Allurai

How To Crew Yer Tank Right.

I wrote these a while ago and figured I should probably share them with everyone. If you know me - then reading these in your mind in my voice will make them that much better. If you don't know me, then imagine a massive condescending nerd, with dry sarcastic humor and a really really epic neckbeard - and that'll be close enough.

Allurai's "Meat and Three Veg" Main Battle Tank Guide:

MBT means the Maus', the T110E5, IS-7, everything used in Clan Wars, some TDs (if you use them in a MBT role) such as the T110E4s and JagPzE-100s, and some Mediums such as the E50M. For the most part this will be for you if you're getting too close for camo to matter, or have a low enough base camo rating on the tank that you've considered "2.2x nothing = nothing". I've colour coded this stuff by how good it is,

green being good, and red being truly dreadful. If you want to be truly effective in Champ/Abso Companies and Clan Wars - you are ideally more than 40% through your third skill. If not, you have accelerate crew training enabled and are grinding the hell out of your tanks.

With common skills, the important crap about these skills is that they are averaged across your crew. This means that out of 6 crew men, if you have 3 at 100% and 3 at 0%, then your tank has an average bonus of +50%. With Brothers and Arms, being a perk and all, it only activates when the crew average is 100%, meaning every god damn crew member in your vehicle has to have this at 100% before it works. For a MBT both Repairs and Brothers in Arms are pretty damn important, which means that many of the skills on other tanks aren't viable until well into the 3rd/4th skills.

Camo:
This is not the right place for camo users. For the most party, camo is useless on a MBT, and a painted camo on your tank will provide more bonus than a 100% camo skill crew.

Repairs:
Yes, repairs is important. Repairs, Repairs, Repairs. Saves you from Mediums. Saves you from Arty. Gets you back in the game quicker. This is your bread and butter skill (potato skill for the Irish). You want a high average across your crew which means sticking it on every crew member except the Commander and Driver. When you start your crew I would normally do Mentor/Repair/Repair/Repair/Repair etc.

Fire Fighting:
This skill is pretty bad, even if you're in a tank that tends to catch fire often. If you always seem to be on fire, then prevention is much better than dealing with it after it has happened. A gold fire extinguisher with Preventative Maintenance is 1 skill instead of 1 per crewman, and means you will be dedicating less crew XP desired for other things on this mostly useful skill. This skill reduces the number of ticks you take from fire damage (down to half as many at 100%), so even with it at maximum you're still pretty screwed from a full duration fire.

Brothers in Arms:
Pretty fucking important here guys. When you're dog fighting another tank, that slightly improved performance for aiming, reloading, shooting on the move, turret traverse etc, all pretty damn important. Even the slightest edge can turn into a massive advantage. This is pretty important. Unlike the other guides I've written, I recommend Brothers in Arms early as long as you can steal a Commander from another tank to get you sixth sense. This 5% crew skill persists if a crewmen dies. It's generally pretty damn awesome, and you should have it. You ground out a t10 ffs, your crew should be bad ass enough to support it.

Skills for the Commander:
Sixth Sense: No surprises here, this is still the best damn perk in the game. Not getting this perk when available is amongst the most stupid moves you can do in life; worse than not putting up a fight for half your stuff in a divorce. Having a tank and this skill will get you preference in the MBT, as it provides more valuable scouting view range than your (probably) terrible view range. Who hates dieing from Arty? You do. So get the skill and outa the damn way.
Mentor: If after careful consideration you want to forgo some repair skill in favour of mentor and spending gold coins on retraining, then do it. The XP bonus from Mentor provides more bonus the larger your crew is; that being said it's still very good for a 4 man T110 crew. You can keep this skill going as long as you like, as crew XP is hard to come by, like good workers and fat free ice cream that doesn't taste like ass.
Recon: Snipers will want this, Snipers are not an MBT. MBTs don't particularly care for it. This is a direct competitor for Mentor, and since getting your other guys high XP and skills for their skills is pretty damn important, Recon isn't too appealing until your Commander is looking at his 4th skill. View range = awesome, but in a MBT you will have your targets lit for you. You're there to deal and take damage, the scouting info should be provided.
Jack of all Trades: A heavy tank may find this slightly more useful than other tanks do; and Vini and OOP have presented a decent argument. Keep away from this if your commander is prone to dying often (T110 series, this is you) and have a 2nd glance if your tank has 2 loaders. After BiA, SS and Repair - this is a viable alternative to Recon.
Eagle Eye: Not particularly useful on a tanks, and not supported on Arty. Quality Wargaming product right here. A good idea wrapped in crap, seasoned with piss and served with a side of shattered hopes and dreams. Never get this skill.

