Kuroialty

Bring out the inner bully in you - The Mammoth

This is a sort-of guide, sort-of replay showcase to playing the Mammoth tank like the bully that it is.  It is best suited for solo players or players that wish to do their own thing in platoons, though highlights some general good ideas that anyone could use.

THE MAMMOTH (vs. other tanks)

The Mammoth is the best tank of Winter mode.  You can't go wrong playing a Mammoth.  It's the only tank I've played in Winter mode so far, but it's so good that I don't feel I need to try the others out to know how much better the Mammoth is.

The goal of Winter mode, either as a solo player or in platoons, is to hit levels of damage that fulfill missions.  The Mammoth is very good at this because of its enormous health pool, which allows it to stay in the game longer than the other tanks unassisted.  Proper conservation of this health pool while constantly scanning for damage to do should allow you to fulfill the tank-based mission every time and contribute reasonably to the platoon mission.  You can even be reckless and take on an enemy Mammoth head-to-head and still do enough damage to fulfill missions since the health pool is twice the size of the damage benchmark (5000 vs 2500).  No other class is gonna do that (2500 vs 3300 for Bear, 1500 vs 1700 for Fox).

The drawback of the Mammoth compared to other tanks is its shell velocity.  Shells travel so slowly that, even at short distances, they can be somewhat easily dodged.  Aaaaaaaand, that's pretty much the end of where that is a terrible thing, because it's easy to adapt a playstyle where that drawback doesn't matter so much, such as being a bully.  Bully Mammoths stampede into enemy lines to hug Bears and stomp on Foxes where the low shell velocity doesn't matter.  In fact, along with eliminating the disadvantage of slow shells, you also get to exercise the advantage you have of your high health pool, the advantage over Bears of having a turret, and the advantage over Foxes of being heavy enough to deal considerable ramming damage, about thrice to them of what you'll receive back.  Even if you decide not to play like a bully in the moment, you can still use the slowness of the shells to fire at enemies and deal damage to them as you are backed into cover from direct fire or out of position for where other Mammoth shells are set to land.  Mammoths also have an easy time breaking through bricks to get places, at least better than what Bears can do.

Where other classes become dangerous is where you let them do what they want to do.  If you attack Bears head-on, the ratio of DPM to the other tank's health pool is about even for a Mammoth and a Bear (12k Bear DPM vs 5k Mammoth HP, 6k Mammoth DPM vs 2.5k Bear HP).  However, the Bear has a much easier time of hitting targets at a distance and can move out of the way of slow Mammoth shells, so it is likely a Mammoth would lose this engagement.  The solution is not to feed the Bears by attacking them directly, but to instead flank them and climb over their backs and hug them to death.  Foxes are fairly maneuverable.  It is possible for them to do fair chip damage to you while avoiding all your shells if they can just have a little distance apart from you.  Don't let this happen; pursue the Fox or position yourself so that you can't be circled like that.  If you attack Foxes head-on, they always lose, so they instead fight you by proxy by healing a Bear or a Mammoth that goes head-to-head with you.  The Fox heals at the same rate that the Mammoth can deal damage, so the damage dealt by the Mammoth goes mostly wasted.  Instead of submitting to this proxy fight, disengage and reposition yourself to fight the Fox directly, or at least chase it off so that it can't heal.  Man, healing sure is annoying.

HEALING SUCKS

This is a bit of a tangent, but I want to cover my experience of healing in Winter mode.  It sucks.  Some people think healing is this great or necessary thing that allows teams to stay alive longer and thereby have a better chance at doing the damage needed to fulfill missions.  Here's the truth: if you need healing to do the necessary amount of damage for your missions, especially with a Mammoth, then you are bad.  You are not making good decisions to preserve your own life total while also finding opportunities to do the damage you need, which means you either need to flank more from positions where enemy guns aren't pointed or stop rushing in to Bear dens and getting torn to shreds too quickly.  Healing elongates the game, which means you aren't getting into other matches to farm more XP or creds, and it also gives the enemy team an even better opportunity to do damage by farming the bad tankers that keep needing to be healed.  Just look up any >15k damage result on wotreplays and notice how much healing the enemy team does to their teammates that keep putting themselves into lines of fire.

It is a legitimate strategy, and there is a reward for it, and it certainly changes some engagements (tank vs tank + Fox support), but it just overall feels counterproductive.

THE SETUP

You can gear up your Winter mode tanks with equipment and consumables.  I've used Rammer, GLD, Vents since the beginning, but in retrospect, this is just somewhere between two better options.  I could drop the Vents and run a VStab to make sure that my shells flew with more accuracy (option #1), but Mammoth accuracy doesn't really matter either at long range (people just dodge shells) or short range (don't need to aim).  It would cost me a small bit of DPM too.  Instead, what would probably better fit the bully playstyle is to drop the GLD and run a Spall instead (option #2).  That would give me even more protection from ramming that I do so much already.  For consumables, the only things that matter are gasoline and cola, and I use both.  These are costly to use every game, but as long as you play in a platoon and get your missions done, it's affordable.

For crew skills, Mentor is probably most important to get bonus XP from missions for all your non-Commander crew.  For bullying, Controlled Impact and Clutch Braking are extremely useful.  Other useful skills include BiA, Snap Shot, Smooth Ride, and perhaps Adrenaline Rush.  Just about everything else is filler.

THE GAMEPLAY

I'll just fill this section with some short sentences about things I consider when I play my Mammoth, and then I'll link to a bunch of replays that you can watch of me doing those things.

