My_Little_Pwny

Does music influence your gameplay?

Gunna move this, more of a question to people with ears and brains than a question to people with good stats.

IMHO music is usually bad for gameplay, more or less so depending on the music. "Background" audio (ambient, for example) is not too distracting. "Foreground" audio (almost anything with vocals or attention-grabbing music) can be pretty bad. When I have music on, I often find myself having less situational/map awareness. Doesn't influence me otherwise, but awareness is a big deal to me.

It largely depends on the type of music.

I for example listen to music that "pumps you up" or makes you feel awesome and shit so I tend to become extremely aggressive in my gameplay.

This^^^

but background music (like lounge/garage them in GT5), or jazz can provide a nice distraction when there's a lull in the fighting.

I enjoy listening to music while I'm playing usually. I have two playlists on my iTunes, one for Rap/Hip Hop music, the other is mostly alternative rock/old school punk music. Depending on the mood I'm in I will listen to one of those while I play. It helps me relax and not get so frustrated with the game which in turn makes me more patient and not make stupid moves. I am a pretty good multi-tasker so it is pretty hard for me to lose my focus or situational awareness while playing.

Energetic affects me negatively. Things like this though affect me positively.

Here is my play list of mixes that I listen too actually..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaVnHRRYWYSqQjtXFT8vyit8LuW8kCNQt

Anything thats chill is for playing WoT and anything that is epic/energetic is for playing WarThunder :)

It will have different effects on people depending on whatever genre of music that is being played.

I tend to find that music that relaxes me tends to have a positive impact on my mood which can lead to better gameplay and less rage.

But sometimes listening to music that involves vocals can have negative impacts especially if I am platooned, and am on TS at the same time. Which is why I tend to avoid that.

I generally have OC Remix on in the background. I have the whole library on my pc, so it doesn't bother my ping. No vocals (well, 99% intrumental anyway) so it rarely comes to the forefront of my mind, but it helps cover up the quiet bits. 

Edit: www.ocremix.org - cost, rights and drm free video game remixes. Some pretty good stuff there. 

Aggressive music makes me push more early game and take risks.

Chill and ambient music just makes me unable to focus and irritates me when a game starts to go badly. I swear it's like the music is taunting me and saying, "why so mad :^)".

I find myself humming or even singing (I sing very badly lol) songs that I like subconsciously in battle, or thinking aloud. When I am on a call with a platmate, I have to stop these and it seems that my performance drops.

Tried actually playing those songs, way too distracting. I couldn't control when to stop and concentrate lol

I always listen to music. Whenever I'm tooning with Gash its always just blasting a taylor swift album, but most of the other time its a chill electronic station on pandora. I don't think it effects my gameplay that much, it's just something I jam out to for added enjoyment.

My favorite "tanking" music is Parov Stelar. It's somehow soothing to me, and helps me stay calm when faced with stupid teammates or otherwise frustrating situations, which may or may not include arty. Jazz & Classical is also good for me, but I prefer to stay away from really intense Rap or Metal for tanks. It makes me too aggressive and I inevitably yolorush a lot more.

I used to have super bad ADHD when I was younger so I basically listen to music any time I do anything I want to focus on. If I can hear my own thoughts I tend to do better but it's also extremely uncomfortable. So I play with music. It also helps me not get as upset when some bullshit happens

I actually find it distracting. 

I tried it once, I just lost a whole heap of situational awareness. heaps of people think im weird for listening to the default ingame music, but thats not distracting, while still filling up otherwise empty audio holes.

Depending on how I'm feeling, usually listen to some Rap, but if I am getting angry I throw this on:

LCZKVow.png

ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWNNNN

idk I usually listen to the music of my platoonmates' random dicking around, so I don't have much input here.

Thx to lemmingrush for good music for me to listen to at work though, i'm totally stealing it!

Music always makes me do worse. That said tanking with music is much more enjoyable. So I allow myself music on nights that I am already doing well and turn it off if I am struggling. When I do well with music on usually it is because I have mentally tuned it out; when I finish the battle I have no idea which songs were played. I recommend playing with and without music and comparing the sessions based on enjoyment and stats.

I listen to a lot of music in general, but only rarely when playing.

It definitely has an effect on play - when I was a newbie I took some of the ingame music as a call to action and would become more aggressive when it came on.  Seriously :P