Skills for the Gunner:
Snap-Shot: The good-guy-greg of the Gunner skills, works on everything, provides a decent bonus and adds 10% more awesome to each of your shells. This skill is a casual glimpse at your coworkers tits to get your through the day, a breath of fresh air, reliable, dependable, motorboatable. The only hard part is considering whether you will train this before or after repair. This skill doesn't stack when you have 2 gunners which is pretty sweet, as it gives you more room for other nifty skills.
Deadeye: Excellent perk when you are mid-4th skill, or have a 2nd Gunner and no need to train Snap-Shot twice. This provides 5-12% more critical chance depending on module struck, so is pretty bad ass. If you're shooting the crap out of it, then do it. The issue here is, there is much more better skills you need to get before you can squeeze Deadeye in. If you're running a single gunner you shouldn't be picking this up until you're well into your 4th skill. But when you do, Hetzers gonna Hetz, Cryers gonna Cry, Deniers gonna Deny. The higher your rate of fire, the better this skill will be for you.
Armourer: Given your excellent Repair skill that you have you don't really need Armourer unless you're in an Obj263 (and you shouldn't be). There is plenty of better skills to get on your gunner.
Designated Target: Yeah, nah. This is 'poo'house in general, but more 'poo' for MBTs than other tanks (which it is still 'poo' on).

Skills for the Driver:
Clutch Breaking: Well well well, it seems that more traverse speed is never a bad thing, so getting more, much more, from this skill is a pretty damn smart thing to do. Get it done son. More turning = shorter time taken to angle hull = faster you can aim at circling mediums. This skill and Sixth Sense are about the only things more important than Repair.
Preventative Maintenance: I will cover this more in the Firefighting section. This perk is good/required if your tank is especially prone to catching fire (E-100s, we are all looking at you). If your tank doesn't like to shoot flames out of it's ass, you can safely mosey on.
Controlled Impact: Are you heavy, a fast mover, with excellent front hull armour (IS-7, E50M, AMX 50B, Obj263) then yeah, you should get this if you are often finding yourself using your vehicle as a weapon. This is excellent for taking out enemy scouts and bats.
Off-road Driving: While being an excellent skill, the MBT often avoids area of bad terrain, and given the other important Driver skills, we can't really justify ORD on many tanks. Faster/flanking/support tanks like the T110, E50M, IS-7 can look at this, but really you going to need a very experienced crew before this will work well.
Smooth Ride: This skill looks very worth it, but the bonus provided is low for a skill so I undervalue it quite a bit. If it provided 8%+ instead of 4% this would be a tasty skill indeed, but providing a fifth of the bonus that the Vert Stab does, just isn't that great. Auto-loading tanks should consider this skill worth it, otherwise I'd give it a flag.

Skills for the Radio Man:
Situational Awareness: Get this skill later on as the best of a set of bad options. View range is never a bad thing, but as mentioned above your lights are being provided to you, and you're probably in a pack, in a city. E50M and TDs should get this with prioirty, but the MBTs can safely consider most of these Radio Man perks to be pretty garbage.
Signal Boosting: This can be useful when grinding, but at end tiers, everything has a big enough radio that it's impossible to get out of radio range on most maps. Thus, this skill isn't great - in fact, for MBTs and Snipers, its a massive waste of time.
Relaying: See signal Boosting, but add another 'very' to 'its very bad'.
Call for Vengeance: Mmmmm, lets do some thinking about this. If you're in the MBT, you're in a pack. If you die in the MBT then someone else will be providing the same lights that you were. If you're the last tank in the MBT pack to die, then you've probably lost the game already. Don't bother with this terribad skill.
Relaying: Worth adding again just to mention that this skill is horrible.

