My guide to calling tier 6 Strongholds

Strongholds

Strongholds are very important battles. They help you earn industrial resources. Bigger clans often do tier 10 and tier 8 strongholds, but that is not the purpose of this guide.

Lets get started!

Restrictions:

Only Tier 6 and below

Up to 7 tanks.

For the purpose of this guide, I will only be disscussing tactics when you have 7 players. When you have 6 players your tactics can be quite different. If you want another guide for 6 players, just post a reply.

Right now I will talk about the best strategy for clans that are green and blue, and purple unicorns.

The strategy consists of light tanks and heavy tanks. An ideal setup for me would be 3 T37s, 1 Cromwell, and 2 M6s, and 1 AMX12t . This works because this strategy can flex amazingly well. If you push one side and no one is there, you can use a T37 to scout because of its amazing view range. All the tanks are mobile and can fall back when needed. The guns on the tanks all have very good damage per minute and that means winning brawls with other medium groups. Also with the camo rating of the light tanks you can destroy enemy heavy tanks.

General tactics are to keep your tanks together in one area. If you split up, the enemy team can kill 3 of your tanks, and then it is 7 v 4. Maybe 6 v 4. Then the other team wins. The other straight forward tactic is that if you find a flank empty, always fall back. If you push up, its a race to see who can cap. If you fall back, they will come to you and you can get the first shots off.

As this tactic is all about out playing, you first need to learn how to out play certain tactics.

Heavies:

Many new clans bring lots of heavies to have a big brawl in a city of some sort. The best way to defeat this type of team is to encircle them. If you can find the positions they are all in, you can force them into a brawl you can win. An example of this is ruinberg. You can scout the ridge. If you find no one, you can all zerg into the city from different angles and force them into a dynamic brawl. One which you can easily win through focusing fire.

Lights:

Some other clans will try to play with lots of lights. Out playing these guys is very easy. All you have to do is force them into a long range engagement. This can be done by splitting your forces up in positions where they can support each other. If the enemy team attacks one group, the other can snipe the people and its a win for you.

Same strategy:

If the other team uses the same strategy, the game will be a very hard fought one. The most simple way is to just force a huge brawl of all the tanks. Use all of your tanks to hopefully win the brawl. At this point, all you need to know is how to focus fire.

I hope this helps you and your clan play strongholds. If you have any questions or comments, post them! I will try to answer them in the best fashion that I can.

Tektiks? What's tektiks? Tier 6 stronkholds are the most fun because there are no tektiks and field commanders. Just go in with 7 lights/meds and yolo. If the enemy camps you kill them from distance, if they don't, you yolo them and focus them down. If you lose it's ok but most are 2-3 minute wins, so much money with type 64 too :D Cool guide tho, not taking anything from you.

Just use LTs to pick them out. If you had TDs/HTs use them as fire support/line holders.

LTs in tier 6 are quite stronger than in tier 8 because of vision game is so much easier to pull. Wolf-pack full of T37s chew everything up also.

What you write is a rather mixed bag: some of it is ok, other parts are half-cooked at best. Also it's tier VI ffs! Respectable clans either don't play this crap or don't take it serious.

• If you command even a moderate level of skill, playing tier VI detachments is nothing else than sealclubbing. The only reason to play them is if you can't get enough players to play tier VIII or X. Also keep in mind that medium detachments come with the underlying risk of picking up bad habits (same as the old medium companies).
  • A blind donkey can command tier VI strongholds. In SRSLY, tier VI and VIII detachments are very often commanded by the person who screams "not me" last. CW-callers only lead if they feel like it since they are too valuable to have them burn out while commanding detachments.
  • The blob tactics you advocate are vulnerable to some degree. If you keep all 7 tanks in one group, you are blind on major parts of the map which leaves you vulnerable to being cap-rushed. 6-1 splits are thus more effective. Use 6 tanks as main battlegroup (they do not need to run around in a kongoline; just keep them close enough together to allow for mutual support). The 7th tank takes care of scouting the alleys of attack you leave open. This player needs to be smart enough not to get himself into a situation from which he can't run; this obviously gets easier if he sits in the fastest light/med of your team.
  • What you write about outplaying enemy setups is meh:

Multidirectional attacks are tricky to coordinate. If you zerg an enemy from 3-4 different directions, timing becomes a major issue and usually some tanks will lag behind. Creating crossfires is a valuable tactic but try to keep things simple: Attacking from 2 angles is usually enough. Moreover, setting up complex pushes require you to split up your team prior to the attack. Split it up too much and you become increasingly vulnerable to a counter-attack before you can launch your own.

Why would you want to outplay a lighter setup by trying to fight at range? Afraid of getting zerg? To me that doesn't make much sense since your proposed setup doesn't really feature good sniper tanks. Cromwell, AMX12t and M6 are all rather inaccuarte at range (0.36-0.38). The T37 is only moderately better.

