FreddBoy

What gun to use on the KV-1S?

Right, I'm currently on an alt reroll to get a friend a shiney new T95E2 from the referral program.

I'm currently about to buy the KV-1, with the KV-1S soon after (as I have a Churchill III as crew/credit maker, IS-7 line suits the crew set up better.) What I want to know is, should I go for the 85mm gun to train myself for the KV-85, or use the 122mm for lolz? I'm more towards the 85mm, as I have very little experience in low depression tanks, and I'd like experience of it before going higher tier.

Thoughts?

122mm is a beast

Its ridiculously easily to pen HE at that tier, and it does pretty decent damage to even tier 7s, and with half assed aiming you can solo tier 6s with HEAT spam

Its ridiculous in tier 5 games, 85mm feels really mediocre compared to it.

I see everyone is leaning towards the 122mm, but my worry is the unreliable HE mechanics, plus HEAT spam required against targets at tiers 6 and 7.

Is the 85mm more consistent in its damage? As buzzsawing through hoards of tomatoes gives me just as much pleasure as feeling them too.

Also, I've derped a lot with the Pz IV H, Hetzer, Both StuGs and the VK28.01 so would the gun be similar to those, but more powerful?

I would pick 122mm derp gun due to it's stronk Heat. Dunno why WG didn't nerf the Heat pen from 130 to 100. It depends on your playing style that do you like good rate of fire which helps to keep sb for an example permatracked. On the other hand you might like to give a one big punch to face and then retreat behind meatshield(own team =D ). Also bad rate of fire means that you have to be careful with your shots as well as have a patience. Both guns are situational but if you have an awareness of using correct types of ammo in different situations. Derp would be a great choice, prepare to lose your high piles of silver  :thumbup: . Few months ago i played my KV-1 for fun and 57mm gun+gold ammo was just a lottery ticket for having a fun moments. 8)

edit. 122mm derp gun has 140 mm of pen(heat)

I see everyone is leaning towards the 122mm, but my worry is the unreliable HE mechanics, plus HEAT spam required against targets at tiers 6 and 7.

Is the 85mm more consistent in its damage? As buzzsawing through hoards of tomatoes gives me just as much pleasure as feeling them too.

Also, I've derped a lot with the Pz IV H, Hetzer, Both StuGs and the VK28.01 so would the gun be similar to those, but more powerful?

I will just put here that you can make profits with heat spam, as long as your not firing blind shots and 360 falling of bridge shots

I'm just a yellow noob with way less skill and experience than the other commenters, but the KV-1S is my highest WR/WN8 tank so far and I have played it more than any other tank in my garage... I have tried to make the 122 work from time to time, and it is satisfying to smack people in the mouth sometimes with it, but in the end I feel too "naked" and vulnerable to a rush if I'm outnumbered because of the ROF. Even at my meager skill level I feel like I can hold a key position on my own if forced to with the 85. I have never felt like I didn't have enough reliable alpha against the usual KV-1S opponents.