Sign in to follow this  
GradiusZA

T-54 Gameplay review

http://wotreplays.com/site/1548939?secret=e161880628f7bc9da73e26ec2d800d8c Prohorovka - Victory

http://wotreplays.com/site/1548933?secret=e161880628f7bc9da73e26ec2d800d8c Erlenberg - Victory

http://wotreplays.com/site/1548927?secret=e161880628f7bc9da73e26ec2d800d8c Airfield - Victory

Although all 3 replays are of victories I had yesterday playing the tank my damage in all of them were extremely sub-par. Between 700-900 damage each match.

Only reason I won these matches was either because my team was carrying me or my platoon mate/s were on top of things.

And that is simply not good enough at T9 to be carried, I'm the one that is supposed to lead the charge so to say and set the example not die silly ways :-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Edit: I was possibly raging last night and coupled with that bad game play. So apologies to everyone :/

I'll try to watch them later if I have the time and update this post.

Only have time to go through one, so I chose the airfield game because that's the map I'm most comfortable on and would thus hopefully give good advice for.

15:00 - If you can afford to load 20 HEAT rounds you can afford an auto extinguisher.  No reason to gimp yourself.  You didn't exactly get a good spawn, so taking the E7 ledge might be a bit bold.

14:09 - Your Lorry is peaking and not seeing anything (and more importantly, not getting hit), so there's no reason not to join him on the ledge, unless you feel particularly disinclined to potentially crowd him.  There's no real reason for you to poke the corner like you do.  In-fact, going straight up to the ledge likely would have been less risky.  Being up on that ledge is just a much better position for a T-54 than down there in the brawling zone.  Not only does it give you some measure of concealment and cover, but it also allows you to (somewhat) influence control of the middle hill, deal with base campers, and shoot anyone foolish enough to be on the F line at this stage of the game.

14:04 - You really shouldn't be peaking brawling corners this early in a T-54.  The next tank to crest there is probably going to be the hundo, and you have a poor chance of doing anything against him with just AP rounds.  Sure, you don't have any heavies there yet, but neither do they (besides the out of position 113), and peaking that corner isn't going to deny the enemy any key positions, or get you any damage.  It only really places yourself at risk at getting peaked and shot from their ledge.

13:49 - You were doing a good job keeping an eye to your right, and you see the STB there, so why, why do you still poke out?  You have very little chance of doing damage to the 113, so why would you put yourself in front of all of their guns?  You got greedy and tunnel-visioned, but didn't even get greedy on something you could hit.  Even if it was something that you could have hit, you pay no attention to your own position and overexpose yourself.  You get absolutely punished for it, but to be fair that 50-120 should have finished you.

13:40 - Oh wait.  He does.

This match was pretty short and the only thing to really comment on was positioning.  A T-54 has no real business being in the middle there, you died before the heavies even got there, but if you had stayed for the brawl you likely would have just gotten in the way. 

The only lesson to take from this game (and I doubt you need anyone to tell you this, considering how it got you killed in 2 seconds) is to not get greedy.  Everyone is guilty of it, but being greedy can make you only focus on getting that one hit and make you forget your surroundings and disregard the potential consequences for going for that shot.  That is what happened in this case.  As soon as you saw that STB (hell, even without the STB there at all) you should have backed off and tried to get to a more useful position.  Just think about risk vs reward.  That was a very low-chance shot, in the most dangerous position on the map.  Your team had very little to gain from 320 damage on that 113, and a tier 9 medium to lose.  In a sentence, just try to be more aware of your positioning relative to the enemy and their lines of fire.

Edited by KnobbyHobbGoblin

It seems you need to take more shots, more shots taken = moar dmg. 

Find time to poke and shoot enemies without return fire, crossfire whenever you can.

More or less

Can't watch replays right now due to using phone

Have you tried spotting at the start OP?

More or less

Can't watch replays right now due to using phone

Have you tried spotting at the start OP?

I have but the T-54 gets me into trouble so fast most of the time I've taken to hanging back slightly and trying to adapt my game to take shots from the side. Then moving to another flank to do another thing. Well trying is the operative word.