Kymrel

Storm: Battle Assistant mod would require an arty nerf

That person you all love has posted a QnA from Storm. One thing stood out:

- Storm states he doesn’t play arty, but other WG devs that do a lot (experts) like the Battle Assistant mode

- developers have thought about implementing Battle Assistant mode into World of Tanks, but Storm states it would have to come along with an arty nerf, so for now no proper solution was found

Soooo. If the Battle Assistant mode were to be available to all players through the game it would have to come with a clicker nerf. What is he admitting by that statement? Simply that the Battle Assistant mode gives clicker players a substantial advantage over those who don't use it. An advantage that is big enough that it would call for a nerf for the entire class of vehicles if implemented in the game itself. But apparently it is fine if individual cance arty players use this mod and get the advantage on their un-nerfed SPGs.

I actually tried this mod out and it gives poor arty players like myself (I only started down two different lines of arty to learn how to avoid the fuckers) a huge benefit. Experienced clickers probably don't benefit as much.

Lets just step back and think about how incredibly inept the WG devs are:

They created a mechanic that is generally acclaimed to be bad for gameplay, and has had to have been nerfed and capped repeatedly.

They created a UI that balances because it makes it hard to use, but when someone creates a superior UI, it makes the bad mechanic sufficiently easy to use that it now needs nerfing again. 

Except that...the UI is only a view of the situation, it doesn't actually change how the shots fly. It makes it slightly easier to visualize, but you could already do everything that Battle Assistant does with proper manipulation of the top down view, which has been documented and available for anyone to study since at least 2012 (when I learned from some Youtube arty videos by a guy named 40_tonne).

And of course the proposed change is going to be to increase RNG on arty shots, so that even though you can now line them up better, they will just hit less. 

Fucking WG, just remove fucking arty already. 

I would just like to point out how all of his parading of the BA mod has come back to bite the denier SilentStalker in the arse; seriously, we have to thank him for how his shameless promotion of the mod gets arty nerfed again.

Seriously though, BA mode is overrated, it doesn't make arty better, it doesn't make aiming easier, and it makes baddies take shots they shouldn't take.

I missed the whole buzz about battle assistance mode. What is and how does it effect arty?

Basically allows aiming from the point of view of the top of the shell arc instead of a top-down.

This is what Battle Assistant does. Just look at those screen shots. Gives even the greatest tomato a idea how his shot will hit the enemy tank. Makes it easier to snipe engine decks too. 
I guess the only reason why this mod makes arty better is because it helps terribads (and thus most of the WoT population).

I kinda hope they will eventually ban this despite giving it a modding award.

I missed the whole buzz about battle assistance mode. What is and how does it effect arty?

While in arty mode if you hit G it shifts the camera to the apex of the shell arc (sort of like WoWs when you have to shoot over terrain). While it's nice to visualize for an arty noob like me, I can't help feel I get baited into taking shots I have no business doing so.

It pretty much gives the artillery players the ability to actually aim for your tank properly(and aim for squishy things like your engine or turret top) and gets rid of the skill level required to be really effective with artillery on hill like areas and helps the really bad players aim properly at you on flat ground as well.

http://worldof-tanks.com/battle-assistant-best-modification/

This should be banned...since WG bans the mod that displays tank reload time above their tanks too...oh well.

[...]

You missed two infos:

- Storm openly says that the Battle Assistant mod does give players an advantage in game

- some of the solutions for arty (should the Battle Assistant mode be implemented) include showing arty reload timers to players or to designate the sector where the arty is firing from 

Well seems at least Storm is acknowledging that BA is broken, unlike everyone else.

Except it isn't.

Basically this is a free arty nerf because of a mod that doesn't really increase the combat capabilities of an SPG.

Silentstalker is great for promoting it.

I really wish they would just do a massive compression on the gun caliber of arty instead of having arty from random years sporadically implemented into the tree so they can get to monstrosities they have in game now. 

Like certainly, I would love to see arty removed and just used as a consumable for commanders in structured play. But the likelihood of that is probably close to 0. So just remove some of the RNG, lots of the alpha, and go from there, the arty all need HD models anyway, replace them then.

