Garbad

Men's Fashion

Suits: Hugo Boss tailored clothing. A cheap suite just looks cheap.

Belt and decent shoes matching in colors. Brown or black. I will always check the shoes. It's so funny when someone tries to impress with a big faked golden watch, polyester suite and 20$ shoes.

Shirts: 100% cotton, classic cut.

Tie: silk. Same here, cheap ties look cheap.

Casual: Pleated-front trousers, good shirt, matching belt and shoes. Just give the impression that you had a meeting in the yachting club :)

I am 37 years young and work in IT at a financial institution.  Here it's Bus-Cas-Fri every day except for Friday, because that's jean day for charity.  So most days I wear khakis or slacks with either fitted polo shirts or fitted long sleeve button-down shirts depending on the weather.  All of my shirts are Large Talls because I'm tall and I tuck my shirts in.  I dislike sweaters so I don't wear them.  All of my khakis and slacks are flat front with very few exceptions because I fucking hate pleated pants.

My belt always matches my shoes and both are always made of good leather and generally well bit and not cheap.  If I wore a tie, sport coat, or suit to work I would be better dressed than the CEO and the entirety of the rest of the staff and that's probably not a good idea.

I own a few sport coats and blazers and a small selection of silk ties.  I need to get a real fitted suit though, but I keep thinking I'd like to get in shape before I do heh.  

I have a couple pairs of jeans, mostly Calvin Klein because I like the fabrics they use (same for socks/underwear/undershirts).  I usually wear Carhartt pants with a tshirt when I mow lawn, split firewood, do woodworking, etc.  All of my casual tshirts are plain white or plain black, except for the 2 drawers full of old band/concert shirts I used to wear back in the day that stay in their drawers now.

I try to stick to versatile options that can be mixed and matched so I can keep my closet small.

try reading the Esquire Black Book, should give you all you need to know. Most of your answers will come from a few questions:

1. budget

2. how "nice" do you want to look?

http://therakeonline.com/

www.jackthreads.com

men's fashing is fairly "timeless" meaning that what will look good tomorrow, looked good yesterday. James Dean - check, Cary Grant- check, Clooney-check. Not huge differences in what they wear. Trendy is stupid, stick to the basics.

This thread has officially emerged as the leader in number of E/L's eyerolls on both a total and post-adjusted basis for a thread.  Can we have people post credentials following their suggestions?

Go for tasteful, versatile, classic looks and take small risks with colors, cuts, patterns etc. (with the risk(s) scaled to the occasion/setting). You can always scale-down an outfit, you can't always scale it up.  I don't know your build, location, complexion, haunts etc. to give any specific advice beyond that.  Just watch out for these jabronis linking to any of the ten thousand sites that try to tell you what whiskey you should be drinking, or what colors you need in your argyle socks or any of the other general online male-focused douchery catering to  the stylistically and personality challenged. 

Credentials: Edit: *upbringing that stressed proper attire*, business-formal finance career in Midtown Manhattan and downtown Boston with all the social niceties that go along with that. 

Can we have people post credentials following their suggestions?

Credentials: Partner at a 100+ attorney law firm practicing business and commercial real estate law; board member of a fairly well known and respected not for profit organization; annual household income in one of the highest US tax brackets; wear a suit 3+ days a week; and spend about $10 to $15k a year on my wardrobe. 

Edited to be less abrasive.

Edited by Eladamri

I'm italian :D

Seriously now. Worked in the real estate biz (suit 6 days per week), did a 3 years long startup project with meetings and all the charm, both work and social related. Vriious full formal cerimonies for awards (top 20 in the politechnic of Turin freshmen rankings, and before that a series of formal meetings for a project involving the top 30 high school students from piedmont and vallée d'aoste, with the prizing cerimony held at the main auditorium of RAI, the italian state TV). Also a bunch of concerts when i was a bit younger and still played the piano.

Generally intrested in the topic from casual-elegant to full formal.

Downsides is that outside of the formal occasions i cannot really afford to outfit as i wish so i have to make do with what i've got.

So what are acceptable credentials?  Is this just an e-peen question?  Here you go I guess.  Pros: Partner at a 100+ attorney law firm practicing business and commercial real estate law; board member of a fairly well known and respected not for profit organization; annual household income in one of the highest US tax brackets; wear a suit 3+ days a week; and spend about $10 to $15k a year on my wardrobe.  Does that work? 

Negatives:  I'm brown and not a wasp; went to public school; had to work full time to put myself through a state university (parents didn't pay a dime); had to put myself through a state law school (again on my own dime); and l live in the central US instead of a coastal location (although I did spend time clerking in law offices in both San Francisco and Washington D.C. years ago).

I'm not trying to be a dick, really, it was an off-handed joke about how we post stats in every signature on this forum for WoT that legitimizes the poster right away, and I was chuckling to myself about how we might do that in this topic. I'll delete my post if the consensus was it is in bad taste. 

Nah, imho it's not wrong. It just came out a bit weird.

No, its not wrong as there is some terrible advice in this thread.  The wording just rubbed me the wrong way.