Skills for the Loader:
Safe Stowage: 12.5% more ammo rack HP. Sounds good? Yup. Skill is very much like Preventative Maintenance where it's good on vehicles prone to taking ammo-rack damage *cough T110E5 cough*.
Adrenaline Rush: Worth picking up if you have a lack of other Loader skills to use. In some of the smaller crews the Loader gets Radioman skills, in which case there is probably a better skill available to you there. Either way, you won't be getting this unless you have a super experienced crew.
Intuition: Bad for Arty. Bad for Scouts. Bad for Snipers. Bad for MBTs. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

Heres some examples of set up crews from my garage (admittantly, these screenshots are old and I'm too lazy to update them). If you need to know/clarify anything, just ask.

T110 & IS-4 (Clan Wars MBTs)
rEg9E.jpgno6bO.jpg

IS-3 & Type-59 (Repairs Secondary)
bmqJJ.jpgo2vok.jpg

Newbie skills (lol Matilda Black Prince)
iiLai.jpg

Allurai's "Invisitanks/OMG YOU HACKER" Sniper and Scouting Guide:

This guide will walk you through crew builds for invisi-tank and hacker bullshit claims out the wazoo in pub matches. In CW this will keep yo ass alive while you beat the living crap outa scrubs getting in the way of your mountains of gold. If you're running a scouting T-50-2 or batchat, a camo sniper like 62A, or farming the hell outa noobs in your T49 this is the path you should be looking at.

So, straight into Camo, Repair, Brothers in Arms and Fire fighting. The important thing about these skills is that they are averaged across your crew. This means that out of 6 crew men, if you have 3 at 100% and 3 at 0%, then your tank has an average bonus of +50%. With Brothers and Arms, being a perk and all, it only activates when the crew average is 100%, meaning every crew member in your vehicle has to have this before it works - and thus it isn't worth it until you're 50%+ through your 3rd skill. Whether you fork over the gold to retrain or get BiA 2nd is up to you.

Camo:
Who likes being invisible. You do. This skill pretty damn important in regards to whatever the hell you're doing. Not being seen is directly related to not being dead. Being dead is a dumb idea, so anything to stop being dead is a great idea. You want this to be the focus skill of any crew member that isn't doing anything else useful. This means it is a priority, but say for the commander and driver, doesn't outweigh sixth sense and clutch braking respectively. You want this mofo to be high as possible to stack with your camo and binocs/optics to create a zone of death, where you capture unsuspecting tanks and do naughty things to them in your basement. Do it properly and your opponent will always come out battered, bruised and with a foul taste in their mouth.

Repairs:
Useful for Loaders, Gunners and Radiomen when you have some spare crew skills further down the path. While being averaged, having +30-50% repairs is still going to help you when you're getting tracked will often let you escape from a single heavy before he bangs your brain into another dimension.

Firefighting:
If you're set on fire, you're probably screwed. If you're looking into how to set up your fire truck, then you're too dumb to read my threads. This is for Invisitank Super-Hacks Tahnks.

Brothers In Arms:
Brother's In Arms is a pretty hardcore investment into your crew, and I would really only recommend it at 3 skills or higher, and to be a decent way through your third skill before you change over. The reason for this is the Commander, Gunner and Driver all have other skills and perks which you want to get. That being said, Brothers and Arms is an excellent boost to all of your crews stats, this means turning speed, aiming speed, reload speed, acceleration, camo rating, vision range etc. It's all good, but for a scout/med in its early stages of training, you're gonna have to compromise a crapload to squeeze it in. If you do however, it's well worth it.

Sixth Sense: You will never see me recommend any set of crew skills without Sixth Sense. This is because it gives you such a massive advantage you're an idiot if you don't take it. I have many "good players" tell me that they know when they are and aren't lit better than any perk, and that it's a waste; Those people are wrong, and I'm a better player than them and you're reading this because you want to get your crap sorted. Listen to me. I have much more situational awareness than most other players I've ever encountered and that light bulb going off has saved me more times than I can count. It's especially useful when providing scouting info as you can tell if an enemy has vision on an area just by poking your nose out, even if you can't see them your self. Get this skill or stop reading this guide you twat.
Recon: Yes numbskull yes. This is extra view range, extra view range is excellent, and never a bad thing. This skill is like a fine scotch, it takes time to develop your pallet for usage of such an awesome skill, but once you appreciate it, living without it can be rough; The more of it you get, the generally more happy you are in life. This skill is good but Sixth Sense, Camo and BiA all outrank it a touch, if you're not running BiA then all the better you can get Recon sooner.
Mentor: This is an excellent throw away skill, what I mean is use this if you plan to use gold to retrain that crew later and preferably at every crew skill. Example being, train Mentor for the first skill to get the XP bonus, at 100%, retrain the commander to Sixth Sense and start Mentor again for more bonus. If you're not planning on spending gold on your crew - avoid this skill. It's like a premium account in WoT, it is there for convenience, not for any actual benefit once tanks are shooting guns at each other. When you're grinding hard for a 3 skill crew, this shit will help, especially when combined with Accelerate Crew Training and any +crew xp bonus given for Events and Weekends.
Jack of all Trades: Carry a medkit. Problem solved. Commander skills are valuable, and this skill isn't.
Eagle Eye: This perk is so bad, that it still wouldn't get picked if it was a loader perk.

