EchelonIII

EchIII Review, Abuse, and Masochism Center - Reviews Done in Picture Form

Right all, I'm opening a replay and review center over here.

The Format

I like to give my replay reviews in the form of pictures, it's a lot easier to see a series of pictures of key critical moments instead of gigantic like I usually do.

The Library:

A KV-5 Engagement: A lesson in situational awareness: Imgur Reddit

My Specialization

I specialize at explaining and writing for basic and improving players and in teaching somewhat more advanced vision play at that level. I'm anticipating that most of the mistakes made in the games posted here will be on the more basic level. In terms of my tank specialization, I'm best at reviewing light tank play and in vision control maps, though I also like to focus on microengagements

How to get the most out of your reviews: What To Post and What to Expect

1. RE: Posting your highlights

Your best games are best games for a reason, they arent a representative sample. It's far better to post an average game than your best games.

I dont care or want to see your 7k batchat carry

If your average damage is 1400 in a KT, then post me a 1400 damage game, post me a 1600, dont post a 3k carry or a 500 potato.

IF YOU ARE POSTING TO SHOW OFF, YOU WILL BE CALLED OUT ON IT, SO DONT.

2.Expect Abuse: The negative WILL be accentuated

"You dont call a sewage technician to redecorate your bathroom, and you don't come to me to hear how your play is good." - adapted from Yahtzee

It's more educational (and entertaining) to highlight bad mistakes than talk about what you're doing right, good play will be pointed out, bad play will be mocked, and mocked, and mocked, and mocked.

You can expect minor transgressions to be forgiven, but do not expect anything less than the most serious abuse for repeated errors.

3. I focus on tactics and technical play over theory and strategy

I analyze the actual engagements instead of your overall flank selection (unless you're making a gigantic blunder) simply because knowing where to go is really fucking easy in theory; concentrating on engagement tactics also helps help extract value out of even doomed situations.

A review reading "Don't go lakeville valley" is both obvious and entirely useless, so I'll focus on what you do once you're fighting, and not so much on the flank you're at, if you're going to go lakeville valley, I'll focus on HOW you executed your lakeville valley push. More importantly, telling and pointing out how you could have fought your fight better is probably going to help a lot more than a "you should do X and Y and Z" while you struggle to actually execute it.

4. 90% of the review will be on the critical 5%

I don't really look at every second, i like to focus on the key moments of a fight, because it's at those moments that the game is won or lost, such as:

A. A mistake the enemy made that was or wasn't taken advantage of

B. A mistake you made that could have or did cost the game

Either one of these could have changed the outcome of the game, and as such, I focus on them. You can expect me to ignore 5 minutes and then spend 4 pictures discussing a 10 second engagement.

Good games will tend to be bashed harder than bad games simply because there are a lot more potential game-losing errors in a good game (you can't lose a game that's already lost!)

5. Expect Pictures

I love to review using pictures simply because it's faster and captures the exact mistake much more accurately. This site by Adobe is how I find a good contrast for the text annotations. https://color.adobe.com

6. PoV Methodology

I always review with the PoV cam to watch replays because it's a far better judge of situational awareness and tactical sense; it's actually harder to see flawed execution from the freecam mode because it'd harder to detect when you're not paying attention to a very real threat. I also watch from the skycam to see whether the PoV you were using missed anything.

There's a reason I use the PoV review method: It's because it allows me to analyze your mindset much better and also analyse what your priorities at any given moment are.

It helps me speed up the review process and identify both tactical errors and mistakes in awareness.

My review legend:

I've decided to begin using solid, dashed, and dotted lines in my reviews to denote the way an engagement runs

SjDDZqtl.png?1

Edited by EchelonIII

Hey Echelon, I was looking for some review of my kv5 games, and here are three, around average games. 