I start my games by going down the 7 line.  Make sure to punch through the bricks where it is only 6 bricks thick instead of 8 bricks thick.  The hope going down the line is that the enemy team will be camped on the 4 line with the Bears sitting in the bushes.  Point your gun down west as you move into the open area on the B/J lines and fire into anything that isn't pointed your way.  Use auto-aim religiously against anything with a clear line of fire.  As they start to turn, head into the enemy spawn and cross over to the bushes to hug any Bears and stomp down any Foxes that are in the back.  Don't hug Foxes or Bears too hard, or else your gun will go so far through them that your shots will fire out from the other side and not connect.  If your team comes down the 1 or 4 line to attack the enemy head-on, support them by firing from the back or the side.  Focus on low targets or chasing off Foxes while using cover to not get killed too fast.  If you reach the B/J line and guns are already pointed your way, get quickly to A/K and work the cover if you have team support.  Otherwise, back off and try to work damage around corners if they chase you.  If enemies are already meeting you on the B/J lines when you break through to the other side, back out or flank around into the 8/9 lines.  Pay attention for opportunities when enemy tanks are poked out far enough from cover that you can manually shoot the tips of their tank for full damage.  If you see enemies breaking through their side of the bricks already, be ready to intercept them head-on as they push through or go around to E8/F8 to flank them.  Always be switching targets to try and maximize damage against what's available.  Rush down and kill or chase off Foxes if the opportunity presents itself and you can get out alive/kill off their last Fox.  Focus down Bears over Mammoths when possible and when Bears aren't pointed your way or there aren't low targets to kill.  Do not feed the Bears.

All replays below have descriptions on their replay pages about how I approached the game.  I will provide shorter descriptions here.

HIGH DAMAGE (>10k) REPLAYS

Game #1: Cut across cap zone to flank Mammoths, poked in and out of cover to conserve health while dealing damage.

Game #2: Went up 4 line and flanked enemy from their spawn, farmed damage against a Mammoth getting healed.

Game #3: Held off Mammoths on 4 line as rest of team flanked through 1 line, then cleaned up several Mammoths on cap.

Game #4: Juiced by lots of healing to do some flanking of the enemy sitting near their base.

Game #5: Ran into too much pressure and had to find cover near the cap zone.  Enemy team ignored me long enough to farm damage from Mammoths on both ends of the field.

Game #6: Other team too stupid/slow to perform an effective flank, but still managed to farm up enough damage anyways from bullying Bears.

Game #7: Lots of diving into the faces of enemy forces to kill and chase off Foxes.

Game #8: Used a path made by an enemy Fox to flank the enemy team.  Lots of Bear hugging and target switching.  The move at the end where I ram the enemy Mammoth to stop them from chasing my teammate is one of my favorites.

TACTICAL DECISIONS REPLAYS

Game #1: Enemy team tries to capfast.  I end up squeezing around several enemy Mammoths to make my way to the cap and reset for my team to get their damage.

Game #2: Enemy intercepts our push up the 7 line.  I look for opportunities to flank and kill Foxes/low targets.  Most accurate representation of my current playstyle in general.

Game #3: Faced down certain death from pushing 7 line alone against enemy advance.  Used cover to stay alive long enough to get my damage.

Game #4: Too much resistance up the 7 line and had to back out, but managed to kill a Fox that poked out too much. o7

Game #5: Decided to chase down isolated Foxes that wanted to pick direct fights with a bully.  One Fox almost got away, but then decided to give me another shot.

GENERAL BULLYING REPLAYS

I didn't set aside any replays for this yet, so I'll come back and add some later.  For now, see game #2 of tactical decisions.

The Mammoth is the best tank of Winter mode.  You can't go wrong playing a Mammoth.  It's the only tank I've played in Winter mode so far, but it's so good that I don't feel I need to try the others out to know how much better the Mammoth is.

This logic though.

I'd like to note that you can FIRE OVER BLOCKS in the Mammoth. If you auto aim on someone from a really far distance (350m+) you can fire over any blocks in front of you (see the 7 or 4 line, works best on the 4 line) and if the pubbies stand still or move marginally, you can hit them. I gained 4k damage like this in one match so it's automatically a gud strat.

Mammoth is good, I'll give you that, but there's nothing like zipping around the enemy's base in an Arctic Fox and then watching the slowpokes try to chase you  :biglaugh:

Or better yet, leading a pack of people in front of your Polar Bears  :ph34r:

I still haven't figured out why pubbies always try to cap base, but yeah, Mammoth> Arctic Fox > Polar bear.

:#

as far as im concerned acrtic fox is just there for "lol im preist guyz, lol outheal mammoth".  

Edit: or maybe for trolling damage quotas if you're an ass? but then you might as well just fastcap/drown yourself.

Edited by Nicook5

:#

as far as im concerned acrtic fox is just there for "lol im preist guyz, lol outheal mammoth".  

Edit: or maybe for trolling damage quotas if you're an ass? but then you might as well just fastcap/drown yourself.

What do you mean trolling damage quotas?  Healing a tank doesn't remove the damage dealt from enemy tank's counter.

Healing can be pretty lulzy if you're playing a pro account, played mam, one person healed me all game while I just scrapped + tracked, 3 polar bears punished. 

It's like the pinnacle of your own team exploiting the OMG GOLD!!111 effect.

I love when mammoths try to bully my polar bear. Their dpm is so shit compared to the bear's; I win those engagements every time, and they have enough hp to finish the mission right there. EZ mode.

Their DPM is half the bear's, but HP is twice as much. It literally comes down to who has more health once you start fighting or who gets the first shot in. Or both. And quite frankly, that's a lot easier with a turret.

What do you mean trolling damage quotas?  Healing a tank doesn't remove the damage dealt from enemy tank's counter.

I meant as opposed to healing/trying to win.  Thought grouping it with fastcapping and drowning made it clear, but I've always had problems with clarity.  Like just take 5 of them, for low hp pool, then mash r and run around without healing.