Your idea of forcing a brawl if an enemy mirrors your "strategy" doesn't sound convincing, either. Forcing a brawl comes at the cost of taking hits while moving into the enemy. But at tier VI hitpoint pools are shallow and the number of tanks is limited. For this reason, pushing a well organized enemy is very hard. Simply put: initiating a brawl is likely to cost you 1-2 tanks. And from such a disadvantage you probably won't recover. The whole idea of zerging only works if you manage to surprise a part of the enemy team and wipe it out before the rest can help.

• Lineups do not matter unless you have to work with a team of terribads. Just let your players bring whatever crappy tank they feel like playing. You might want to make sure, though, that you have at least 2-3 tanks able to provide vision (ideally scouts but most Meds or even some TDs like the Hellcat will do in a pinch). A real tryhard lineups would probably look something like this: at least 2 lights, rest filled up with meds/heavies/more lights; no TDs or arties.

I probably am taking this way too seriously. And by the way I used to work with terribads so thats probably why I take this way to seriously.

@Gharirey

You say that a 6-1 split is most well used but I disagree. That one tank can be lost and then you still are working with a 7 v 6 which any good clan will be able to defeat.

I past clan was a bunch of terribads and I experimented with them. I found that this way is the best way.

I probably am taking this way too seriously. And by the way I used to work with terribads so thats probably why I take this way to seriously.

@Gharirey

You say that a 6-1 split is most well used but I disagree. That one tank can be lost and then you still are working with a 7 v 6 which any good clan will be able to defeat.

I past clan was a bunch of terribads and I experimented with them. I found that this way is the best way.

Oh my. So basically your wonderful guide comes down to playing the lottery: Form blob, advance towards enemy cap, hope enemy either camps or stumbles into you or at the very least doesn't reach your cap faster, so that you don't get outcapped.

Field-commanding at its highest level!

If your aim is to win 50-60% of your games, blob ahead happily. But if you want to achieve 80 or 90% winrates, you just can't afford the partial blindness that is the consequence of a 7-tank-blob. Unless you have early warning, even a mobile setup can be troubled to get back to base within the less than 40 secs it takes 3+ enemy tanks to cap. This is why many maps require you to split your forces (not all but most). It isn't always a 6-1 split, though. Different situations and different maps require very different splits which may further change as the battle evolves. A field commander has to struck a balance between the need to gather intelligence and concentrating a powerful fighting force.

Sidenote: This retarded blob meta is one of the reasons why tier VI detachments can teach bad habits!

Oh my. So basically your wonderful guide comes down to playing the lottery: Form blob, advance towards enemy cap, hope enemy either camps or stumbles into you or at the very least doesn't reach your cap faster, so that you don't get outcapped.

Field-commanding at its highest level!

If your aim is to win 50-60% of your games, blob ahead happily. But if you want to achieve 80 or 90% winrates, you just can't afford the partial blindness that is the consequence of a 7-tank-blob. Unless you have early warning, even a mobile setup can be troubled to get back to base within the less than 40 secs it takes 3+ enemy tanks to cap. This is why many maps require you to split your forces (not all but most). It isn't always a 6-1 split, though. Different situations and different maps require very different splits which may further change as the battle evolves. A field commander has to struck a balance between the need to gather intelligence and concentrating a powerful fighting force.

Sidenote: This retarded blob meta is one of the reasons why tier VI detachments can teach bad habits!

1st Hey Ghar! Nice to see you!

2nd, I agree that if you have a heavier setup you should always have a scout checking the other side but if you are playing full mobile setup, you can see the enemies line up so if they have heavies they will never outcap you so can can blob easily, if they have full lights they never go for cap and speaking from experiences I have played hundreds of these little battles for money grind. Now if 1 out 50 tries to ninja cap you can live with that. and most of the times when you don't see them early you know something is off and you return well within the time limit.

3rd, tier 6 skirmishes can teach both good and bad habits with the blob meta. IMO there is no better way to constantly practice rushing and focus fire, but it can lead to suicide yoloing if you're not in par with your teammates.

4th, well blob mentality is why tier 6 detachments are so fun. It's a break from all the seriousness and field commanding. Personally I cannot stand FCing in a tier 6 or even 8 detachment. Kills all the fun. There is plenty of time for serious mode in CWs and tier 10 SHs. Battles or Skirmishes. Plus 2 minutes for 50k in a type 64 is just lovely :P

How to call with semi-decent players (as in most of them are about my level, 1400 recent or so).

Step 1: Get everyone in a cromwell/type 64(for the monies)/t37. 

Step 2: CHARGE at the enemy. 

Step 3: If they're not all dead you might send someone back to stop a fastcap.