Wasn't sure if I counted in the green target audience, but I feel very green most the time ;_;

http://wotreplays.com/site/1526540#self

http://wotreplays.com/site/1526539#self

http://wotreplays.com/site/1526537#self

Hey Echelon, I was looking for some review of my kv5 games, and here are three, around average games. 

Wasn't sure if I counted in the green target audience, but I feel very green most the time ;_;

http://wotreplays.com/site/1526540#self

http://wotreplays.com/site/1526539#self

http://wotreplays.com/site/1526537#self

I watched the first replay and noticed that your exposure management and armor handling is quite VERY suspect

oJXor9Wl.jpg

arHdXCDl.jpg

fbcKE12l.jpg

aKuj7pAl.jpg

6iqiac6l.jpg

UNkSYkRl.jpg

IHKXPzbl.jpg

tk9vmCWl.jpg

DFnsunHl.jpg

I watched the first replay and noticed that your exposure management and armor handling is quite VERY suspect

-snip-

Thank you for all the pointers, in your opinion what is the best way to angle the kv5? A more shallow angle than what I did?

I have a lot to be working on, thanks for *tanking* the time to look over the replay.

edit: Is something like this a good angle? It could be used off of a building/wrecks/obstacle to hide the r2d2 and give autobounce angles down the side.

YbWhPYl.png

Your angle needs to be shallower, the angle you gave is alright, but you need to be conscious of your engine deck which protrudes.

In general, the errors you made in all three games all boiled down to the same concept, there's no real need to go into specifics i.e. you mismanaged your exposure horribly.

You play peekaboo with heavy TDs, you poke into a situation where you can't pen, you poke into an autoloader. There isn't much to say other than stop pressing into poor trades.

Also, do note that the more you angle, the more you expose your 120mm engine deck (see below), you need to wiggle back and forth to close that gap, not just angle

Z5VI4Sv.png

So I am willing for the beating this will entail. I suck in the E100. I am a liability to my team in it and almost never play it because of that. I am 'that guy' in this tank and I don't want to be.

I obviously didn't learn some critical skills to make this tank work. These are the only two replays I have since 9.5 rolled out. Both were the same night.

http://www.vbaddict.net/download_replay/bortass-na-921bf023b4c598aece290c1f0907b23a/fjords-germany-e-100-19801218873896

http://www.vbaddict.net/download_replay/bortass-na-921bf023b4c598aece290c1f0907b23a/tundra-germany-e-100-11280230511420528 

I just play my Leo 1 in tier 10 since at least I have a decent winrate in it and it's the only other one I have.

I recently started playing again after a long hiatus, but with the benefit of trying hard not to be a scrublorde from about 3k games onward. Since I'm still learning the flow of the maps, and even some of the tanks I'm not 100% familiar with I tend to err on the side of aggression when I'm unsure of what to do. I tend to play every tank like a medium rushing to a flank and trying to hold it which often ends with my dying early, which I think must be contributing to my relatively low recent wr in comparison to wn8. Here's the most average replays I could find.

Panther 2, just started Germ meds after playing mostly RU meds, probably shows.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1528668#hidden_village-drj_zoidberg-panther_ii

Bat, meh game, how would you go about getting more damage in without dying, I contemplated leaving hill because it felt unproductive, but figured I'd just be missing out on the cleanup damage once we broke through on them.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1528719#winter_himmelsdorf-drj_zoidberg-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t

Having a hard time picking games so I rolled a random number 1 to 200 and it was 90, so here is the 90th game in my replay folder, I didn't watch it to try to keep it random so hopefully it's not too bad.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1528796#highway-drj_zoidberg-panther_ii

So I am willing for the beating this will entail. I suck in the E100. I am a liability to my team in it and almost never play it because of that. I am 'that guy' in this tank and I don't want to be.

I obviously didn't learn some critical skills to make this tank work. These are the only two replays I have since 9.5 rolled out. Both were the same night.

http://www.vbaddict.net/download_replay/bortass-na-921bf023b4c598aece290c1f0907b23a/fjords-germany-e-100-19801218873896

I only needed to see the first one to see all I needed to see, and yes, it is worth an extremely harsh beating.