Skills for the Gunner:
Snap Shot: Keeping the circle smaller at all times, thus reducing aim time and fire on the move accuracy is pretty important. Why wouldn't you get this skill, it works for tanks, TDs and Arty. It's basically just awesome.
Deadeye: 3% more crit is actually 5-12% more crit chance depending on what module you're striking. It's 'uh-maze-ing' if you ask me. If you're a sniper tank this is your business. If you're a scout, please ignore this perk and carry on. I would get this first due to it being a Perk and always follow it up with Snap Shot even though I think Snap shot is slightly better value.
Armourer: Pretty meh, but can be helpful if the enemy is HE'ing your face off to break your shit and your repair kit is used. The problem is it just isn't that important and normally if you're in that situation you're gonna be pretty screwed regardless. I prefer skill that provide advantages when you're alive, not when you're on the way out. Good enemies will reduce the time between 'I might be in trouble' and 'Im dead' to the point that perks like this only apply 1 game in 20, and thus are pretty shit in my mind. This is a good skill, but just not important enough to get before anything else.
Designated Target: This skill is good for smashing up noobs, good players use cover very effectively and thus being able to see them for 2 seconds longer in a place where you can't shoot them is immensly dumb. There is much better Gunner stuff that applies all the time.

Skills for the Driver:
Clutch Braking: Every scout should have this. Every Medium should have this. This skill is off-the-hook crazy good. Turning your hull around faster lets you get out of lines of fire faster, encircle TDs faster; pretty much everything you do will be faster. Get it.
Off-road Driving: See Clutch Braking, but Off Road Driving is not quite as good or as important. If you're in a scouting role (light/med) then ORD will take priority over Clutch Braking
Preventative Maintenance: Not too bad, as most of us are running fuel and not an extinguisher. Struggles to compete with the importance of other Driver skills but can be good on a very experienced crew that isn't running BiA.
Smooth Ride: Doesn't apply to vehicles turning on the spot, so only get this is you're constantly shooting on the move. The agility skills (CB and ORD) are much more important. This doesn't provide enough of a bonus to be that significant.
Controlled Impact: You're already 10x heavier than whatever is ramming you, and if you aren't this baddies-only skill isn't going to save your paper tank.

Situational Awareness: See Recon. Get this skill mofos, it will make you better, and thus your team better, and then you can get paid more gold.
Signal Boosting: Can be ok if you like to sit in the corner on maps that are cut in half diagonally (ie. Karelia). You shouldn't be doing that, and I very rarely have radio issues. But in pubs you don't get scouts/meds that you can rely on to have their radio and modules and other shit in order. I like the skill for use in pubs and thus run it given the lack of other useful shit.
Relaying: This is another 'only useful in pubs' skill, and really only in lower tiers. As you're not towards the middle of the pack, you shouldn't be using this at all, or ever really.
Call for Vengeance: Actually not too bad at being a really shit skill. Being all "hey I lit him for 2 more seconds" will never be as useful as "hey guys I'm alive and still doing my job".

Skills for the Loader:
Safe Stowage: Generally a good idea due to a lack of actual useful Loader perks. I would even consider training Repairs instead of Safe Stowage if you have 2 loaders as that allows you to run 100% camo sooner and the 2 repairs skills in tandem add up. Get this if your vehicle is prone to exploding in RNG fury.
Adrenaline Rush: This can be ok, but it's not often that you get to less than 10% hp without being really screwed, or about to be really screwed. Like a aging whore in a bar, this only looks good once there is nothing else available. You're always 1 shottable when this is active, so the 10% bonus isn't going to help you get 2 shots off before the suckers fires 1 back at you.
Intuition: The king of terrible skills. Firefighting is better than this giant piece of crap. I would sit there and stare at the + on my crewman rather than train this. It's filthy and wrong, like touching yourself over any picture of Madonna taken in the last 10 years.

