Zynth

Looking for a mid-range graphics card

Alright, I'm terrible at hardware stuff, but I know when my graphics card is horribly outdated and need a replacement. However, I am woefully ignorant of current graphic card trends and anything remotely related to it.

So, I come here to present a plea of help: carry my tomato-PC ass and recommend me a graphics card.

My PC specs are as follows:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 CPU 3.30 GHz (Quad core)
  • RAM: 8 GB ram DDR 3
  • GPU: AMD HD 6450 (hey, it's better than an integrated graphics card!)

My price range:

• $200 SGD take or give. (Try not to stray too far off my budget)
  • Or $160 USD
  • Or $130 Euro
  • Or $100 British pounds

I am currently eyeing:

• Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB

What I generally want is a mid-range graphics card that has good value and not woefully inadequate. I'm not super rich so the key feature I am looking for is "value for money". So, is the Nvidia GTX 750 Ti any good? Are there any other graphics cards I should take a look at?

Help at selecting a graphics card will be greatly appreciated.

If your PSU has enough power and a 6/8 pin connector for graphics card, you could try to get a R9 270, sometimes you can get one within your budget constraints, if not then R7 260X is around the same level of performance of a 750 Ti.

If no power connectors at all probably 750 Ti is your only option.

Motherboard/PSU powahhhh is handy to know as well. Nvidia just released the 960 series? What games do you play/want to play?

If your PSU has enough power and a 6/8 pin connector for graphics card, you could try to get a R9 270, sometimes you can get one within your budget constraints, if not then R7 260X is around the same level of performance of a 750 Ti.

If no power connectors at all probably 750 Ti is your only option.

PSU is an Icute 450 W. It -looks- like it has a 4 pin connector.

Although I somehow feel that 450W kinda looks like it is a bit low on the scale of power....

Shoot a picture of the psu specs.  It will probably look like this.  It looks like another of the PSU brands that come and die like the wind.  Claiming a 12V@20A PSU is "450w"  is comical - I have a medium quality 450W Corsair PSU that is rated for 12V@35A.

Buy a new PSU.  This may be adequate, but a gold certified PSU is preferable.  Either option would open mid- and upper- range enthusiast GPUs.

Also, we still need to know:

1) Motherboard

2) Monitor(s) and their resolution.

In Fall '14 I went on eBay and purchased two of the GTX 660 OEM models for sub $200 and in SLI they outperform most of the cards out there now in the $250 range.

I'd recommend a 270 or even a 265.

But you will likely need a new psu.

And the 6450 probably is weaker than integrated gpus. >.>

Picture of my PSU: Icute 450W
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX (Rev 3.0)

Monitor: Lenovo LXH-GJ17L3 LCD Monitor (Some shitty Lenovo monitor manufactured in China in 2006.)

At this rate, I'll end up spending way over my budget buying a new monitor and PSU....

I can't even find any information on the psu. >.>

And replacing the monitor isn't massively important as it's not like it can kill your system. would just have to put up with it's shityness for a bit.

I don't think I can really trust a brand that calls itself "Icute".....

Is my motherboard fine? If it is still bad, I might as well give up and save up a bit more to buy a fresh new computer.

I don't think I can really trust a brand that calls itself "Icute".....

Is my motherboard fine? If it is still bad, I might as well give up and save up a bit more to buy a fresh new computer.

I wouldn't trust a brand with that name either.

and your mobo is good enough for a new gpu.

cpu will be sufficient for a few years I'd say.

and if you got your self a good psu it'd be usable in a new build if you decided to do one in a few years time.

So, PSU and GPU upgrades in required. I'll go snoop around my local tech place and report back when I notice something decent.

I'll still leave this thread up for more suggestions.

After you get a new psu, a GTX660 is still good, and works well. You would probably be able to max WoT at 40fps @1080p (i have a similar system with a 660, but a 3570k that runs WoT maxxed at 60fps @900p)

Dual 20A rails is workable.  I doubt they could actually do 20A, but 10A should be pretty safe.

If you don't want to upgrade from that 1280x1024 monitor, you could grab a R7 260X (~$100) and plod along happily with medium quality graphics.  It's a cheap option, and it would certainly be enough at your current resolution.

However, if you eventually want to move up to a 1080p or 1440p monitor, the new GTX 960 (~$200) would also fit inside your power envelope - that card will remain usable for several years even after a monitor upgrade.

There is also a good middle-road option, which would be to upgrade the PSU and pick up a 7950 refurb or a used 7950 from ebay.  For ~$150 you could get a reliable PSU and a power-hungry graphics card that could handle any single-monitor gaming you can throw at it for at least the next two years.

Here is a one-stop link for comparing those three cards. 

I've been to my local tech place. Here is a phone-quality image of the stuff they have to offer. Prices are in Singapore dollars, check exchanges rates before claiming value. My budget is $200 Singapore dollars, so any card around $200 in the album is fine. I have no idea what my PSU budget is.

Graphics cards on the left, PSUs to the right.

Album

On that budget, the Leadtek GTX 750 2GB is probably the safest bet.  You definitely want the 2GB version.  No need to upgrade your PSU at this time.

On that budget, the Leadtek GTX 750 2GB is probably the safest bet.  You definitely want the 2GB version.  No need to upgrade your PSU at this time.

Thanks mate. If no other suggestions come out, I'll probably end up buying a Leadtek GTX 750 2GB in a few days time.

Cheers.

Haggling is acceptable. I can probably bring the 750ti to a minimum of $215 and perhaps even lower.

You should consider the R7 260x OC - It's priced under 200 and it has the same performance of the GTX 750 Ti (the Nvidia card has the advantage of having a lower PSU requirement). I see an Asus model priced @ 195 Singaporean Dollars. If it came down to a choice between teh R7 260x and the GTX 750 (without the ti!), I'd go with the R7. 

You should consider the R7 270x OC - It's priced under 200 and it has the same performance of the GTX 750 Ti (the Nvidia card has the advantage of having a lower PSU requirement). I see an Asus model priced @ 195 Singaporean Dollars. If it came down to a choice between teh R7 260x and the GTX 750 (without the ti!), I'd go with the R7. 

it's the 260x below the 270x that's 195 :P

it's the 260x below the 270x that's 195 :P

Meant to say 260x rather than 270x :P The 260x still outperforms the GTX 750 non ti version