I got to say that I try very very hard to look and dress decent, I can also say that a sub $17k a year salary does not support the way I wish I could dress. As it is, I feel I dress far better than most of my coworkers. I work at walmart, so we do have a dress code that limits us to kahki pants/ blue shirt. I wear a polo every day, kahki cargo pants, brown belt, and brown boots. I try to buy new as my wardrobe ages for work, but often I have to let my clothes get a bit threadbare. For reference my coworkers mostly wear ill- fitting T-shirts and. Whatever pants they put on. For non work attire I tend to add black cargo pants into the mix and have an array of coordinatin colored polo shirts.

I do wish that I could afford to wear some of what you all have mentioned

No, its not wrong as there is some terrible advice in this thread.  The wording just rubbed me the wrong way.

No, I didn't intend it the way I think people could (very) reasonably read it, namely like I was being an elitist prick.  I didn't mean it that way and really didn't mean to offend guys, I'm glad you called me out. 

I was just jokingly trying to establish who giving advice on this actually takes fashion and dress seriously in their daily lives for the career/lifestyle etc. 

I got to say that I try very very hard to look and dress decent, I can also say that a sub $17k a year salary does not support the way I wish I could dress. As it is, I feel I dress far better than most of my coworkers. I work at walmart, so we do have a dress code that limits us to kahki pants/ blue shirt. I wear a polo every day, kahki cargo pants, brown belt, and brown boots. I try to buy new as my wardrobe ages for work, but often I have to let my clothes get a bit threadbare. For reference my coworkers mostly wear ill- fitting T-shirts and. Whatever pants they put on. For non work attire I tend to add black cargo pants into the mix and have an array of coordinatin colored polo shirts.

I do wish that I could afford to wear some of what you all have mentioned

as SWG112 mentioned you have to make the best out of the cloth you can afford like you do. A classic blue jacket and grey trousers and you're well dressed for most occasions. If you wear them occasionally they last for many years. Same for shoes of decent quality.

H&R has reasonable priced suites too. It's not HUGO BOSS but affordable.

So I'm thinking of getting one of these:

Thoughts?

Which one are you thinking about getting?  The dress, the shoes, or the girl?

The only thing I know about women's fashion is shoes.  I know next to nothing about dresses, but I like it, especially at that price point.

The only thing I know about women's fashion is shoes.  I know next to nothing about dresses, but I like it, especially at that price point.

Women's fashion? This is the Men's Fashion thread, who said anything about a woman wearing this?

I don't care who wears it - but it is in the "women" clothing section at Nordstroms, hence the reason I called it women's fashion.  My wife won't let me pick out cloths for her (other than shoes), and I don't wear dresses so I haven't paid much attention to what a fashionable dress looks like.  All I can say is I like the way it looks on the model.

One day only, and I'm guessing probably U.S. Only, but Dillard's has a huge sale every January 1 (both online and in stores). Descent way to pick up some quality clothing at a discount. If you go to the stores, they often have additional items (such as suits) that are on sale at deep discounts. IMO, many of their suits are pretty descent quality, especially at that price point.

http://www.dillards.com

Barney's New York is also having a good sale right now, and had similar sales at the end of each season. Just snagged a few items for myself and grabbed my wife some Monolo Blahnik pumps, all for around for 61% off.

http://www.barneys.com

Credentials: Professional musician and performing artist, graduate student.  That said, I consider men's fashion and clothing a serious hobby of sorts.

Just wanted to say, Jackquerudo is my new hero: all of his suggestions are pure gold and I hope to have such good taste one day.  

Don't fuck around with the shoes.  Most women pay more attention to footwear than you might imagine.  Spending a bunch and skimping on shoes is like equipping a Tier 10 medium with a camo net.

Good shoes are totally worth the cash, and will last you years with good care.  Nothing makes or breaks your image like a pair of shoes.  [it's like having a 5-skill crew on a T-54, but then you run binocs/camo net/toolbox.]  Here's some suggestions which are pretty classic and versatile, so that you have something to wear in every situation.

Black Oxfords, for when you really need to dress up [weddings, funerals, job interviews, black tie functions] (Allen Edmond's "Park Avenue" in black shown):

http://content.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/images/database/allenedmonds_shoes_park-avenue_black_l.jpg

Brown Derby Wingtips, for general business casual use (Allen Edmond's "MacGregor" in brown shown):

http://content.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/images/database/allenedmonds_shoes_mcgregor_bourbon-calf_l.jpg

A loafer in oxblood because that color just works for everything, for more business casual variety (G.H. Bass's "Weejuns" in oxblood shown):

https://img0.etsystatic.com/010/0/6726715/il_570xN.463344146_pjap.jpg

A boot, for casual settings (Clark's "Desert Boot" in beeswax shown):

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mavs47ADbx1qieou0o1_500.jpg

Some sneakers for athletic and summer wear (Converse's "Chuck Taylors" in off-white shown):

http://www.2014converseshoes.co.uk/images/pic/converse-chuck-taylor-all-star-low-top-unbleached-white-canvas-shoes-uk_2.jpg

Pick three outta these (doesn't have to be exactly these) depending on your current lifestyle, and you'll be covered for just about any occasion you'll encounter. For business casual, pick either the loafers or the wingtips. Likewise, pick the boots or the sneakers for casual occasions.  The black oxfords are rather necessary if you ever have to dress business formal or above.  If you don't see that sort of occasion anytime soon, drop the black shoes and pick up one of the others depending on what you wear more.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!