GradiusZA

M48A1 Patton crew skills and equipment advice.

Hi everyone,

Played roughly 50 matches with this tank so far and I'm pretty torn between using it as a passive sniper or flanker when it needs to be.

I'm 1 match away from hitting my 3rd skill on it so need some advice when next needs to be learned.

If I need to keep on using it as a passive sniper beyond 300m range the coated optics should help but should I learn camouflage as my 3rd skill?

Even if it helps a little to be spotted that should be a huge help?

Is the M48A1 Patton even used in CW at the moment?

I want to possibly make the eventual transition to CW but I need to know what tanks I need?

I currently have the Fatton,E-50M(which I still need to buy) and 30k XP away from the FV4202.

I'm 10k XP away from unlocking the T-54 where I can go either/and or get both the Ob 430 and T-62a.

I suppose the Batchat is the most popular choice at the moment but that is is going to take a long time to grind for me to get it.

P.S. I have no issues retraining at all for this tank.

Screenshot attached http://i.imgur.com/u0XN6fx.jpg[1]

Ok, the Patton is a special case medium tank in my view.......

It can't play as a "true" flanker medium because of it's size and low speed.  It's gun is decent to snipe with, but there are better tanks you can use to snipe with.  I am of the opinion that the patton is a 2nd line support medium/pocket heavy.  Meaning that you support the push with your incredible DPM, and when the opportunity arises, you can make an attempt to flank (your speed will be low but if you are in close quarters 2nd line combat flanking is a breeze at that area level).

Normally I would object to the equipment loadout you have, I would have rammer, vstab, optics but if you LIKE the setup you have and don't want to change it, I say keep it.  Whatever works.

Crew skills wise this is what I would go for with the M48

Commander: 6th Sense/BIA/Repairs/Camo

Gunner: Snapshot/BIA/Repairs/Camo

Driver: Smooth Ride/BIA/Camo/Repairs

Loader: Safe Stowage/BIA/Camo/Repairs

Once you reach skill 5 for each man then it's on to whatever you so choose.  Now alternatively, if you want to make it more of a pocket heavy dedicated tank, just skip out on the camo skills, and put in some more useful things such as situational awareness, armorer/deadeye, recon, etc. you get the idea.

Hope this helps mate :)

EDIT: Also.......the M48 is never used in clan wars, unless if you have an M60 and so does the rest of the team coming in and you want to troll the fuck out of pubbies

Edited by Shifty_101st

Sell M48... problems solved

I just got it and basically all my credits on it :-/

I love the Fatton. Despite its large size, its one of my favorite mediums because it isn't easily prone to sustain module damage and crew death. Catching fire is its only problem but that only happens when shot directly in the rear.

I have been experimenting load-outs with this tank, and its been going really well so far.

Commander: 6th Sense - Recon - BiA/Camo/Repairs/Jack of All Trades

Gunner: Snapshot - Repairs - BiA/Camo

Driver: Smooth Ride - Repairs - BiA/Camo

Loader: Safe Stowage - Repairs - BiA/Camo

Optics / Rammer / Vents

30 APCR / 20 HEAT / 7 HE

Just to note I am a super aggressive player. I usually yolo in often, and always within the front-lines. Always go for early spots and damages, and the OP viewrange helps late game immensely.

Fatton isn't used in cw's though.

Ignore the M48 hate. It's a great tank when played properly.

Commander: BIA, 6th Sense, Repairs, Recon, Camo

Gunner: BIA, Snap Shot, Repairs, Camo, Deadeye

Driver: BIA, Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride, Repairs, Off-Road Driving

Loader: BIA, Repairs, Camo, Situational Awareness, Safe Stowage

Equipment is Optics, Rammer, Vert stab

I had Vents for most of my 1600 battles in this tank, only switched to Optics for probably the last few hundred battles. They are both good to have.

For me the on the move capabilities are very important to boost up. It really helps to stay moving at all times and be able to put in consistent shots. Also the repairs are really important, for obvious reasons + The tank is pretty big.

M48 is hardly used in CW

Russian meds, STB-1, Batchat, and Leopard 1 are used

freedomtanks_zps682f13e6.png

btw I only have 9 battles in M60 [which is almost a M48 right?] but I really like my setup 

prem repair kit

food

silver med kit

optics

vents

rammer

crew I'm trying to make it view and BIA based then camo and repairs

Indeed. Why you all take vents over vstab?

Well snap shot is effectively vstab if you think about it.  If you play it close to the front lines as well, a vstab won't make much difference as well.

Well snap shot is effectively vstab if you think about it.  If you play it close to the front lines as well, a vstab won't make much difference as well.

