monjardin

The Ideal Skirmish Player's Garage

I finally posted my list of the most desirable tanks for regularly running skirmishes on WoTScout. My intent was to give a list of great choices for someone trying to get at least one viable tank per tier--a minimal garage for a desirable skirmish participant. Great input was provided by _vode_an_, but his list is a lot bigger. I wanted to get down to just a few per tier that will definitely get used each week.

Tournament Tank List

What are your opinions? Have I left out any pearls or included some lemons?

I'll start first.

• I'm thinking of dumping the T-34 & Type T-34 from tier 5 just because of their lower HP pools.
  • Tier 6 seems light. Have any of the heavies taken a prominent spot since the KV-1S split? I haven't been playing tier 6 strongholds, but I know 15 T-37's was fairly common during the 3rd campaign. For example, should the KV-85 or M6 be on the list?
  • The E 75 and VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. B seemed to fare better than the WZ-111 1-4 on Stalingrad in Skirmish 51.
EDIT: Fixed broken links.

What I usually do is use the gold i make from the previous skirmish to buy 1 or 2 viable tanks for the next, if it's a tier I don't keep in my garage, such as anything below 8. That being said, it relies on your team consistently doing well enough to cover that cost and still make a hefty profit, which if you aren't consistently making at least 7500 per week, isn't likely worth it. When we do tier 8/9/10, I don't have to spend anything, because I already have the tanks.

What I usually do is use the gold i make from the previous skirmish to buy 1 or 2 viable tanks for the next, if it's a tier I don't keep in my garage, such as anything below 8. That being said, it relies on your team consistently doing well enough to cover that cost and still make a hefty profit, which if you aren't consistently making at least 7500 per week, isn't likely worth it. When we do tier 8/9/10, I don't have to spend anything, because I already have the tanks.

I think that's pretty common for the many of the higher end players to only do high tier skirmishes. Next week is tier 10 and the competition will be fierce. Low tiers are full of scrubs and it's pretty easy for average teams to grab 7.5k to 10k gold.

For most of the tiers I have a couple tanks sticking around. For the lower tiers I generally just acquire what I need. The cheap retraining this month has been nice for moving commanders.

Tier 3 

- M2 Medium is pretty good on depression maps

- Cruiser 2 is good on maps where engagement distance is close

Tier 4

- An argument can be made for hetzer on close range maps

Tier 5

- Type T-34 is garbage.

- Chaffee is still not bad if you want speed

Tier7

- Depending on the map, Tiger/IS/T20 are good. Comet's DPM is only useful if you can actually get to use it. A lot of the time, you're just trying to get sneaky shots at range, T20 blaps each shot for way more. It also has better camo/view range.

Tier 8

- I think Hypnotik was telling us on skype that the RU is the most played tank in gold league, so...

Tier 9

- Tier 9 autoloaders are by in large garbage. This is mostly because since the reload is so long on them, they can only get 1 clip off during an engagement. And their 1 clip doesn't even kill a tier 9, unlike the 50100 at tier 8.

- Heavy maps are usually dominated by E-75 and Conqueror, depending on what you want to accomplish. I'm not sure the WZ111 is good for anything other than to get somewhere fast... maybe if you really need the mobility as a heavy.

Just adding to what you already have

T4: Hetzer

Having one of these in your lineup can be a game changer since it can one shot most in tier tanks. I would not run more than one as it is very inflexible (poor view range, turretless, RNG-dependent).

T5: The KV-1S is pretty much better than the KV-1 on most maps because of it's mobility. For example, on Siegfried encounter, the KV-1 can't even get into town safely whereas the KV-1S can. For small maps where mobility doesn't matter the KV-1 is naturally the best tank you can bring. I think it's also worth talking about the different guns you can bring on the KV-1. The 57, 85 and 122 are all viable and deadly.

The T(ype)-34 imo just don't have enough health to be a mainstay. If you have to bring a luchs anyway due to tier point limitations, I'd just load up on Ram II/KV-1S for HP and rely on the luchs for spotting. This is obviously map dependent.

T6: 

The T-150 and M6 are really nice on city maps. The M6 is situationally good on some maps where mobility isn't too important and you can play hull down.

T7:

On some maps, where hulldown isn't important the IS and the Tiger are going to be better than the T29. The IS imo is the best tank for city maps (Himmels/Siegfried) because of alpha.

The T20 is worse for brawling than the comet but there are many situations where the alpha and 90mm gold round are just straight up better. Really depends on the map + tactics.

T9: 

I strongly disagree with the T-54; low alpha and armor that isn't gold resistant makes it fodder on most maps. The best tanks for tier 9 IMO are the E75, E-50 and 50 120. The WZ is also a very good choice if having some mobility is important. The 50 120 needs good execution but if you get to reload even once and land all your shots, you're very likely to have won.

The VK B is just garbage; it's too slow/inflexible to justify the armor, which isn't even foolproof against T9 heavy gold rounds (at close range, the E75 can easily pen the upper plate with gold)

T10: It's somewhat map dependent but anytime you have a brawl scenario batchats + 50Bs should be your bread and butter. I would discourage you from bringing russian mediums on maps that aren't attrition-oriented as they are worthless against autoloader derps. When you have formats like 7v7 or less, tier 10 autoloaders will rape at least two tanks before you even fire a second shot, by which time you've already lost.

never use the LTTB

it's like useless man

heck E25 is better even, just get an m41 though.