I do have some questions.

1. How did you get to an E100 to begin with?

2. How did you play all the tanks up to there if your armor management is that terrible?

2a. Why do you like showing side and rear armor so much?

2b. Why do you even bother with 6th sense if it's clear that you disregard it anyway?

2c. Have you never learnt to sidescrape?

3. Why are you using AP?

1rtDF44l.jpg

tnqgiM1l.jpg

YOSAgjnl.jpg

qaZVSWll.jpg

QKHYySsl.jpg

gZcKBqWl.jpg

rV1AJKVl.jpg

1EJ7H9Ul.jpg

Panther 2, just started Germ meds after playing mostly RU meds, probably shows.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1528668#hidden_village-drj_zoidberg-panther_ii

It only shows if you show side in your russian meds as well

Your situational awareness is poor, as is your armor angling. You were able to sneak in some shots, but those often came at too high a cost.

The real moment the game was going to be poor for you was the opening, you pushed your P2 up too aggressively against heavies who had no trouble taking position on you.

vneUXBdl.jpg

lzDVaTel.jpg

uo2zrCLl.jpg

aBbxzm1l.jpg

JX4LzJul.jpg

7TJEKtNl.jpg

xYfMaQbl.jpg

I only needed to see the first one to see all I needed to see, and yes, it is worth an extremely harsh beating.

I do have some questions.

1. How did you get to an E100 to begin with?

2. How did you play all the tanks up to there if your armor management is that terrible?

2a. Why do you like showing side and rear armor so much?

2b. Why do you even bother with 6th sense if it's clear that you disregard it anyway?

2c. Have you never learnt to sidescrape?

3. Why are you using AP?

-snip-

First off, thank you.

Now your questions.

1. Because I'm not dead. Anyone can fail their way to a tier 10. I didn't bot my way there but I sure as hell didn't get there competently. The 2x XP for all games around Memorial day helped alot.

2. The tiger 1 and 2 I ended with w/r around 49%. E75 was 53%.

2a. It's not intentional.

2b. I ignored it because (yes this is very stupid in retrospect) Heavies go to that bend, so I was trying to get there. I took the wrong path and pushed on. I also had that voice in the back of my head reminding me that I suck in this tank, don't let the team down and I'm flailing around like a moron with no clue wtf I'm doing.

2c. No, I don't think I have. I understand the concept and sometime I can block 4k dmg in the E100 but it's not common. Same with other heavies. I don't understand the angles required. 

3. I bounce HEAT and AP. I try AP at the start and will switch to HEAT at times. I did try just using HEAT when I first got it, but the results were about the same.

Now at the risk of more well deserved wrath.

What tank(s) do you recommend to learn to properly sidescrape and how much damaged blocked for a goal? I have no problem playing tanks I've already been through, even if it means rebuying, to learn this. I have the E100 line, obviously, and Russians up to the IS3 and KV4.

Now let's pretend I took the covered route to get to the corner. The JP and E4 are spotted. Do I still proceed to the corner or should I do something else? I understand my inability to sidescrape makes it a moot point. I just want to know the correct play. I assume it's proceed to the corner and sidescrape.

First off, thank you.

Now your questions.

1. Because I'm not dead. Anyone can fail their way to a tier 10. I didn't bot my way there but I sure as hell didn't get there competently. The 2x XP for all games around Memorial day helped alot.

2. The tiger 1 and 2 I ended with w/r around 49%. E75 was 53%.

2a. It's not intentional.

2b. I ignored it because (yes this is very stupid in retrospect) Heavies go to that bend, so I was trying to get there. I took the wrong path and pushed on. I also had that voice in the back of my head reminding me that I suck in this tank, don't let the team down and I'm flailing around like a moron with no clue wtf I'm doing.

