EchelonIII

PSA: "I Can't Pen Them So I'll Camp Base"

Dear all the low tier noobs, if you're in a fight and say you'll camp base because you can't pen enemies, I give you two options.

1. Move out and fight, you MAY die, but you get XP and credits.

2. Stay at base, we go out without you, if we die, then you WILL die anyway, if we win, then you get zilch for doing jack fuck.

That is all.

"I can't pen them, therefore I will stay as far away as I can and snipe."  If only these people understood the concept of pen drop over distance.

Not just low tier, I've seen top tier heavies pull "stock gun, I'll guard arty".

The 14 other green players called him a coward or a retard or both. There was NO ARTY in the game.

We won without his help and he got a whole 150ish xp.

As enlightening as this conversation is:

(1) Mose people who read it already know

(2) No one who needs to read it will

(3) If anyone ever says "I'm stock" and I have a premium or T10, I reply "me too" and then proceed to do my best to dominate.

Now in point of fact, I have had this coverstaion with people in game several times (including my 15-year old son).  My reply is HIT THEM IN THE SIDE OR THE BUTT.

Last night I worked with my son in his low tier american TD to use his speed to roll up and flank engaged enemies of higher tier.  His "no pen" tier 4 took out some tier 6 heavies.  But the most imrpotant fact is he saw it for himself.  Crying about it here does no good.  Go demonstrate it.

Even if you can't pen, you can distract them, or even better track them and get credits and xp for it.

There is nothing worse than being a Tier 7 heavy in a game full of Tier 9 heavies, or a Tier 5 medium in a game full of Tier 7 heavies.

I still roll out for the fight. Generally my tank's life is very exciting and very short, in games like those, but I would rather roll out and try to do something, then sit around and definitely do nothing.

I have actually been pleasantly surprised, many times in the past, how a Tier 8 heavy, or even, Tier 9 heavy will ignore my Panther, while I shoot his sides and rear, penning him for a pittance off of his 2000 HP total, but I have scored upwards of 2K damage in quite a few  playing like that.  Even more so, a Tier 8 premium ignoring my VK3601,

Any HP you can take off of a bigger opponent, helps your bigger teammates knock them out.....

But, then, you guys already knew that.

Can't pen enemies>

Want to camp base and eventually has to fight said enemies that can't be penned>

Guilty of wanting to do this, but I just can't help myself. As soon as I see an undefended flank my, "at least try to slow them down by making them drive around your smoking corpse" alarm goes off and I rush in [edit:   to die. and end up dieing; I don't "try" to die. I try like hell to live, but just can't seem to ever move fast enough to stay alive

Oddly, in my T4/5 games against 6/7, this almost never works. They mostly just steamroll me and we lose anyway. and I'm sooooo tempted to stop doing it and just go with the lemming rush and try to sneak in a shot or two from behind the wall of lemming.

When I play my t6/7 heavies, I sometimes manage to hold them off long enough for the big guns to pull out a win. Not as often as I'd like and given my whopping 25% overall survival rate, you can see how it usually turns out for me personally, but I'm still managing to hang onto a nearly 50% avg win rate in my 6/7s as opposed to... well, yeah. You can see the stats. :)

Hrm. Maybe I can learn to flank in the mediums and TDs a little better. Seems like I always get the "the fight will take place in the edge of this mountain/building" maps for some reason. So the only way to flank is to run right into a wall of enemies waiting for me to do it.

Yeah. Definitely need to think this through more.

Thanks for the tips - thought provoking to us bad@tanks.

There is nothing worse than being a Tier 7 heavy in a game full of Tier 9 heavies, or a Tier 5 medium in a game full of Tier 7 heavies.

Clearly you haven't experienced the joys of the T29 and M4 in bottom tier battles.

What do you guys say to such people?  Just mock them?

My typical line: "there are no useless tanks, only useless tankers"

Or, if I have the time, I will give them a strategy.  

Servios camps in base all the time, and look where it got Servios.

What do you guys say to such people?  Just mock them?

My typical line: "there are no useless tanks, only useless tankers"

Or, if I have the time, I will give them a strategy.  

Actually I put this up here so I have something to copy paste off.

Thanks I didn't know.

Such hurtful sarcasm.

Would EchelonIII be safe if his post included a wall of text and an equation?

"I can't pen them, therefore I will stay as far away as I can and snipe."  If only these people understood the concept of pen drop over distance.

dynamic view range seems to present the biggest issue when I see pubs in this situation.

most of them dont even realise why they cant see the lit enemies at c line from the back of k line on prokhorovka

Cases where tanks get into matches where they can't pen anything in the side or rear are usually pretty damn rare.

Many people are just lazy one-dimensional thinking bums. :(

About a year ago, I was in a platoon, where the host thought it would be funny to switch his tank from a tier 2 to a tier 8 and launch.  We ended up in a tier 9 battle, me and our 2nd partner in our tetrarchs.  We verbally abused our platoon host, and luckily the team decided to let us live, since they were curious how 2 lower tier tetrarchs (with 70+ percent win rates) would handle a high tier battle . .  they even wished us luck and verbally abused our platoon host with us.  :)  

Anyway, I posted the replay on the WoT forum, and showed me and my other tetrarch partner, penning a Tiger 2 from behind, whilst our teammates finished him off.  We then went on to flank a few more high tier heavies, while they were distracted, and both of us ended up as the number 6 and 7th place on the overall damage list.  We did better than half the team of tier 8s and 9s.  One enemy tank we got behind, we could not pen (an IS3), so we waited until he peeked out from the corner of a building then kept him from backing up into cover, so our teammates could all shoot him at once.   We even capped for the win, while our teammates fought off the enemy tanks trying to reset us.  We hid behind our larger tanks and the enemy could not shoot us.  hehe :)

The morale of the story is:  Even if you are in a match in a light tank, and 6/7 tiers lower than the lowest enemy tank, you can still have an impact on the game.  It's just a matter of knowing the limits of your tank and using it to the best of your ability.   

For the example above:  I knew the enemy would not shoot at us, while other higher priority targets were in sight.  We would be seen as little to no threat.  All we had to do was wait until the enemy was engaged and then flank.  By the time, they realized we could pen them, or block them from moving back into cover, it was too late.   Of course we had to pick isolated enemy tanks, but it worked out pretty well in the end.

Our teammates even told us "great job", and said they could see why we were both over 70% win rates in our Tetrarchs.   We never platooned with our "host" again after that match, since it is still very, very wrong to bring low tiers to a high tier game.  It turned out ok, in that match, but I know that 99% of the time, it would have ended badly for us and our teammates.   

Many people are just lazy one-dimensional thinking bums. :(

Hence why derpy strats like "Push the valley in lakeville" are so popular in pubs: They don't have to worry about anything but what's in front of them.