Here's some examples of set up crews from my garage. If you have any questions, post them and I'll happily answer them usually pretty quickly, usually.

Examples of a Camo Primary build:
T49 & Obj263
1pMDK.jpgdeUNT.jpg

Examples of a Camo Secondary build:
T110E4 & M18
n3Vs1.jpgsDJwK.jpg

Examples of Scout builds:
T-50-2 & Batchat 25t
luDF7.jpgbqnnFiT.png

Allurai's "Terrible-Human-Being Whack-A-Mole-e-lol" Arty Guide:

So Arty crew skills and stuff are a bit different from the tanking shenanigans in regards to the importance placed on the skills, but for the main part an Arty will use many of the same skills as a tank will. I'm hoping to cover with you lot what to do with your crew skills.

Remember if you play arty, you're a terrible human being. If you're a terrible human being like me and can accept that, well then read on.

First lets look at Camo, Repair, Brothers in Arms and Fire fighting. The important thing to remember about these skills is that they are averaged across your crew. This means that out of 6 crew men, if you have 3 at 100% and 3 at 0%, then your tank has an average bonus of +50%. With Brothers and Arms, being a perk and all, it only activates when the crew average is 100%, meaning every god damn crew member in your vehicle has to have this before it works.

Camo:
Who likes being invisible. You do. This skill is the bread and butter of low tier arty. You want this to be the focus skill of any crew member that isnt doing anything else useful. This means it is a priority, but say for the commander and driver, doesn't outweigh sixth sense and clutch braking respectivly. You want this mofo to be high as possible so that you can ditch your Camo Net for the Spal Liner at a later time (and yes, you do want to do that). Some of the higher tier Arty get next to no bonus from Arty, so if you're considering making this crew a tier 8 (or t10 in 8.6) arty crew, then you probably won't want camo.

Repairs:
Useful for Loaders, Gunners and Radiomen when you have some spare crew skills further down the path. While being averaged, having +30-50% repairs is still going to help you when you're tracking by counter battery and/or have some dick BatChat up in your Grilles.

Firefighting:
Any Arty that gets set on fire is screwed beyond belief anyway. I'm not even sure what I would do if I ever ran outa skills to train and had to do fire fighting on an Arty. Being caught with this skill trained on your arty may win you a Darwin award.

Brothers In Arms:
I saved the most important bit for last, assuming you're still with me at this point. BiA is a luxury that is pretty damn sweet and nifty, however, training these skills before you're on your 3rd skill means one of two things. You don't have any gold, nor plan on having any for a long time, or more likely, you done goofed with prioritizing your skills. BiA requires 100% on all your dudes. Look at your commander, he's gonna need 100% for BiA or that won't work, and 100% for Sixth Sense. You're an idiot if you don't take Sixth Sense, it's mandatory damnit. Sixth Sense alone is better than BiA, so you don't de-prioritize that for any reason. This means at least 2 full skills, and I would recommend that you wait for the extra 30% so your camo skills aren't as jacked after the change, 0-30% on your 3rd skill isn't that far to go and will be worth waiting for. If you're one broke-ass-tanker, and are starting with BiA from the get-go. Bend over, spread, soldier on; you're in for a long long journey. Doing this will hurt your stats, and thus e-peen waving ability. I don't recommend BiA ever before your 3rd skill on any vehicle unless you aint no gold digger.

Sixth Sense: You will never see me recommend any set of crew skills without Sixth Sense. This is becuase it gives you such a massive advantage you're an idiot if you don't take it. I have many "good arty players" tell me that they know when they are and aren't lit better than any perk, and that it's a waste; Those people are dumb in addition to being terrible human beings. I'm a better arty player than them so listen to me. Sixth Sense is mandatory - I can't repeat this enough.
Mentor: This is an excellent throw away skill, what I mean is use this if you plan to use gold to retrain that crew later and preferably at every crew skill. Example being, train Mentor for the first skill to get the XP bonus, at 100%, retrain the commander to Sixth Sense and start Mentor again for more bonus. If you're not planning on spending gold on your crew - avoid this skill. It's like a premium account in WoT, it is there for convenience, not for any actual benefit once tanks are shooting guns at each other. When you're grinding hard for a 3 skill crew, this skill will help, especially when combined with Accelerate Crew Training and any +crew xp bonus given for Events and Weekends.
Recon: Good skill, terrible for Arty. Why? Because unless you're on your 5th skill, you aint got room for it.
Jack of all Trades: Gonna file this skill under 'noobs only'.
Eagle Eye: Oh look, Jack of all Trades isn't the only 'noobs only' skill for an arty Commander.

