jackquerudo

What I learned from playing this game for 3.5 years

4. In the end, if you're not having fun playing this game, then why do it.

This is the only thing I want to comment on.  A game is supposed to be fun.  If it is not fun, it becomes work.  And that is fine if you are making money doing it.  I can and have had made money playing games (board and miniature) in the past.  The amount was pathetic and not worth the time and effort.  Thus the "job" was not worth it.  I rage quit several miniature games and toned down my board gaming from hyper-competitive to more fun levels.

Every time I ever dip my toes into competitive WoT, it has not been a fun experience for me.  I never found clan wars fun, I certainly did not enjoy tournaments.  Sure the gold payout was nice, but I could instead drop a few bucks to not have to worry about training, times, stress to perform, blame, etc.  I still have fun pubbing it, although it is mostly from platoons. 

This thread was pretty good from the get-go.

But seeing the WGLNA response just makes it awesome.  Like, what better way to show how awful you are than to ban someone from your league because they said something mean about you on an unofficial forum.  I bet that will make other people interested in getting involved in your shitty e-sports league.

Stay classy WG.

Someone accused us of making arbitrary decisions without thinking them through!  What should we do? 

BAN THEM IMMEDIATELY

Anyhoo, best wishes with whatever you end up doing and congrats on winning the game

:bravo:

That response from WG has made me finally decide that I will not enter into ESL while playing World of Tanks. That is simply stupid what they have done.

And thanks for sharing your experiences with it all. Always interesting to hear from someone who has the experience from the top-level ESL.

In retrospect this was probably the dumbest thing I've done to date, and is probably going to be a life lesson for my children some day.
Reading your poast made me feel old.  It reminded me of not too long ago when I finished my first competitive online game.  Like you, I invested thousands of hours, became extremely skilled, and competed in esports.  Like you, I was nearing the end of my schooling and generally had my life on the right track, but I sunk a lot of time into a video game. Like you, I effectively wasted a year after graduation (in my case I wasted it on a girl, but the life lesson was about the same, and far less interesting than being able to list professional gamer on your resume).  I won a piddling amount of money, enjoyed myself generally....and then the game died off.  The stats and achievements I worked so hard on were forgotten, the friendships I made were lost.  It was disheartening.  It felt like I had wasted years of the prime of my life on trivialities.

And then I found another game.  I made new friendships, enjoyed myself playing in another game...and life moved on.  As silly as it sounds, in retrospect having a game die and moving on to a new one is no different than switching from HS to college -- you lose contact with a lot of acquaintances, maintain contact with your best friends, and move into a new environment, hopefully better and with more perspective both about what you can do and what you want to do.  And even years later I have people contact me and say "hey are you the garbad who did X."  I can't wait to be playing EvE 3:  Rise of the Pony Faeries and have some pubbie ask if I was the garbad who hated arty back in 2012.  I'm sure it will happen.  It will happen to you, too.

Wot seems to be on the spiral down.  This year or next, it will die.  No one will care about your accomplishments.  But make no mistake, your performance in school or work is equally as trivial.  No one will remember or care how hard you studied as a 1L.  You might, your friends might.  And that's no different than looking back and wot and remembering the good times and good friendships you had, or the accomplishments you take pride in.  I get the pride of knowing I was the best internet pirate ship commander in the world.  Its silly and limited, but then, so is taking pride in my GRE scores or the amount of income tax I have to pay.  You can tell your kids about winning esports season 3 and making the padders cry when you best them in wn8 and win rate while not being retarded.  If gaming became an obsession to the point where it hurt your life (dropped out of school, turned you into a recluse, etc), sure, its a problem.  But I don't think it was.  It was just a harmless past time, where you had fun, made friends, worked and achieved some things, and made some decent memories.  That's nothing to ashamed of, or to regret, IMO.

I will probably never speak to you again.  But I enjoyed gaming with you, wish you the best in your life, and....that's enough.  That was not time wasted.

o7 jackie.

P.S.  Ah, wargaming,  Professional and classy to the end.

Funnily enough, I was thinking earlier on today how much less fun trying to improve my stats to purple has made WoT. I played for 18 months before taking a long break at the start. I discovered later I was low blue without stat-chasing and at that time I actually enjoyed the game.

Then I started playing WoWP and didn't really bother with my stats. Made top 20, got into top clan, carried Antonio around, quit when WG broke the entire game.

