PumpkinSpiceOctavia_

Changing motherboards (edited)

So based on the responses and some research, I've realized that sandy to haswell isn't worth it. I'm now looking for a replacement mobo for my i7 2600k instead since my intel dp67bg is rather crap and I can't overclock on it.

I have researched a little and saw some that interest me. One is the asus sabertooth z77, another is the asus P8Z77-V Pro, a third is the asrock extreme4.

Frankly I have never done a mobo upgrade so tips will help.

OK so the asus one obviously looks better.

For the things that matter to me.

Asus has a better lan port.

Multi gpu support is basically the same.(i wouldn't' want to run a gpu in a x4 slot)

Gigabyte and msi don't even mention their vrms though i think it'd be safe to say they would all be similar.

sata is basically the same, and usb is the same yet the asus has less on the back panel but more headers.(works out the same but depending on the case asus has less usable)

I would recommend go for the the cheapest or what you think looks better.

ASUS (and sometimes their little cousin ASRock) ususally get their BIOS right, Gigabyte and MSI have been consistently erratic over the years so I won't go for them unless it is a board that already had many user reviews.

ASUS Because it's the cheapest, and it's ASUS. 

unless you need lots of PCI-E lanes or butttons of sata/USB ports, more expensive motherboards usually offer little gain.

I'd take the Asus unless you need more than 5 sata ports.

I've had far better experiences with Asus products than with either of the other vendors.

Personally I dont get why you want to switch from the i7 2600K to the i5-4690k, especially if your 2600K is able to reach 4.8 GHz or more - many can do that btw.

The performance gain wont be great anyway. I d wait till Broadwell/Skylake make it to the market - afaik they should get rid of that retarded power delivery of Haswell CPUs. At least thats what I read. And they ll offer probably some IPC improvements.

All that aside its a toss-up for me between that Asus (better fan controll and Intel Lan port) and the GB board (Debug Led and better audio chip).

According to this article released today

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-01/broadwell-abloesung-skylake-bereits-im-2.-quartal/

Skylake for Desktop will come in the middle of this year, including "K" modells right from the start on the desktop as usuall.

They jump from Sandy to Haswell would give you around 10-18% IPC improvement, but a reduced OC headroom (in most cases).

With an i7 2600K you have all the time in the world. You can even wait to DDR4 prices to drop afterward.

Depending on what you will use it for, wanna spam your computer with extra HDs for more hentai? Pick the gigabyte

Anything else: ASUS

I'm currently on a Gigabyte mobo mainly due to color scheme, but I have absolutely no regrets about it. That said, I'd still go for asus 9/10 times.

And regarding MSI, I'm not sure how much we can trust motherboards made by a company that made this video.

I'm currently on a Gigabyte mobo mainly due to color scheme, but I have absolutely no regrets about it. That said, I'd still go for asus 9/10 times.

And regarding MSI, I'm not sure how much we can trust motherboards made by a company that made this video.

Just... wow.

That HSF mounting looks like a complete pain in the ass. You have to take the board out to remove it?  Is that what AMD is shipping as the stock cooler now?

Just... wow.

That HSF mounting looks like a complete pain in the ass. You have to take the board out to remove it?  Is that what AMD is shipping as the stock cooler now?

it's only am1 and it's to keep costs down as its a low cost platform, and they are just using the same system as Intel does.

but honestly with mine i found it easier to put the mother board in with the cooler attached. and you don't need to remove the mobo to take it off, just pull out the pins and it'll pop off.

Push pins are cancer though.

I've never had an issue with MSI GPUs or mobos, but whoever they put in charge of making videos needs to be summarily executed.

I have a msi hd 6870 twin frozor and the only bad thing i can say about it is that fan bearings got worn out over time and now it produces a rattling noise untill it speeds up, but its ~4 years old so idk.

I've never had an issue with MSI GPUs or mobos, but whoever they put in charge of making videos needs to be summarily executed.

Also this:

Funny thing is that right at the start of the video you can hear she's playing WoT...