zapyoug

The dangers of freindly arty

As one could probably guess with this topic, I got TK'd by arty agaaain today

leaving my count at 4 times team killed by arty in the last week, just arty helping out like always

so, whats other peoples experience with this? because its feeling like I should really avoid trying to circle heavies (or facehug, or really be within 10 meters of an enemy) from fear of my own clickers

I've stopped circling heavies in my lights/mediums for that exact reason.  When I go in and begin circling a tank and get tked by my own arty they usually trot the line "but I T'd up my target, it was your fault."  I'll scroll up the chat log and find that they didn't  say anything.  It's not so much the fact that they tked me, but the fact that they cannot admit that they made the mistake which caused me to be killed by their shell.

not even MaxL is safe, even from his own platoonmates  :biglaugh:

well yesterday I was platooning with a random bimbo player, they were in arty, I was in my light tank annnndd

Do I really need to explain what happened any further?

I've stopped circling heavies in my lights/mediums for that exact reason.  When I go in and begin circling a tank and get tked by my own arty they usually trot the line "but I T'd up my target, it was your fault."  I'll scroll up the chat log and find that they didn't  say anything.  It's not so much the fact that they tked me, but the fact that they cannot admit that they made the mistake which caused me to be killed by their shell.

Ive never had any arty use this excuse on me but Ive seen arties in pub matches complain about it and one of my biggest issues is as the friendly arty shell normally pens me for all my HP, I cant rtb and kill the baddie myself

also, as far as win rate and overall success goes with the avoiding circling, hows that seem to work out?

well yesterday I was platooning with a random bimbo player, they were in arty, I was in my light tank annnndd

Do I really need to explain what happened any further?

Ive never had any arty use this excuse on me but Ive seen arties in pub matches complain about it and one of my biggest issues is as the friendly arty shell normally pens me for all my HP, I cant rtb and kill the baddie myself

also, as far as win rate and overall success goes with the avoiding circling, hows that seem to work out?

Well, it keeps the enemies in one "zone" for me(the zones being front, back, left, and right.  Front being the direction I want to go in.) which helps me control the situation.  I find some times, but not enough to be a great problem, when I circle a tank there will be a camoed TD or some camper who hasn't been spotted that chooses to show itself when I begin to circle.  I do attempt to take this into consideration when I begin to plan to circle a tank along with whether he is isolated, the terrain is smooth enough to track and retrack him reliably, and what if any support he has from arty. 

But there is only so much consideration and thinking that can be done, so I find not trying to circle and instead either outplaying my opponent or just relocating all together to be the best decision.  I would rather conserve my health and guarantee that I can still be a factor in a battle than take the chance I will throw away my life.  This leads onto a point that I always harp on, which is constant aggression and health conservation.  You could be aggressive and circle that tank, but you're taking the great risk of losing your health which you will need in the end game to ensure a win.  There is always an exception to the rule, so it is up to you to perfect your judgement skills and decide when and when not to circle.

"The biggest threat is not enemy artillery because they can always damage you, but your own artillery, because they can always see you and always damage you."

― Oneechan, 2014

Friendly SPG doesn't exist.

MF, 2015

Notable friendly fire this week:

FV3805 for 1700 hp

CGC for ~1500 hp

M40/43 for 600 hp

It is pretty annoying, some arty players just don't give a sh*t.

Well me and my platoon mate, both in IS-3s, went after a 400ish hp Centurion or Centurion 7/1 on Cliff, I left the Cent to die at the hands of my platoonmate while I continued the push towards their remaining tanks, when jumping down on the Cent he was clicked for pretty much full hp by our "friendly" M40/43.

Why?, are you even thinking at all?, why would you risk to kill a friendly just to do 400ish extra damage?, the Cent was ALREADY DEAD, go click something else, greedy bastards. I had to turn back and travel towards the Centurion to finish the job...

Same thing yesterday, I went after a very low hp 50b in my IS-7, I facehugged him while reloading and my platoonmate said "Don't do that, our arty is gonna hit you", I got the 50b but our own arty, even though he had a 70% chance of hitting me he took the shot, he splashed me...

One thing, how do you turn blue in arty?, because I've seen arties dealing a lot of damage to friendlies yet they don't turn blue as a normal tank would do..., what am I missing?.

or really be within 10 meters of an enemy) from fear of my own clickers

Splash damage won't make that a viable strategy. 

One thing, how do you turn blue in arty?, because I've seen arties dealing a lot of damage to friendlies yet they don't turn blue as a normal tank would do..., what am I missing?.

I think the game counts incidents of friendly fire and whether it was in a cap but not how much damage was dealt because you see tanks turning blue after 3 shots for some 400ish dmg but arty not turning blue for oneshotting friendly tier 9-10 meds for 1700ish hp.

This is a question worth asking tho - does the game count the damage or the number of hits or both with regard to team damage?

Well me and my platoon mate, both in IS-3s, went after a 400ish hp Centurion or Centurion 7/1 on Cliff, I left the Cent to die at the hands of my platoonmate while I continued the push towards their remaining tanks, when jumping down on the Cent he was clicked for pretty much full hp by our "friendly" M40/43.

Why?, are you even thinking at all?, why would you risk to kill a friendly just to do 400ish extra damage?, the Cent was ALREADY DEAD, go click something else, greedy bastards. I had to turn back and travel towards the Centurion to finish the job...

Same thing yesterday, I went after a very low hp 50b in my IS-7, I facehugged him while reloading and my platoonmate said "Don't do that, our arty is gonna hit you", I got the 50b but our own arty, even though he had a 70% chance of hitting me he took the shot, he splashed me...

Ive got a decent amount of experience turning blue and it generally requires hitting the SAME teammate in succession, if you spread it out between several teammates you can get away with aloooot. Also damage doesn't matter (atleast as far as getting banned goes, you do loose quite a bit of your profit and XP), Its just # of shots into teammates soo since your generally dead by the first shell that is why you dont see the arty going blue often (most machine guns are exceptions fortunately btw)

+1 to teamkill count

GW panther killed both my and the enemy arty I was circling

and was completely unapologetic saying he had to for a mission

10/10

A whole new level:  

Enemy team have 5 vs 1

Our Type-58 kills T67 and 2 arty, but he's down to 10hp and both enemy have good health.

2 vs 1, 3 mins left.... not looking good

*Enemy SU-100M1 was killed by enemy SU-14-1*

*Enemy SU-14-1 was lost in battle*

What an arsehole.

Nice Kolobonov for the type-58 though :)

http://wotreplays.com/site/1560753#team

But what to do about that arty?  Sometimes reporting feels like it's not enough.

A whole new level:  

Enemy team have 5 vs 1

Our Type-58 kills T67 and 2 arty, but he's down to 10hp and both enemy have good health.

2 vs 1, 3 mins left.... not looking good

*Enemy SU-100M1 was killed by enemy SU-14-1*

*Enemy SU-14-1 was lost in battle*

What an arsehole.

Nice Kolobonov for the type-58 though :)

http://wotreplays.com/site/1560753#team

That hard carry, tho.

But what to do about that arty?  Sometimes reporting feels like it's not enough.

Provide a replay and say what happened on a penalty appeal to WG if you're willing to go through the effort. The only unfortunate thing is that due to WG's policy, they don't tell you if the player gets banned or not. :/