canadiantrex

SpaceX CRS-5 Launch

I'm about 40 or 50ish miles in a straight line from the launch site.

Was able to watch almost the entire launch from out in the parking lot, follow the rocket up visually. Watched the first stage separate and burn more northerly for the landing attempt and a short time later watched the 2nd stage light off, while still able to see the first stage burning north. Because of the extremely light clouds in the atmosphere at the time, when the second stage lit, from damn near 70 or more miles away I could see a shockwave propagate through the clouds from the rocket ignition.

Shit's fucking cool.

Also:

Elon Musk @elonmusk  ·  27m 27 minutes ago

Rocket made it to drone spaceport ship, but landed hard. Close, but no cigar this time. Bodes well for the future tho.

Elon Musk @elonmusk  ·  22m 22 minutes ago

Ship itself is fine. Some of the support equipment on the deck will need to be replaced...

Elon Musk @elonmusk  ·  17m 17 minutes ago

Didn't get good landing/impact video. Pitch dark and foggy. Will piece it together from telemetry and ... actual pieces.

First stage landing attempt made it to the barge but wasn't fully successful. :(

PS: up yours, ULA.

Was fun chatting about teh launch this morning :D we need to start making launches a wotlabs chat event!

Next launch is January 29, 2015, 23:35. Get Hype!

Tweets from Musk:

Grid fins worked extremely well from hypersonic velocity to subsonic, but ran out of hydraulic fluid right before landing.

Upcoming flight already has 50% more hydraulic fluid, so should have plenty of margin for landing attempt next month.

Am super proud of my crew for making huge strides towards reusability on this mission. You guys rock!

So nothing actually broke they just ran outa fluid which is already fixed for the next flight. MOAR SCIENCE HYPE!

Tweets from Musk:

So nothing actually broke they just ran outa fluid which is already fixed for the next flight. MOAR SCIENCE HYPE!

Didn't I say last night that I was betting it was some sort of issue with the grid fins!  :P

The headline on the BBC splash page was retarded and made it look like the whole lot had crashed until I read the article. I guess "Payload orbited but tangential equipment test did not succeed" isn't a click generator.

I had the option to go see it, but screw getting up that early.

Also you might live close to me canadiantrex.

I don't live close to people. 

People live close to me.

I don't live close to people. 

People live close to me.

Also after coming across another thread, you don't live very close to me. We are both about 40-50 miles out but in different directions.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/01/spacex-releases-video-of-falcon-9s-explosive-landing/

So close...

Dat explosion though :3 Musk must be having a blast playing IRL KSP...