Paaranoja

SilentStalker sure does hate us

By the way. Anyone noticed he quoted the thread Titel wrong. Nice yellow press Niveau. Just changed it the way it fits him more so he generates more likes ^^

click bait and misinformation.

I see the word 'hate' being thrown around in this thread, and I think that some people either don't know what real hate is and therefore use the word too loosely, or misinterpret the statements of others as hate instead of just dislike/annoyance. I think it takes a lot more than some slightly unfortunate comments and some doxxing to be truly hated by people. At least for me personally I don't hate SS - at all. I dislike him for some of the things already mentioned in this thread, but I far from hate him.

Just thought I would point this out, before people turned on full hate mode. ;)

I honestly think we could probably pull off doing silentstalker's job (of aggregating dev translations and WoT news, not "entertainment") ourselves. It's a bit of work to do alone, but if you throw up a patreon for the contributors and have a couple people working together to do it, it wouldn't be difficult. I'd have very little reason to visit FTR if all the stuff I go to FTR for is available elsewhere in a better, cleaner format and hosted by a less opinionated admin(s). Naturally we're not going to replace FTR, not by a long shot, but it might still be worth doing even for the small crowd that'd appreciate it.

I dislike SS in the matter of him posting things he shouldn't, but besides that i kinda like the newsfeed, as said before on this site, the translations from RU wot sites, and info he garthers makes it a LOT easyer for all of us who dosnt speak/understand any east european. 

Its really ashame that WG is so bad at delivering news in English to its EU/US community in the first place that hes site is needed. If they did their jobs in the first place we wouldnt even need anyone to go news hunting (Q&A hunting and such)... 

But sure if somehow Wotlabs or wotlab members could come up with equal newsfeeds for all things wot(+ maybe wows and AW) then i would ditch SS`s side and use those sources. 

Also, why would anyone borther to speak to the potatoes in hes topics. dont use the view/read/write part of hes blogs posts they are full of bads anyways, just ignore that crap and focus on reading the real news. Its all that really matters in the end anyways. 

Just my 5cents. Anyways, back to being idle/afk in wot community and doing homework assignments. Rip.. 

you must sometimes separate the man (or woman) from their work. He does sound like an ass over the internet, but so do a lot of other people. His FTR website does put a lot of effort into its content, and I think it does a good thing for the community. 

Is he trying to manipulate clicks to his website by cultivating  a fairly obnoxious persona? sure. It might be the only way to get enough traffic. Is his website a bad thing? not really, I like it. His anti-unicum rants are a bit annoying, but he cant get any better, and doesnt understand how others can, without cheats. 

I honestly think we could probably pull off doing silentstalker's job (of aggregating dev translations and WoT news, not "entertainment") ourselves. It's a bit of work to do alone, but if you throw up a patreon for the contributors and have a couple people working together to do it, it wouldn't be difficult. I'd have very little reason to visit FTR if all the stuff I go to FTR for is available elsewhere in a better, cleaner format and hosted by a less opinionated admin(s). Naturally we're not going to replace FTR, not by a long shot, but it might still be worth doing even for the small crowd that'd appreciate it.

Plausible, especially since the Russian Q&A and most other "news" sources are publicly available. In Russian of course.

Plausible, especially since the Russian Q&A and most other "news" sources are publicly available. In Russian of course.

This^^ As much as players rag on the WoWP, 1 thing some of the WoWP NA community did do was go to the RU/EU forums, find any related blog, websites that dealt with WoWP and bring it to the NA forums, even though it was mostly done via Google translate. I believe some have even gotten contacts over on the RU and several I know on the EU to translate or move info.

So Rexxie, it's actually quite possible to pull something similar off, granted there's players willing to spend the time finding and translating the info. Let alone finding good contacts on the other servers.

As for SS, IDGAF about him. I'm interested in planes and ships, not rants, etc relating to tanks.

lets do this

He is not doing much himself. He is making thousands of euros every month in donations for one translation a day, a couple of reposts in English and an occasional article about Czech tanks. Coding and everything else is handled but other people. And people that write articles there, are just helping him get shitloads of money by making product for another guy's business. 

Would the articles section be a good place to post the translations?