2c. No, I don't think I have. I understand the concept and sometime I can block 4k dmg in the E100 but it's not common. Same with other heavies. I don't understand the angles required. 

3. I bounce HEAT and AP. I try AP at the start and will switch to HEAT at times. I did try just using HEAT when I first got it, but the results were about the same.

Now at the risk of more well deserved wrath.

What tank(s) do you recommend to learn to properly sidescrape and how much damaged blocked for a goal? I have no problem playing tanks I've already been through, even if it means rebuying, to learn this. I have the E100 line, obviously, and Russians up to the IS3 and KV4.

Now let's pretend I took the covered route to get to the corner. The JP and E4 are spotted. Do I still proceed to the corner or should I do something else? I understand my inability to sidescrape makes it a moot point. I just want to know the correct play. I assume it's proceed to the corner and sidescrape.

Sidescraping would have been your best bet, you could also have used the bounces by the JPE to land HEAT shells through the superstructure of the JPE. It was mostly a lost fight due to it being 2 v 1 (you should never have gone alone to begin with). But there were a few instances you could have snuck a shot into the JPE superstructure.

The other key thing to do was highlighted in the pic where you turned to face the JPE. One of the problems of the E100 is that unlike a US or USSR tank (e.g. M103 or even STI), your turret armor is weakest when facing your target (turning an M103's turret negates the angled turret, but turning the E100 creates an angle).

Your absolute biggest mistake was poking on the two TDs four times, you could have been dead the first time with the way you peeked had both TDs punished the error.

Bat, meh game, how would you go about getting more damage in without dying, I contemplated leaving hill because it felt unproductive, but figured I'd just be missing out on the cleanup damage once we broke through on them.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1528719#winter_himmelsdorf-drj_zoidberg-bat_-ch_tillon_25_t

Having a hard time picking games so I rolled a random number 1 to 200 and it was 90, so here is the 90th game in my replay folder, I didn't watch it to try to keep it random so hopefully it's not too bad.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1528796#highway-drj_zoidberg-panther_ii

I'm not a batchat player, so I can't really give a fantastic review.

But your Panther 2 play.... holy shit. You do perfectly OK (if a bit passive) and take a good number of free shots for the first bits then go full retard by jumping in front of three tank destroyers side-on

HG2nudLl.jpg

x66pCGfl.jpg

ZZjBHt9l.jpg

qSqKm3Dl.jpg

OrN1S1gl.jpg

pm9xzvKl.jpg

cwgVp7il.jpg

aIbSe83l.jpg

Ok, so the best I could of hoped for is a delaying action on that corner.

Any thoughts of a good tank to learn sidescraping in? I have read the E100 needs to angle harder then most tanks. I will be doing some searches. I need to pick up this skill.

It only shows if you show side in your russian meds as well

Your situational awareness is poor, as is your armor angling. You were able to sneak in some shots, but those often came at too high a cost.

The real moment the game was going to be poor for you was the opening, you pushed your P2 up too aggressively against heavies who had no trouble taking position on you.

You've pointed out two of my biggest weaknesses, I don't even consider my angle when I'm not looking at a corner and consciously setting up on it, for some reason I only think about being hulldown in a position on the backside of a slope like that, even though I could have been hulldown and angled to the other dudes on the left. You're 100% right I did not see or notice the KV-5 or the 122-44 before they were shooting at me, tunnel vision at work. I realized I was about to be overwhelmed on that flank and start to panic instead of keeping clam and maximizing what I can do once I'm already in a bad situation. I'll work on the angling since I know it'll get even more important with the E50.

I'm not a batchat player, so I can't really give a fantastic review.