The mod really only helps people who have no idea how to usethe top down mode. Ive played with it and without it. I would much rather stick with top down mode than battle assistant's mode when I play arty. It is much easier to lead shots and move around. There are very few instances when the battle assistant mode makes shots easier for players who arent garbage. Though if it comes with a free arty nerf Im fine with that.

Let me sum this up:

1. Battle assistant mod released

2. Guds pick up the mod, realize it doesn't actually do anything useful, don't bother with it.

3. Denying shitlord parades it as the next purple killer like it's some kind of ATGM launcher in WW2 and will melt purple faces like he was opening the Ark in front of them

4. Hordes of baddies download it, "improving" their game by allowing them nothing more than the ability to take shots they should not really have taken in the first place, resulting in many harmless misses

5. WG Devs hear of BA mod's prevalence

6. PWG begins planning nerf for arty even though the mod actually does absolutely nothing

7. Glorious free arty nerf, cue pubbie tears

TL;DR Battle Assistant Mod: Shitters parade around anti-purple mod, mod doesn't do it's job and gets them nerfed for nothing.

pubbie%20tears.jpg

The mod allows everyone to do what only the most experienced clickers could do before. The noticeable effect is that previously mostly safe locations are all of a sudden close to standing in an open field.

As someone wrote in the first topic about BA: it makes clicker more accurate, so his spg is more accurate. 

BA makes clicker's life a lot easier when he must take a look where he can shot. On British lol spgs (Bishop right now) it works. With standard god view BA breaks the game.

Another fitting analogy between BA and rifle optics: there are always a lot of less experienced people who want to believe skill > tools. Doesn't work that way. Each increase effectiveness and they are cumulative. No amount of skill allows you to see topography from the overhead view in every situation like BA does, nor can you possibly aim as accurately with equal speed and consistency. Any one saying otherwise hasn't really explored the subject enough.

it allows you to chuck an arty shell through a tiny window in a building to hit a tank that would be arty safe had the arty player not been using the mod. Imagine an IS-7 sitting behind a building on the south side of himmelsdorf 8 line, arty is up on the railway in A2. Arty can hit the IS-7 with the mod.

3. Denying shitlord parades it as the next purple killer like it's some kind of ATGM launcher in WW2 and will melt purple faces like he was opening the Ark in front of them

Speaking of ATGM, Battle Assistant in conjunction with Meltymap mod does make the game look like Drone Simulator 2015.

Video reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A5mpC-pwWk

I use BA mod to better visualize the arty shot. I then turn it back to sky-down view, and get a better feel of where my view is. Using BA mod less and less. Its useful in certain situations such as judging terrain slope better, but really it makes no difference in the end whether or not RNGesus or SerBeus will bless your shot

I wonder how WG can nerf arty further though, assuming they even want in the first place, which they most likely wont in the forseable future (it will never be removed)

Its already:

- terrible accuracy

- glacier like aim-time

- awefull dpm (unless you lol pen)

- most of the time terrible chasis, (way) too slow to relocate, way to big to hide, all you can is sit in base and shoot cross map...

So unless WG wants to nerf arty and make it unplayable except for the biggest arty-bob or reddest-noob, they will have to reconsider arty as a whole, since any kind of nerfing (rld, aim time, mobility) will make it unplayable (its already terrible to play, but atleast you can play it... (if you really want too...))

So a new round of nerfs might be good, getting rid of penetration would be nice start, and giving 100m viewrange with 0 camo when shooting might also work, they can even buff the mobility a bit back that way :XD

ps: but i think this Storm statement is 50% troll 50% semi-serious, i doubt that much people use this mod...

it might help if you have accurate arty.  The little I've played with it, using U.S. arty, I can aim precisely on a target and then the shell hits 20 meters away with no damage. It just frustrates me because the inaccuracy of the arty.  I'd rather do the old top-down view which doesn't give the illusion of pin-point accuracy.

I've personally found that BA helps the most with french arty, and other more accurate artillery pieces (which needed the help IMO)