Skills for the Gunner:
Snap Shot: 7.5% less reticle bloom (expansion) while moving the gun around (self explanatory, but for arty-newb: THIS IS PRETTY DAMN AWESOME). Doesn't stack when used on 2 gunners.
Armourer: If your gun is broke, then this skill ain't gonna help you hit shit. Use a repair kit to fix that up. Not a skill I would consider unless you're running an Arty with 2 gunners and need something that isn't Snap Shot.
Deadeye: 3% more crits while using Ammo you shouldn't be shooting out of an Arty ever. Well, at tier 8 anyway. This perk isn't for us Arty folk and can be safely ignored.
Designated Target: While this skill screams 'ARTY' at first glance, it doesn't work in SPG satellite view, and thus screams 'SCRUBS ONLY SKILL' instead. "But Allurai it does work in SPG view" says a slightly informed Webchef. Yes chef, you're right I'll admit that. Lets look at the advanced mechanics of the perk first. Things that it requires to work as as follows: Target must be within your view range; Target must be within direct line of sight; Your gun must be pointing at them within 10 degrees of the horizontal plane. Let me just check my brain for times in an SPG where these conditions are all true. Oh, whenever a light or medium is smashing your face in, at which time you need Call of Vengeance not Designated Target because you'll be dead. Perk remains ranked above Intuition only, as 2nd worst skill in the game.

Skills for the Driver:
Clutch Braking: Pros: Lets you turn your hull around faster, thus getting into position faster, thus also getting your gun pointed at the enemy faster, thus helping you when scouts all up in yo crib. Cons: your gun will bloom more when turning your hull. Verdict: Get this skill, damn son. Your gun is gonna bloom anyway when yo turn yo damn hull.
Off-road Driving: See Clutch Braking, but Off Road Driving is neither as good or as important.
Preventative Maintenance: Excellent Perk when you're on your 7th skill (so pretty much never, file this under crap skills with Jack of all Trades, Intuition and Eagle Eye).
Smooth Ride: Doesn't apply to vehicles turning on the spot, which is us Arty, so yeah, pretty useless unless you're an arty in TD mode shooting a target while moving, at which point this skill isn't going to help with your rampant idiocy.
Controlled Impact: You're already 10x heavier than whatever is ramming you, and if you aren't this baddie nub nub skill isn't going to save you.

Signal Boosting: Can be ok if you like to sit in the corner on maps that are cut in half diagonally (ie. Karelia). You shouldn't be doing that, and I very rarely have radio issues. But in pubs you don't get scouts/meds that you can rely on to have their radio and modules and other shit in order. I like the skill for use in pubs and thus run it given the lack of other useful radioman skills for an Arty. Getting Situational Awareness on the offchance you may 1 day put this crew in a different tank is probably a good idea.
Situational Awareness: Every arty should have real situational awareness, not this skill. This skill is awesome, just not for Arty. If you're using your view range in CW or whatever the hell, you're playing Arty wrong. I would get this if it were a loader perk, since those are worse, but it's not, so I don't.
Relaying: This is another 'only useful in pubs' skill, and really only in lower tiers. As you're not towards the middle of the pack, you shouldn't be using this crap.
Call for Vengeance: Actually not too bad for letting other Arty smash the scout that just killed you. Still a terrible skill though.

Skills for the Loader:
Adrenaline Rush: This can be ok, but it's not often that you get to less than 10% hp without being really screwed or about to be really screwed. Like a aging whore in a bar, this only looks good once there is nothing else available. Every now and then a counter battery round will land close enough to make this skill worth it.
Safe Stowage: If getting ammo-racked in an Arty is a frequent thing you manage to accomplish, then get out of this topic before you drool on it. It takes forever to get moron drool out of my threads.
Intuition: The king of nub nub skills. If this perk had XVM, it would be the 35% win rate E-100 that is AFK for 4 mins and then upon return accidentally shoots a friendly before achieving the pinnacle of dumbassery and drives off a cliff and into the lake. If this skill were a person, it would be known as being a detriment to everything that comes into contact with it.

