Solono

Scouting: Where to Start? by TheMarine0341

+10 for the article Marine

About the equipment i dont agree. But especially the skill progression guide was 10 out of 10 stuff

Which equipment in particular?

Don't understand aiming in the third person. Please elaborate?

Hmm... best way to explain is actually through replays. Jacg123 has some of the bestest scout replays, you'll see him use 3rd person a lot there. I'll get a link to his replays and edit this

http://www.twitch.tv/jacg123/c/5497416

His Twitch channel has a ton of fantastic LT videos

Which equipment in particular?

It a matter of taste and opinion. But when I go scouting I put on Binocs and Camo.net :-) when I go "battling" I use the setups you described.

Recently I have liked the versatility of having atleast camonet with me on all light tanks (even T49). T21 carries both binocs and net- its great combo in breaking through enemy light tanks camo rating.

Camo net on light tanks is usually a waste of an equipment slot. As you have the same camo on the move as you do immobile the only time you should be stopping is in environmental camo, at which point your total camo rating is so high you're immune to anything but proxy spotting anyway.

Strana hit it on the head, but I'd like to elaborate a tiny bit.

If you stop and wait for camo net, you need 5 seconds for your camo to pop. If you stop in a bush, you need zero seconds.

This was a great refresher for when i got back into light tanks recently but nothing would have been more helpful than proscout. I'm still pissed that that site is down, and even going through the archived versions, the maps are out of date, provided they even load. I wish there was a site like this for 9.6... anyone?

The youtube TheMarine0341 posted with his article at 3.17 (screengrabbed below) looks like a great xvm config.

Would anyone know who the author is or be able to share the config with me please? Currently using Aslains but I see the benefit in the kind of config shown below.

Screenshot%202015-04-25%2011.09.58.png

Regards from down under.

Started getting some help with configuring markersAliveNormal.xc last night from JOC (PBKAC), but can't seem to pull the Badge/shield icon for the {{squad-num}}...

The youtube TheMarine0341 posted with his article at 3.17 (screengrabbed below) looks like a great xvm config.

Would anyone know who the author is or be able to share the config with me please? Currently using Aslains but I see the benefit in the kind of config shown below.

Screenshot%202015-04-25%2011.09.58.png

Regards from down under.

Started getting some help with configuring markersAliveNormal.xc last night from JOC (PBKAC), but can't seem to pull the Badge/shield icon for the {{squad-num}}...

At that time, I was using my own XVM config!

At that time, I was using my own XVM config!

Great looking config, attempting to learn something so far removed from my working expertise is very challenging. Any chance you would have any backups of those files TheMarine0341?

Just can't get the squad_num in the shield running...

Heres my notes. I havent touched this in a LONG time so I may not be able to interpret them

{{vehicle}}{{turret}} <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font>

Loading/Tab

Left Nick
<font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{nick}}</font>

Right Nick
<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{nick}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font> <font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating}}</font>

Left Vic
{{vehicle}} <font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{t-rating}}</font>

Right Vic
<font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{t-rating}}</font> {{vehicle}}

"formatLeftNick": "

<font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{nick}}</font>

"formatLeftVehicle
<font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{vehicle}}</font> <font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{t-rating}}</font>

"formatRightNick": "<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{nick}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font> <font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating}}</font> ",

"formatRightVehicle": <font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{t-rating}}</font> <font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{vehicle}}</font>

Panel 2

<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{vehicle}}</font>

<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{vehicle}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font>

<font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font>

<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{name}}</font>

<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{name}}</font> <font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}}</font>

<font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating}}</font>

<font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{vehicle}}</font> <font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{t-rating}}</font>

<font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{t-rating}}</font> <font color='{{c:t-rating}}'>{{vehicle}}</font>

heres my notes

Thank you Sir for taking the time to dig that up and really enjoyed the guide, great help.

I usually like Auto Fire Extinguishers on my scouts. Scouts usually don't need the extra engine power.

Some really benefit from food though. So saving up and buying when it goes half off can be a good idea.

I pretty much always run food on my ELC.

This is a good guide and it's kind of old, but there are a few further points I'd like to add, as well a couple of points of contention.  First, I'd like to give credit to PhantomAngel for putting me on the path to effective scouting and drilling me on a lot of these ideas; in the old days, I saw him single-handedly win countless tier 10 CWs battles for us in his T-50-2 without firing a shot.  Getting started, there are two things to always keep in mind; everything else is derived from these ideas.

To reiterate one of the biggest blunders I see in scouts, binocs/net is for a very specialized style of scouting that is not very adaptable.  In most cases, binocs/net is only useful on certain maps where you have a specific bush that you intend to use.  This bush will be relatively close to passing enemy tanks (if it's not, you won't need a net), but not so close that they are likely to proxy light you (in which case the extra weight of a net slows you down, and actually makes you more likely to die as you try to escape, due to your slower acceleration).  Mobility is life.

