doesn't take into account of bloom yet.

I've mostly stopped using GLD now, unless the tank either can't fit a vstab (low tier) or can't fit a rammer (autoloader). GLD is only useful, even on long aim time tanks, if you sit through almost the entire aim animation so the difference is noticeable. If you move while firing or snapshot, there's no reason for the GLD at all and the minor passive bonuses from vents probably add up to a better general advantage (especially combined with BiA/food). On top of that, if you are in a position safe enough to benefit fully from GLD, you're probably also in a position that means you don't actually need it.

Vents by itself is rather 'meh', but its benefit increases substantially when paired with BiA and food.  Regardless, it's still better than a GLD on most tanks.

FFS stop saying vents + bia/food (not aimed at you in particular; a lot of people say this), it doesn't add anything to the argument. The only fair comparison is vents vs. the other competing equipment, both with BiA + food, etc. If anything, vents is actually slightly worse (2% vs 2.2% improvement) once you have BiA and food running.

The improvement is not static. You still have to multiply the nominal stat (aim time, etc) by the crew skill modifier (which is static), so you end up with ~2% improvement on your base aim time.

Don't forget that your actual aim time after moving/traversing is very frequently over the stated aim time, which makes GLD significantly better for some tanks. Try aiming in with the British meds after traversing your tracks and you'll often need 5-6s to fully aim in, despite them having ~2.1-2.3s aim times. On the contrary, tanks like the E100 don't benefit as much since its movement dispersion isn't that bad.

Also, keep in mind that your effective dpm is increased in some situations if you can aim faster. If you aim 0.2s faster over vents because of GLD, and vents cuts of 0.2s off your reload, GLD is going to be much better since you have the same effective DPM + less exposure time. It's a very artificial example, but the point still stands.

Also, keep in mind that your effective dpm is increased in some situations if you can aim faster. If you aim 0.2s faster over vents because of GLD, and vents cuts of 0.2s off your reload, GLD is going to be much better since you have the same effective DPM + less exposure time. It's a very artificial example, but the point still stands.

But GLD doesn't work while moving, right? So you'll be unable to benefit from it while wasding, whereas with vents, you'd atleast get a benefit to bloom.

I think swapping my Vents to GLD on my BatChat hugely improved my performance in it.

I call placebo. Realistically, the difference between GLD and Vents is down to a few percentage points. It's at the point where we actually need to do theory-crafting and data-mining just to get a conclusive answer, so a huge difference it is not.

I did the opposite and switched GLD to vents in BC and didn't really notice much difference. I have GLD on IS-3 and FCM, after reading this I probably should switch to vents at least on FCM. Btw wtf is the point that vents for BC(and other TX meds) cost 150k credits and for FCM (and other low tier heavies) 600k credits?

I use GLD as a Vstab replacement on tanks that can't fit it or to mitigate aimtime on tanks with horrible bloom/aimtime. The T34 would be an example for that, because of it's ridiculous bloom and long aimtime it's very beneficial. I also used on a few low tier turreted TDs (T67 and T25/2) to reduce exposure when poking at mid ranges. But on MTs it's mostly pointless if you have Vstab already.

But in general I prefer Optics as long as the tank as good viewrange (380m+).

I'm not sure where someone's getting the notion that GLD doesn't work when in motion, it's applied after other factors. 

That said, I'm assuming this is the guy measuring with microsoft paint and having issues editing down his videos to not retarded lengths, and google translate + ru forums will yield a lot better researched material on this -and pretty much every other- tank-mechanics related subject.

Spencer, the diminishing/scaled returns and 12.2% and + 10% view range/etc vs 14.4% bia-vents-food argument you're making presupposes that the particular aspect you're trying to improve has only one modifier. (Gun dispersion will be effected overall by the gunner, but improving the driver also reduces dispersion). Moreover, you're forgetting about commander's bonus, so it's really 13.42 vs 15.84. 

That's not to say people should always vbf over optics/gld bros and food, but it's worth pointing out. 

For me, it depends on tank and crew skills.

For example, now that I have a decent crew in IS-3 (BIA, smooth ride, snap snot, repairs of course), I prefer the vents/rammer/vert stab setup. The reasoning is the crew skills together with BIA and vents and vert stab keep the aiming circle small enough so you don't need to aim so long to hit reliably when dealing with enemies closer to 200-250 meters.

But before I had a ghetto crew, I used GLD/rammer/vert. stab and had more success with it.