...but if you're near the front, what's the point of driving a Patton, a large tank with weak armor, not that much speed, a meh HP pool, and all-around mediocre firepower in a close-up situation? I mean, I guess the on-the-move bloom is gud, but why not drive a Russian medium with insane DPM, stronk turret armor, trollish hull angles, a small profile, and better speed with the same handling? Or if you want alpha and gun depression with a modicum of turret armor, why not the STB-1? I'm just curious.

...but if you're near the front, what's the point of driving a Patton, a large tank with weak armor, not that much speed, a meh HP pool, and all-around mediocre firepower in a close-up situation? I mean, I guess the on-the-move bloom is gud, but why not drive a Russian medium with insane DPM, stronk turret armor, trollish hull angles, a small profile, and better speed with the same handling? Or if you want alpha and gun depression with a modicum of turret armor, why not the STB-1? I'm just curious.

Because only the Patton combines god mode gun control and depression with good dpm (the dpm differences between t10 meds is pretty much non-existant).

I honestly believe that for highly dynamic play, nothing beats the Patton at applied dpm.

I concur with the Fatton love.

The incrediballs gun handling, great dpm, depression and tier 10 penetration are just lovely.

It's mobile enough to move the lovely gun around. Sure other mediums may beat it in certain aspects but the comfort and ease of blapping things for 390 every 7 seconds is quite nice. It's one of my favourite solopub tanks due to the flexibility.

A skreb may find it easier to do better in a 62a, but any good player can get their funky funk on with a Fatton.

I run Optics/Vstab/Rammer as the Holy Grail of Medium setups you can't go wrong. It is silly to use vents over the stab, imo, as you want to maximise strengths. The gun is good enough to not need one but you want to elevate it to maximum handling and vents just doesn't cut it.

SS

Gunnery

Safe Stowage

Full Camo

Full Repairs

Full BiA

That's my crew skills. Again pretty standard.

Flex around the map smoothly pumping people full of 105mm justice. End battle with 3k+ damage without even thinking about it.

It's not, it only helps with turret rotation bloom and not nearly as much as stabs.

From FTR: 

"-Fatton buff in future is very probable"

Lets hope. Every time I play Patton I can't help but feel "well this is not bad but why am I playing this and not some other TX med". It's comfortable to play but it doesn't really have anything going for it over others. It is a bit like British mediums, easy to play but you pay for that comfort in speed, dpm, armor and so on. If it gets some slight buff it would be competitive, maybe give it RoF similar to STB or something.

It's not, it only helps with turret rotation bloom and not nearly as much as stabs.

From FTR: 

Lets hope. Every time I play Patton I can't help but feel "well this is not bad but why am I playing this and not some other TX med". It's comfortable to play but it doesn't really have anything going for it over others. It is a bit like British mediums, easy to play but you pay for that comfort in speed, dpm, armor and so on. If it gets some slight buff it would be competitive, maybe give it RoF similar to STB or something.

Call me selfish but I hope that the M60 gets buffed as well if the M48 ever gets some love. >_<

Thanks everyone for your input it's really been helpful! Just so everyone knows I've put a V.Stab on it so everyone can calm down now :doubleguns:

From FTR: 

Huuuungh. Gief. Gief me Fatton buff. It's already good, I hope the buff is significant.

Gunnery's already good. I'd be happy with mobility, accuracy or rof. Or all three.

Why do you take camo as perk? At 100% it has only 15 points (like stock 121).

Every little helps. I always max camo on my mediums, I work on not getting hit at all in them.

Every little helps. I always max camo on my mediums, I work on not getting hit at all in them.

Don't you think that taking skills to maximize view range and gun handling should be first? 

Don't you think that taking skills to maximize view range and gun handling should be first?

I have all of them, I am sorry I was not clearer in my post! I consider recon & situational gunnery skills and as such are also standard on my build. You should of course, get both these skills. Maximise the strengths again, burn away the enemy camo and minimise their ability to spot you at long range. That's my playstyle anyway. I don't want to be taking enough hits in a Patton that a repair kit is insufficient. Ever.

The Patton is one of the few tanks where assuming you have a very good crew, you can probably afford to actually just run Vents instead of Optics.  420 base view range plus Vents, BIA, and full Recon and Sit. Awareness and you'll already have over 460 m view range.  It's also far easier to get both the view range skills as the Patton is in that awesome situation where the Radio Operator skills are handled by the Loader rather than the Commander so you don't have to worry about using two different Commander skill slots for both.

with optics on mine and food i have 504 meter vision on the move

if i go to vents i am down to 476

with food and vents and bia my crew is at 137%