Yea, no reason to have anything other than the M41 if tier 7 LT's are allowed.

Although, allowing tier 7 LT's in tier 7 skrimishes has not been happening since the M41 was introduced.

Tier7

- Depending on the map, Tiger/IS/T20 are good. Comet's DPM is only useful if you can actually get to use it. A lot of the time, you're just trying to get sneaky shots at range, T20 blaps each shot for way more. It also has better camo/view range.

Tier 8

- I think Hypnotik was telling us on skype that the RU is the most played tank in gold league, so...

Tier 9

- Tier 9 autoloaders are by in large garbage. This is mostly because since the reload is so long on them, they can only get 1 clip off during an engagement. And their 1 clip doesn't even kill a tier 9, unlike the 50100 at tier 8.

- Heavy maps are usually dominated by E-75 and Conqueror, depending on what you want to accomplish. I'm not sure the WZ111 is good for anything other than to get somewhere fast... maybe if you really need the mobility as a heavy.

Yes, I saw good use of the T20 in Skirmish 1. The DPM is so much lower than the Comet (~1500 vs ~2200), but that doesn't matter if the T20 blaps you for twice the alpha and hides.

I had meant to put the RU in the list already. That was an oversight.

Indeed, the auto-loader at 9 probably doesn't warrant being in the list either.

T9: 

I strongly disagree with the T-54; low alpha and armor that isn't gold resistant makes it fodder on most maps. The best tanks for tier 9 IMO are the E75, E-50 and 50 120. The WZ is also a very good choice if having some mobility is important. The 50 120 needs good execution but if you get to reload even once and land all your shots, you're very likely to have won.

I'm kind of at a loss on what to put at tier 9. Maybe I should just leave it open like tier 10?

Tier 5 is missing the kv-220, and LTTB for tier 7. IMO

I've run KV-220's before, but they're really outclassed by the KV-1 and KV-1S. You have to aim carefully for weak-spots to make the ~120 pen gold round to work, the DPM and alpha are low and only scrubs don't know where to shoot you. I think the KV-1 and KV-1S are just better.

1. Ltraktor, T1, MS1 are all viable

2. Cruisers, III for burst, I for derp in city

3. Cruiser 4, M2 Medium, T15, Pz.S35 - T15 is a solid mobile tank with decent view range and a reliable gun, can chip down cruisers from afar. PzS35 has one of the best gun handling in the tier and work well in combination with good scouting

4. Luchs - nothing else really matters at T4

5. Everything KV related, Ram II, Churchill, T25 - Churchill for damage sponge and DPM boat, T25 for people that don't want to retrain crews while still being fairly solid with good HP and gun

6. Cromwell, T37, M6/KV85 - no surprises here

7. T29, Tiger H, T20, Comet, Bullgod - I consider the T20 to be superior solely due to the alpha, Tiger H is a great damage sponge/DPM combo in non-vision control maps

8. RU, 13 90, 50 100, T32, IS3, KV5 - RU for vision control and DPM, T32 for hilly maps and lane control, IS3 for non-hilly maps and lane control, KV5 for city pushes, another damage sponge/dpm combo tank

9. E75, ST-I, E50, WZ111 1-4, T9 only is all about meat meat meat, anything lower tier cannot easily pen these tanks. E75 and STI laughs at even IS3s and 50 100s. WZ is great for securing map control while retaining 490 alpha and a decent dpm. If you're going to bring a conq, you might as well bring the E50. 50 120 is almost useless with its 3.3sec intra drum, and T54 is just too fragile. Only on open maps will I bring a combination of E50 and T54/WZ120

I'll start first.

• I'm thinking of dumping the T-34 & Type T-34 from tier 5 just because of their lower HP pools.
  • Tier 6 seems light. Have any of the heavies taken a prominent spot since the KV-1S split? I haven't been playing tier 6 strongholds, but I know 15 T-37's was fairly common during the 3rd campaign. For example, should the KV-85 or M6 be on the list?
  • The E 75 and VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. B seemed to fare better than the WZ-111 1-4 on Stalingrad in Skirmish 51.
EDIT: Fixed broken links.

I was on spencer's team for skirmish 51, we won the playoffs with the 111 1-4 and crushed everyone who brought a VK4502B. Our losses came from generally my bad calls

Just some additions from my thoughts:

Tier 3:

-Cruiser II derp, HEAT is more than enough to cut through armor at that tier, and then some

-BT-SV (muh bias), essentially your mobile anti-Pz 1C troll-mobile (poor man's version: M3 stuart or Stuart MK 1-IV, both are very good. Stuart 1-IV trades DPM for accuracy, damage and penetration)

-M2 Medium, depression + mini gun mantlet for hilly maps

Tier 4:

-Hetzer for CQC derp

-VK 20.01(D), has better gun depression if mounting the 50mm L/60

Tier 6:

-VK 3601(H) is situational, but very good for city maps. 88mm has decent DPM and it has the highest (non-premium, lol TOG) tier 6 HT hitpoint pool.

Tier 7:

HOW COULD YOU FORGET MUH T-34-1?

T-34-1: slightly better alpha (by "slightly" i mean negligible... 10 extra dmg per shot), significantly better armor for city maps on peek-a-booms (especially if hulldown), and (iirc) better DPM. Also very mobile (like the T20), and is very low profile (almost light tank level)