Came back to WoT: decided to make unicum stats my goal. Discovered that unless you have the patience of a saint and don't have a million other frustrating things in your life (the UK MoD outsources its security clearance to a private firm who suck balls, yeah you heard right, even the US of capitalism don't do that) this is a terrible idea. I've started to hate WoT more and more, especially since I've started playing Warships which is infinitely better (for now). The meta grates on me, the RNG grates on me, the arty grates on me. Missions just made it worse.

I think I need to take a lesson from Jackie here.

This will probably be the most serious/corny thing I've ever said on a dumb shitty forum but all that really matters in these types of games are the friendships that you make. I can sit down and play the shittiest game imaginable with some of the mr sexiis I met in WoT years ago and still have a blast. After playing many different games for many years I'm thoroughly sure that there are none that can satisfy me enough for long enough to waste more than a few years on. Maybe I'm just not autistic enough.

God this post is gay.

God this post is gay.

Have you seen an exchange between sela and Rexxie?  Makes your post look straighter than a theoretical line.

Agreed, Wot stopped being a hobby as soon as Fulcrum won S1 finals unfortunately :doge:

Just wanted to say thank you for what you guys did for the league those first couple of seasons. Your attempt at "carrying" the competitive scene was very noble, but it doesn't surprise me that the burnout was real when changes weren't happening as quickly as you wanted. I can't imagine spending the time and energy you guys spent.

That response from WG has made me finally decide that I will not enter into ESL while playing World of Tanks. That is simply stupid what they have done.

And thanks for sharing your experiences with it all. Always interesting to hear from someone who has the experience from the top-level ESL.

ESL always has been stupid and corrupt at least when it comes to WoT. Dont know if they scrubbed the official EU-Forum, but maybe you are still able to dig up some real "gems" in that section.

Back on track, please.

Ah cmon bauce, this stuff hits the feels.

'Be a pal and look the other way while I bang a few fatties'

ESL always has been stupid and corrupt at least when it comes to WoT. Dont know if they scrubbed the official EU-Forum, but maybe you are still able to dig up some real "gems" in that section.

Esports is stupid in any game that wasn't designed with that in mind.

Trying to shoehorn esports into a released game diverts resources from where it's needed and the game ends up being worse off than it could have been.

Besides WoT you can look at BF3 and Planetside 2 to see recent games that joined the esports bandwagon and failed.

I know I have much to learn about life. But I respectfully disagree. In the mid-20s you should be doing something full speed, 110%, for everything that you do. There's simply no excuse not to since I am physically and mentally capable of doing so. If I don't use 100% right now, I won't have anything more to give later on in life. This is the time for me to build my career, and I can relax once I'm too old to work.

This is the work ethic that generally make Asian people more studious early on in life

How do I stop myself from falling into slumps and wasting all my time and energy on fucking games instead of focusing on my studies and figuring out what I want to do?

In other words, how2azn?

How do I stop myself from falling into slumps and wasting all my time and energy on fucking games instead of focusing on my studies and figuring out what I want to do?

In other words, how2azn?

That's something you have to ask yourself. Since everyone's life situations are different. Think about where you're going to be when you're 30 and work towards it. spending an hour or so on gaming when you have a steady job is fine, but if you're in school, you could be doing something more productive with that 1 hour.

Man you hit the nail on the head. After playing WGLNA for season 2 and going to the finals in Vegas, this game lost all of its draw. Dealing with all the bullshit from season 2 & 3 on top of this game turning to shit is why I left as soon as season 3 was over and never looked back.

That's something you have to ask yourself. Since everyone's life situations are different. Think about where you're going to be when you're 30 and work towards it. spending an hour or so on gaming when you have a steady job is fine, but if you're in school, you could be doing something more productive with that 1 hour.

Like fapping and watching TV.

In other words, how2azn?

You need to have the willpower to be able to remind yourself of what you could accomplish if you spent your time better.

I struggle to even force myself to wake up every day due to crippling anxiety + depression, and then when i do get up I just want to enjoy my time. Sometimes I give in and play games all day and regret it later; sometimes I go work on a writing project and feel mentally exhausted, but have the satisfaction of knowing I accomplished something. I find a good way to motivate myself is to allow maybe a game or two of WoT after I finish two hours of work, or I'll let myself buy some WoT gold after I've worked X hours toward getting a real job.

The right music also helps a lot. Heywod up there introduced me to EDM last March and I've found that non-vocal trance does wonders for my focus.