Allurai

How To Crew Yer Tank Right.

I have a commander with 100% Sixth Sense and 42% Brothers in Arms. I want to temporarily drop Brothers in Arms in favor of Mentor and am willing to pay gold to do this. I've never dropped a skill/perk on a crew member that already has one at 100%.

What happens if I do?

What will it cost to "retain" the Sixth Sense and replace Brothers in Arms with Mentor?

I have a commander with 100% Sixth Sense and 42% Brothers in Arms. I want to temporarily drop Brothers in Arms in favor of Mentor and am willing to pay gold to do this. I've never dropped a skill/perk on a crew member that already has one at 100%.

What happens if I do?

What will it cost to "retain" the Sixth Sense and replace Brothers in Arms with Mentor?

Skill resets cost the same regardless of number of skills.  So 150% crew or a 400% crew costs 200 gold to reset with no loss, and so on.

Note that if you credit reset, they retain 90% of their XP, not their training level.  So credit-resetting that particular commander would yield 98% on the first skill and nothing on the second, not 128% (142% * 90%).  That's because it takes 105k XP to finish the primary, ~210k XP to finish your first skill, and ~25k to get to 42% on the second.  340k * .9 gives us 306k left over, good for 100% primary and 98% first, plus about half the way to the 99th percent.

Source: http://www.planetwot.com/Crewxp/

Useful Purple Poaster thread: 

What would you put for skills on a flexer/terrain_abuser like the M26/M46?  I see that you put camo then handling skills on the BC, but for something with more crew (read: more skill options) what would you choose for order?

Put in more specific terms, currently, on my M26 I have:

Commander - BiA, 6th, Repairs

Gunner - BiA, Repairs, Snap Shot

Driver - BiA, Repairs, Smooth Ride

Radio - BiA, Repairs, Situational Awareness

Loader - BiA, Repairs, Camo

M46:

Commander - switch repairs with recon

Rest - switch repairs with camo

I wouldn't reskill (don't have gold) unless there were a very compelling reason, but my Pershing is about to hit skill 4 and I wonder if I'm missing something important.

Looks like I'm going to be buying gold ( and retraining alot of crews. Thnks very good read enjoyed it.

People...PLEASE... there is NO "e" in the word braking as used in the skill name "clutch braking". ie, it is NOT clutch brEaking !!

That would indicate you are destroying the clutch, eh?

Thank you, you are dismissed, today's spelling lesson is over.

thank for this thread :)  I just maxed my 1st skill on my best crew so I'm resetting to 6th sense on commander and will go from there.  Very helpful

I've been training Jack of all Trades on my batchat due to the common occurrence of multiple crew members dying and making my clip reload ridiculous.  Is that a good enough reason?  I already have Sixth Sense and Recon on the commander and I took it as the third skill, but should I have taken something else instead?   

I'd never play the Bat without full cammo crew. On the other hand I suck at the Bat.

When I do use it it is normally as an active clan wars scout, so camo never really crossed my mind.

When I do use it it is normally as an active clan wars scout, so camo never really crossed my mind.

Well when you are actively spotting with a camo crew, you will get spotted from closer, giving you more time to spot or get back to cover, it also decreases the time you are lit, I believe.

For all lights the crew camo bonus does not go away when moving.  So, camo is even more important for an active scout.  All my lights commanders get six sense (of course) followed by camo then recon.  Staying hidden is staying alive with light tanks.

For all lights the crew camo bonus does not go away when moving.  So, camo is even more important for an active scout.  All my lights commanders get six sense (of course) followed by camo then recon.  Staying hidden is staying alive with light tanks.

Fun fact of the week: Bat-Chat now a medium tank!

People place way too much emphasize on camo and view range in crew and equipment selection in my opinion.

Spotting is like trying to outrun a bear, you don't have to be the best, just have to be better than the guy next to you.

Most of the times a camo abusing tank would be behind bushes, in which case the bush provides so much camo bonus that you would not be spotted even if you had zero camo skill.

Other times you would be so close to your target that even if you had double the camo you would still be spotted.

For camo to be "effective" you need to fulfill multiple criterias which pretty much come once in 10 games or so and doesn't do much anyways because a camo reliant tank would also be a tank that re-positions often.

My advice, don't learn Camo until its at least your 3rd or 4th skill, Repair, 6th sense, preventive maintenance, safe storage, snap shot and such are much better for your performance.

And Carbon jumps the shark.

I dunno man... I put BIA on my T49 1st cause I was a baddeh. I then trained Camo. NIGHT AND DAY.

Now, we talking about an E5? Yeah, I can see it. My 13-90/Batchat. Camo 1st, Camo 2nd, Camo 3rd.... ok now I'll learn something else.

In response to the question about jack-of-all-trades, I usually find that if I have lost crew members a second time (already used my FA) I'm basically dead anyway by that point, so I'd put that on a pretty low priority.

On smooth riding not applying "to vehicles turning on the spot". Can anyone confirm this is true? I always thought it was a good skill for turretless TDs, but if that is the case I don't see nearly as much value in it.

