BPX

Conway Toleration Thread

On 25.11.2017 at 6:02 AM, NightmareMk9 said:

I'm stuck in the middle of this FV183 grind.  I was thinking about unlocking the Conway to get the gun unlocked for the Tort.

The FV4005 was rated 2nd from last in the Tier 10 Elimination Thread a long time ago.  The Conway was 7th eliminated at tier 9.

Are they much better or just marginally better now?  I got F-ed up by a 4005 last week, it did like 800 damage to my VKB.  And a buddy was just outright ended in the Ru251.  Was the 4005 gun always like that?  Or is is just a slot machine like the 183?

It's much better but still bad. You get great turret bloom and cancer movement bloom (plus the turret moves slow). So the tank speed is only there so you can relocate between camping positions. If you try to play like a med you will miss everything. 

Stil thanks to the speed and gun dep many more positions are now viable and the 120mm with gold spam can work wonders thanks to that dpm. 

This clumsy box turned out to be lots of fun. I used boosters and was able to finish the grind at 102 battles, 61% win rate (better than I would expect from myself), 2k d/g (mediocre given the 600 alpha). The 5.5-inch gun is loads of fun, and my only regret from the grind is that I criminally underused the HESH shells. I have fond memories of doing about 880 damage through the roof of a T95. The 120mm gives you more than 500 additional DPM, but it's not a platform for maximizing your DPM. The Conway has that classic British horsepower that means it gets everywhere at a consistent, medium speed. The bloom is bad, but you can manage it in the usual ways: stay hidden, shoot when the enemy is on reload, hold RMB to lock the turret when you pull around a corner. It's tied with the Strv 103-0 for lowest health among tier 9 tank destroyers at 1500, or second lowest if you count the old SU-155-44. The view range is second best (JT and Tortoise have 10m more), and in spite of the tank being fairly tall, I did manage to out spot enemies fairly often. 

Played my first handful of games in it last night. The gun handling on the stock gun is surprisingly good and significantly better than on the Charioteer. Bloom on hull movement is nowhere near as bad cause the Conway doesn't get around like the Charioteer. Add much better aim time and an extra 1000dpm... I've heard that situational awareness isn't just a crew skill? I imagine players who have it could seriously fuck pubbies up with the stock gun.

While the mobility (18-odd hp/t) is still good, the platform's sheer size and lack of camo is a thing. The gun is up so high I'll have to relearn peaking positions. I can literally fire over stuff I commonly use for hard cover in other tanks.

Yeah, I'm having troubles adjusting to the size and lack of camo, but I like the stock gun better in the current meta. A tier 9 TD that can't pen a superheavy to save his life didn't do it for me.

I like to meme with HESH in the top gun on this tank nowadays - my only gripe is that A. it misses a lot even fully aimed, which I"m sort of used to from the T49 but I'm also not yeeting 5k credits per shot into the dirt with a miss in the T49, and B. the thing is goddamn slow