Here's some examples of set up crews from my garage. If you have any questions, post them and I'll happily answer them usually pretty quickly and by meme.

Obj261 & Batchat155:
s59PT.jpg5I2EE.jpg

My S-51 & Hummel:
b7f0y.jpgYXwPA.jpg

Enjoy. Please feel free to copy/paste this and share with your clannies as you see fit.

For the driver on the T110, I'd put smooth ride instead of repair.

Repair works decently with only 4 crewmen using it, and you need the aim time for the pop and shoot playstyle.

What does intuition actually do? I never understood the mechanics of it.

What does intuition actually do? I never understood the mechanics of it.

17% of the time, when change the type of shell you are using while you are reloading (ie. not completely reloaded yet) the reload timer will not reset, and will continue from where it was while changing the ammo type.

As far MBTs and camo go, I feel some merits of having the skill is worth mentining.  Camo gains value as the battle progresses and tanks are removed from the field.  While not being that important on an inital rush it will sometimes be the difference between winning and loosing mid to late game especially if the enemy doesnt have the skill.  Its less usefull in CW than pubbies, still wouldnt be one of my first 3 skills tho.

Starshiy Serzhant Bogun, IS-3 Loader, is clearly a man in a wig.  Why?

Haha, totally true. Those screenshots are getting pretty old now. I should redo some of em, especially since the T49 crew all got face lifts and boob jobs.

Actually, intuition just instantly loads the shell type you're changing to, when it activates. So if you switch to HEAT, you can get lucky and have it load instantly.

Source: Gameplay videos on YouTube.

I've always had a hard time deciding between smooth ride, clutch breaking, and off road driving (along with needing repair, BIA, and maybe camo). You seem to think that clutch breaking > all in all cases, which I can see the merit. But you really don't think much of smooth ride. I just think of it as a mini Vert, which means it will lower your aim time in most cases. Is this incorrect? does it function differently than a Vert?

I've retrained my drivers more than anyone, and right now I've been leaning towards smooth ride more often than not, but maybe I should go back to clutch breaking.

Actually, intuition just instantly loads the shell type you're changing to, when it activates. So if you switch to HEAT, you can get lucky and have it load instantly.

Are you sure?

This seems super mega crazy overpowered, 17% chance per loader of a 0 second reload?

Imagine a 183 with that, or a JPE100, or arty.

Do you perchance have a link to one of these videos?

Are you sure?

This seems super mega crazy overpowered, 17% chance per loader of a 0 second reload?

Do you perchance have a link to one of these videos? Yep, that's what happens. I saw it on a Mighty Jingles (BohemianEagle is thr youtube channel) video, pretty sure it was the Maus review. Basically, he got a press account with every vehicle, including fully specced crews on each tank, which is why he has intuition. Basically, he switches to APCR, a bing goes off, "your intuition has activated", and the shell is loaded instantly. Sorry for the unspecified source, I can't remember exactly.

Are you sure?

Do you perchance have a link to one of these videos? Actually intuition will instantly load if you have a shell loaded and it activates. If your half way through loading and switch (and it activates) you'll be half way through loading your new shell type.

Source? Me I have used the skill and this is how it works.

Actually intuition will instantly load if you have a shell loaded and it activates. If your half way through loading and switch (and it activates) you'll be half way through loading your new shell type.

This is what allurai said also earlier in the thread, and seems far more believable in terms of game balance, but this guy said he had proof, so I wasn't sure. I don't personally have the skill.

Off-road driving or clutch breaking for first set of crew skills? Which one is more valuable in the long-run?

This is what allurai said also earlier in the thread, and seems far more believable in terms of game balance, but this guy said he had proof, so I wasn't sure. I don't personally have the skill.

He isn't saying its a free reload. Its a free swap if you are already loaded. There is no way to boost your DPM with it.

He isn't saying its a free reload. Its a free swap if you are already loaded. There is no way to boost your DPM with it.

Allurai isn't, the other guy was if you go back and follow the conversation.

Maybe clarify that Snap shot does work on turretless vehicles, the in game text implies that it doesn't.

What? Damn...

yeah - i looked it up

I wonder when they added that. i tested it when they first released the crew skills beyond the first 3 and it only effected partial loads.