The previous articles could be linked to in the translations to help educate the player base.

I'd not take the translation to the articles. Better create another sections, because the translations will be pretty many and wont be up-to-date after some time compared to articles.

I often see now how some judge FTR for stating opinions. Opinions about the news are fine, just if the opinion is... garbage (like anti-unicum things) its not needed there.

Ooh good thing I'm learning Russian 101 this semester. 8)

He uses wordpress and they have a clause stating you're not allowed to release personal information without the individual's consent.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/user-guidelines/

http://en.support.wordpress.com/private-information/

but we can't do anything because it is hosted by wot-news and not Automatic.

You do release that is for blogs hosted on wordpress.com and he is not hosted there?

That's part of it, but unlike Jingles (who from what I can tell is a pretty nice/reasonable guy), SS is a bit of an ass.

I met Jingles when he did the trip to Ohio. He made a stop in Delaware OH. He was a pretty nice guy.

You do release that is for blogs hosted on wordpress.com and he is not hosted there?

It is an open source version of wordpress which means wordpress won't do anything.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/disputes/

he uses .org and not .com

You'd have to contact the wot-news guy, and SS could dox you, just like the troll, if you did that.

but we can't do anything because it is hosted by wot-news and not Automatic.

He is not doing much himself. He is making thousands of euros every month in donations for one translation a day, a couple of reposts in English and an occasional article about Czech tanks. Coding and everything else is handled but other people. And people that write articles there, are just helping him get shitloads of money by making product for another guy's business. 

More like hundreds. The ads are worthless, his patreon is like 450 a month. I don't think he gets much in donations outside of that, maybe a couple hundred from what I have seen over the years. There is no way he could maintain the blog as a part-time deal in terms of time. It's probably not enough for full-time work, but wouldn't leave much time left over. Most of his time is not creating a post, but digging around for information from contacts. It's not a super productive job in the grand scheme of things, but it's probably time intensive beyond most peoples imagination. It works because he lives in a low cost country and he probably doesn't spend money on anything other than rent and food.

Sorry for the off-topic, but when more exactly is doxxing acceptable?

I can only remember that time when 4chinz gave out personal info on 2 complete douchebag kids that hanged puppies or something

I can only remember that time when 4chinz gave out personal info on 2 complete douchebag kids that hanged puppies or something

Doxxing is never acceptable because it's basically vigilantism, which is in turn unacceptable for various reasons I can go in to if you want me to.

Only time i'd consider it ok would be if the person being doxxed was a criminal and the information about them and proof of crime was sent to the nearest law enforcement agency and not posted online.

Most people would probably deem it acceptable in regards to actual criminals but that is subject to various local laws and still not a good idea to go public with for two reasons:

1) If the criminal isn't of the nice variety, figuring out who you are isn't very hard and you may get an unwelcomed house guest in the near future.

2) You can risk breaking some law that makes the evidence useless and even if you don't, you are liable for slander/harassment suits (he/she is not actually a criminal until found guilty) and may inadvertently hinder any existing police investigations. Filing your own report to the police with your collection of circumstancial evidence is a much better idea, which is usually what actually happens in doxx threads on 4chan.

Only time i'd consider it ok would be if the person being doxxed was a criminal and the information about them and proof of crime was sent to the nearest law enforcement agency and not posted online.

I see. And what if you doxx someone you thought was a criminal and then discover that actually the crime was committed by someone else?

There is a reason legal systems exist. It's to minimize the amount of bullshit involved in this kind of thing. 

Bullshit still happens, of course, but the aim is try and reduce it.

Trust me, vigilantism leads nowhere good...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Against_Gangsterism_and_Drugs

I see. And what if you doxx someone you thought was a criminal and then discover that actually the crime was committed by someone else?

There is a reason legal systems exist. It's to minimize the amount of bullshit involved in this kind of thing. 

Bullshit still happens, of course, but the aim is try and reduce it.

Trust me, vigilantism leads nowhere good...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Against_Gangsterism_and_Drugs

i remember when reddit thought they found the boston bombers, they didn't, and the press didn't vet it and ran with it. The wrongly accused were not happy about that incident.