According to the Wiki:

The Smooth Ride Skill enables the Driver to reduce the penalty accuracy and shot dispersion that is applied to shots made while the vehicle is moving. The effectiveness is progressive by an amount of 0.04% per percentage point of the Skill's Training Level up to a maximum of 4.0% when the Skill level reaches 100%. The effect of the Smooth Ride Skill is cumulative with that of any installed Vertical Stabilizer equipment.

The Smooth Ride Skill is primarily helpful on fast tanks that like to circle or flank, but also useful for peek-a-boo shooting. To be clear, the Smooth Ride Skill improves the accuracy of shots made while the "vehicle" is moving and the Snap Shot Skill affects the same when the "turret" is moving. Both Snap Shot and Smooth Ride Skills are recommended for best battle performance, particularly for medium tanks or for any player who likes to run and gun and fire on the move.

1st off, excellent guide, highly useful info, no wonder I left official forums. Even though you don't specifically mention the T57 in your guide, would you consider the crew skills that apply to having a good crew in the T110E5 good for a crew in the T57?

Below is my current T57 crew set-up.

WUWo6uJ.png

As you can see I'm approaching my 4th skill on this crew. I found your guide a couple of days ago doing some research on what to pick for my 4th skill, and I am glad that see from reading that I maybe got the skills right for this crew. (For once...)

But I'd like a second opinion. Is this a decent set-up for a T57 crew? Or did I screw the pooch, and I need to spend some gold because I am dumb scrub? (I already know I am a scrub to begin with :smallsmile: )

I have a question, what is the best way to manage crews when you have several tanks of the same type and nation?
E.g. I am grinding my way up the American heavy line. I have and plan to keep T1 Heavy, M6 and T29, probably I will be also keeping all the other tanks in the line all the way to the Tier 10.

So, what is the best way to crew them? So far I was simply buying a new 75% crew for each tank, but now I am starting to have doubts. Having and training 6 separate crews seems to be very inefficient way, it is very unlikely they will ever get far past first secondary skill.

I don't want to spend gold every time I want to play a different tank either.

So, what is the best approach:

1. Separate crew for each tank:

• Pros: after some grinding reaches 100% in primary skill, so there's no penalty to tank handling.
  • Cons: very unlikely to accumulate multiple secondary skills ever.

2. Single crew, operating one tank and 100% and the rest at 80%:

• Pros: accumulates secondary skills much faster.
  • Cons: have only 80% skill in 5 out of 6 tanks.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I assume that standard approach is 1, but maybe my assumptions are completely wrong?

I'm no purple poaster, but this is how I do it. Keep moving your crew up to the next tank, this allows them to build multiple skills which will serve best in the tier tens. Then, either buy a 75% or wait until crews are on sale and grab a gold crew to put back in the vacated tank. Turn accelerated training on and grind those tanks on 2x crew or any bonus xp weekend event thus allowing them to gain skills as quickly as possible.

If you intend to keep tier 5 & 6 I would just start them off with fresh crews, and move your experienced crew up tiers.  The impact of training is more important the higher your tier.  I would still look for a sale to buy 100% crew, but it's not that big of an issue to take them from 75% if you want to.

To be honeat, this is WAY better than anything I've read on the offical forums. Sure there's the occasional stroke of genius on there, but at least here, I now have an agenda for my KV-1's crew skills

If you intend to keep tier 5 & 6 I would just start them off with fresh crews, and move your experienced crew up tiers.  The impact of training is more important the higher your tier.  I would still look for a sale to buy 100% crew, but it's not that big of an issue to take them from 75% if you want to.

Thats what I do.  Keep some tier 5/6 as crew builders plus and convert all free xp to crews on elited tanks; plus don't forget premiums as crew trainers as well. I bump up my veteran crews as I progress up the line to tier 10 and if there's a tier 7/8/9 tank  I like and decide to keep I pull a now decent crew from my tier 5/6 crew builder tanks.  My basic 1st perk is 6th sense on commader for all with camo on the rest for TD's and lights, and repair for meds and heavies ... some deviations but thats my general rule of thumb for crew perks.

1st off, excellent guide, highly useful info, no wonder I left official forums. Even though you don't specifically mention the T57 in your guide, would you consider the crew skills that apply to having a good crew in the T110E5 good for a crew in the T57?

Below is my current T57 crew set-up.

WUWo6uJ.png

As you can see I'm approaching my 4th skill on this crew. I found your guide a couple of days ago doing some research on what to pick for my 4th skill, and I am glad that see from reading that I maybe got the skills right for this crew. (For once...)

But I'd like a second opinion. Is this a decent set-up for a T57 crew? Or did I screw the pooch, and I need to spend some gold because I am dumb scrub? (I already know I am a scrub to begin with :smallsmile: )

Those look good with the exception of mentor, which I really don't see any value in as it won't provide any in-game bonuses (which is really the point of skills/perks and I doubt the bonus exp would make up for that).