Actually intuition will instantly load if you have a shell loaded and it activates. If your half way through loading and switch (and it activates) you'll be half way through loading your new shell type.

This is indeed the correct description.

I experimented with the skill as well for a bit.  It sounds like it might be useful, but in practice it's so situational (and on some vehicles completely useless) that there are almost always better skills to take for your loader(s).

I'd like to offer a few alternative points of view on some skills.

Brothers in Arms:
Pretty fucking important here guys. When you're dog fighting another tank, that slightly improved performance for aiming, reloading, shooting on the move, turret traverse etc, all pretty damn important. Even the slightest edge can turn into a massive advantage. This is pretty important. Unlike the other guides I've written, I recommend Brothers in Arms early as long as you can steal a Commander from another tank to get you sixth sense. This 5% crew skill persists if a crewmen dies. It's generally pretty damn awesome, and you should have it. You ground out a t10 ffs, your crew should be bad ass enough to support it.

The non-replicable parts of Brothers in Arms boil down to a tenth of a second off your reload, even if its quite a long reload.  Now, sometimes that might save you, but if you're regularly in situations where you win only by a tenth of a second you're probably missing opportunities to win without it being so close.  You can get bigger role specific bonuses than BiA because the actual effective performance difference is only 2.15%  I would say to think about retraining into this when you're maybe partway up your fourth skill.  Good, but not actually that good.

Skills for the Gunner:

Armourer: Given your excellent Repair skill that you have you don't really need Armourer unless you're in an Obj263 (and you shouldn't be). There is plenty of better skills to get on your gunner.

Armourer doesn't really interact with the repair skill.  It reduces the accuracy penalty when your gun is orange, stacked with a vertical stabiliser it means that you can in most cases save your repair kit if your gun is damaged.  I like this as a third skill after snap shot and repairs.

Skills for the Driver:
Clutch Breaking: Well well well, it seems that more traverse speed is never a bad thing, so getting more, much more, from this skill is a pretty damn smart thing to do. Get it done son. More turning = shorter time taken to angle hull = faster you can aim at circling mediums. This skill and Sixth Sense are about the only things more important than Repair.

Off-road Driving: While being an excellent skill, the MBT often avoids area of bad terrain, and given the other important Driver skills, we can't really justify ORD on many tanks. Faster/flanking/support tanks like the T110, E50M, IS-7 can look at this, but really you going to need a very experienced crew before this will work well.

There are two limiting factors on turning your hull, the traverse limit and the ability to accelerate, and the latter can be significantly more important.  Check the ability of the Black Prince to turn its hull compared to that of the Churchill VII, they both have the same traverse rate, but the BP will turn a lot faster.  The limiting factor that skills can affect on ability to accelerate is your ground handling.  That means that Off Road Driving will, in many cases, also increase your ability to turn the hull, and give you the better acceleration where you're off road.

Skills for the Loader:
Safe Stowage: 12.5% more ammo rack HP. Sounds good? Yup. Skill is very much like Preventative Maintenance where it's good on vehicles prone to taking ammo-rack damage *cough T110E5 cough*.

I'm not so sure about this either.  Module HP, even for end tier tanks, does not tend to be large, and I do not think that this small bonus will save you from your ammo rack going orange if it is hit, nor from your tank exploding if it is hit by a dirty great big doomcannon or hit twice in succession by a cheesemuncher's autoloader.  Unfortunately, that does mean that loader skills are even less useful than ever.  Oh well.

Allurai's "Invisitanks/OMG YOU HACKER" Sniper and Scouting Guide:

Camo:
Who likes being invisible. You do. This skill pretty damn important in regards to whatever the hell you're doing. Not being seen is directly related to not being dead. Being dead is a dumb idea, so anything to stop being dead is a great idea. You want this to be the focus skill of any crew member that isn't doing anything else useful. This means it is a priority, but say for the commander and driver, doesn't outweigh sixth sense and clutch braking respectively. You want this mofo to be high as possible to stack with your camo and binocs/optics to create a zone of death, where you capture unsuspecting tanks and do naughty things to them in your basement. Do it properly and your opponent will always come out battered, bruised and with a foul taste in their mouth.

This is a little tank dependent.  If you're in a Centurion 7 or E50, you're a sniper, but you're visible from orbit so camo isn't going to help, getting your view range up so you see them first gets you the first shot though.