When you are devoting a tank to the role of scouting, kiss your WN8 goodbye.  WG's lack of published spotting statistics is widely regarded to be one of the biggest flaws in using WN8 as the sole determiner of a player's value.  Successfully spotting for over 5k damage in a single match will almost always give you a win, but you will probably not do very much damage or kill very many tanks.  I've made my peace with that, but I've seen a lot of scouts throw their lives away and, consequently, the entire match, because they wanted to get more damage or more kills.  You are not in the match for your gun, you are there to enable the other guns on your team to fire.

Keeping those two things in mind, here are some finer points to help you achieve victory:

-A scout that is not moving is a scout we'll soon be losing.  Passive scouting is only useful for a small portion of any map.  Yes, sometimes that small portion is a vital point that needs to be lit, but, for most maps, if you are a competent scout, you will have to take responsibility for lighting a larger portion of the map than you can see from any single bush.  Mobility, made possible in part by maintaining your camo rating while moving, is your greatest asset; use it.  You do not have a very large HP pool and it's important to save your HP, so you need to make yourself as difficult to hit as possible.  To be an effective scout, you have to be operating at the front line, but you can't do that while you're dead.  Keep moving to stay alive.

-Straight lines are a crime, that's why we move serpentine.  Never move predictably; that's when you get hit.  Every time you are lit, or think you might have been lit, change course immediately.  Try to plan your scouting passes in advance in such a way as to minimize your exposure to the possibility of enemy fire and to give yourself an escape vector that doesn't allow enemies to hit you.  Always keep in mind that, if you are doing your job correctly, you will oftentimes be the only tank on your team that is lit, so arty will very likely be trying to target you.  By changing direction frequently, it is very difficult for arty to successfully anticipate your movement in order to hit you.  It's okay if you don't light an enemy on every pass, you can always go deeper on your next pass, if you choose.

-Know when you are not needed.  When the forces of each team have made contact with each other and your battle tanks are lighting the enemies they need to shoot, you're no longer needed in that battle sector.  Disengage, go dark, and shift to another area.  Smart enemies will see that their forces are engaged elsewhere and begin to probe or move to flank your team.  Keep tabs on the rest of the map so that your team doesn't get surprised by an unseen push elsewhere.  Maybe the main engagement is what will allow you to make a play for their arty, finish off a heavily damaged tank, or capture their base.  There's always something that you can be doing to make yourself useful, so don't hang around in areas where you aren't being useful.

-Don't light more than your team can chew.  Lighting a single enemy at a time forces your team to focus fire and helps them to eliminate targets faster.  Furthermore, lighting more than a max of 2 or 3 targets at once probably means that you have overcommitted and are exposing yourself to way too much enemy fire.  Your team doesn't need more than one target to fire at any given time and it's not worth dying to give them more than that.  Additionally, lighting targets that are beyond your teammates' draw distance doesn't help.  If you can get your team to advance to where they can shoot those targets, great!  But, again, it's not worth dying to spot targets that aren't being shot.

-You are not in the battle for arty.  Yes, friendly artillery certainly has a need for vision, but your purpose is to provide intel and lights for your entire team, not just the arty.  Never suicide just so that your arty can fire one shot that will probably miss anyway.  Additionally, you aren't in the battle to hunt down the enemy arty, either.  Yes, hunting arty is something that you can (and should) do when the opportunity presents itself, but driving through a crossfire of higher-tiered enemies for a chance at killing their arty very rarely pays off and isn't worth your team losing its eyes.  Most importantly, don't assume that you're useless in a game that has no arty.  Other tanks, particularly TDs, benefit greatly from having scouts light targets for them.

-Never stand and fight.  I feel like this is a point that should be completely obvious, but I see more scouts die pointlessly than any other class in the game.  You have a gun that will almost never penetrate any enemy in the front armor, your own armor is nearly non-existent, and you have the lowest number of hit points on the field.  You simply cannot afford to engage enemy tanks (especially heavies!) in a head-on confrontation.  Your strengths are camo, view range, and mobility.  If the enemy is advancing, you should see them before they see you.  Take that opportunity to run away.  If you have fire support, then, by all means, pace your retreat so that you keep the enemy lit as they advance, but you simply cannot stop a push by yourself, so don't try.

-Lastly (and I disagree with Marine on this point), the most important points in the battle for a scout are the very beginning and the end.  At the beginning of the battle, it is good to go on a somewhat aggressive scouting run to let your team know how and where the enemy team is committing their tanks.  Intel and lights you provide in the first minute of the match can, oftentimes, give your team an advantage that the enemy is never able to overcome.  After that, you need to play closer to your team if you're trying to provide targets for them, or steadily retreating on your team's weak flank to keep tabs on the enemy advance over there.  During the mid-game, you still have one or both of those jobs to do, but you need to be doing it safely to conserve your hit points for the end-game.  If you maintain a high pool of HP until the end, you are much more capable of cleaning up damaged enemies and their arty when the map has cleared up and you have more room to maneuver.  So, in short, get what early lights you can safely and make sure you stay alive until the end of the game, when your gun starts to mean more.

I guess this post is almost a scout guide of its own, but here it is.

Hmm Will has done a good job, but it would be awesome if he could update this to current version of maps... you know, they removed many bushes...