But your Panther 2 play.... holy shit. You do perfectly OK (if a bit passive) and take a good number of free shots for the first bits then go full retard by jumping in front of three tank destroyers side-on

I remember this game, my typical play on this map from north spawn would be to rush to K0 behind the houses but I've found that doesn't work great in the P2 because it's too slow and can't really abuse people during reloads with the lack of alpha/autoloader, so that leaves me trying out new positions, I'm not 100% sure where my lanes of fire would be since I haven't played from that spot before, hence the multiple missed opportunities. That derp at the end is a case of thinking about 10 seconds ahead, and not thinking about what to do after. My grand plan was to ram the 34-3 then use his hull as cover to take on the JT. Which given the fact I've already taken TD fire from unlit dudes across the field is a terrible plan. It's a habit I have to break when I think I can "outplay" people but put myself into a situation where if the immediate plan goes awry I have no way to back out safely. All I needed to do was keep those guys from advancing into base, could have done that from cover instead of diving off a cliff. Thanks for taking the time to review for me, try to focus on taking less damage today through better angling and awareness.

Ok, so the best I could of hoped for is a delaying action on that corner.

Any thoughts of a good tank to learn sidescraping in? I have read the E100 needs to angle harder then most tanks. I will be doing some searches. I need to pick up this skill.

I hope Echelon doesn't mind, and his opinion may very well disagree with mine, but I'd suggest the Tiger 1. E75 is too friendly - if you give too much an angle in the Tiger 1 you'll know it immediately. 

Good stuff so far, Echelon. Some very good reviews.

Thanks Delta. I still have my Tiger I and a crew in it. I wanted to boost it's bad W/R....

I also agree about the feedback Echelon is providing. I've looked at what he provided for DrJ. It's very helpful.

He tore me a new asshole bigger than the one he drew on my E100 but I'm fine with it. Thin skinned people need not apply to this thread.

I hope to someday post a replay and have him not tear my play apart so badly. Show him that Burdy's can learn even if I'm the reason no one respects us.

I hope Echelon doesn't mind, and his opinion may very well disagree with mine, but I'd suggest the Tiger 1. E75 is too friendly - if you give too much an angle in the Tiger 1 you'll know it immediately. 

Good stuff so far, Echelon. Some very good reviews.

No worries, just post anything you want.

Tiger 1 works well, angle too little and you won't be able to shoot, angle too much and you get penned, show front and you get penned.

E75 is very forgiving because the frontal plate means you can afford to show front (even LFP would be angled).

IS-4 is an excellent sidescraper but you probably won't want to play your TXes as practice runs.

If you want to do it at low tiers on a budget I might say go Matilda.

OK, I think I'm going to take a beating for this one.

You may think that this's what you warn about; posting only best game, but I believe that this game was pure luck more than anything and not what you called the best game by a long shot. I'll died in the first 5 minutes even (I at least recognized that part). But I still want you to point out where can I minimize the luck factor in this kind of situation.

Seeing that you said you specialize in reviewing Light Tank, and I'm still learning how to play one, I think I'll ask for your help.

Anyway thank you for your advises in advance.

prokhorovka-france-amx-13-90-37357493818

OK, I think I'm going to take a beating for this one.

You may think that this's what you warn about; posting only best game, but I believe that this game was pure luck more than anything and not what you called the best game by a long shot. I'll died in the first 5 minutes even (I at least recognized that part). But I still want you to point out where can I minimize the luck factor in this kind of situation.

Seeing that you said you specialize in reviewing Light Tank, and I'm still learning how to play one, I think I'll ask for your help.

Anyway thank you for your advises in advance.

prokhorovka-france-amx-13-90-37357493818

Your game should have ended in a potato three minutes in when the WZ got you in a vision lock.

2DG4hKQl.jpg

UNu2XaQl.jpg

VE2MjYVl.jpg

Czm6bXcl.jpg

t8tcPIvl.jpg

Y0XzDQrl.jpg

OntU3chl.jpg

m14R8ksl.jpg

h0CBfIRl.jpg

HCOrneil.jpg

XT1HfkAl.jpg

ncfn4dpl.jpg