Take a look at this replay: http://wotreplays.com/site/248963#el_halluf-shackram-su-152

At around 7:33 i fire a 152mm HEAT shell at an IS tank about 428m away. You see as the shell "hit" it's shoulder, pass thru' the hull and hit the ground just behind it's tracks on the other side.

I'm trying to figure what happened, it seems like the hit detection failed there.

I have noticed that sometimes the shell tracer is not accurate. Like, hitting a tank and the hit mark appearing pretty far to the left of where the tracer actually impacted - this might be what happened? Not sure. Either way, it's a desync problem.

I have noticed that sometimes the shell tracer is not accurate. Like, hitting a tank and the hit mark appearing pretty far to the left of where the tracer actually impacted - this might be what happened? Not sure. Either way, it's a desync problem.

Actually now that you mention it, I've been seeing the same thing in the opposite way of the OP. When leading targets, I will often see my shells land as far as a tank-length behind the target. My first thought is often along the lines of "I'm terrible at aiming" or "I swear I timed that right" (depending on how I felt about it) but I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that sometimes I actually hit him. The shell went no where near, but I've often tracked people or even did damage this way. I only ever get it on moving targets though, and the tracer is almost always behind them (not in front).

I've seen that too, but from what i've seen the tracer went where the shell went. If you slow down to 1/16(and mod your zoom so it's like 15-20x for the max zoom) you can see as the shell disappear into the model and then the explosion as it hits the ground just behind the tank. The tank was reversing uphill but nowhere fast enough to matter for my latency and i wasn't having connection issues so i don't think it was packet loss.

Here, pictures:

eq5t7a.jpg

2wqsvgp.jpg

okagye.jpg

11ramw0.jpg

what you would need to disprove the desync theory is a replay from another person in the same game. Everything in a replay is exactly as you saw it in the game, complete with desync glitches and everything.

I have had games where I was clearly desynced (i.e. my turret and my server reticule were pointing in literally 180 degree opposite directions), and this showed up in the replay too.

I stand with Rexxie´s hypothesis.

Funny thing is, if you watch teh replay several times, in each replay the shell has a different trajectory...  :tongue:

I'll see if i can get the replay from the IS perspective, i've had the server pointing the wrong way before but never something like this, at least not as clear.

I stand with Rexxie´s hypothesis.

Funny thing is, if you watch teh replay several times, in each replay the shell has a different trajectory...  :tongue:

I reloaded the replay several times and it had the same trajectory (the ones from the picture) each time. :|

Is the tracer drawn after the shell's travel and hit (or miss)?  I've watched slow speed replays and this seems to be the case.

Well, i talked to the IS driver and he didn't even know about replays, so he wasn't recording.

Gonna try with the SP he killed. WELP, he didn't know about replays either.