JunkersHiryu

My Opinion On The Real Scourge of WoT

The world of tanks playerbase is not nearly as bad as many other playerbases. We have our points when we rag on each other, but there is also a lot of times when people help each other. If you look for the bad of course it will be bad.

The player base is shit in literally every game. This has to do with the fact that a ton of people online are assholes anyways...

Welcome to playing vidya games?

Are you saying anonymity makes people behave worse then they would otherwise? That has nothing to do with what i was actually talking about in this video.... BUT i do agree with you completely. The rest of the video I cut off touched on that as well. 

Is it spiraling backwards?

I think one of the things that hurts the game is more and more zone type funnel maps that don’t really promote tactics or strengths/weakness of the tanks.

Is it spiraling backwards?

I think one of the things that hurts the game is more and more zone type funnel maps that don’t really promote tactics or strengths/weakness of the tanks.

COD is the same way, check the heat maps. Firefights tend to happen in the same locations game after game after game. It keeps things fast paced.... or so they were hoping. But that doesn't necessarily break the game it just makes it repetitive and stagnant. Both can be dealt with by adjusting YOUR play style; thus changing the Meta if you will.

As an XVM user, I agree that it can be the single most demoralizing aspect of WoT.  Here's a shot from a game I was in yesterday while grinding my AMX 13 75.

horror_zps101b7c0e.png

Before I'm even completely loaded in, my face and palm have met with great force.  I'm a light tank in a game full of teammates who obviously have no grasp of core mechanics, and my attempts to illuminate targets for them will probably be wasted and result in my death.  And that's what happened in this Winterberg game...most of the team back-lined and weren't within draw distance of the targets I was spotting.  Because I was already frustrated with what XVM had showed me, I ended up over-extending like an ass and getting myself killed.

Would the result have been any different if I wasn't running XVM?  Probably not.  Would I have started the game feeling a mix of anger and resignation that ultimately led to me playing ineffectively?  Definitely not.  Still, I can't manage to make myself turn off the stat component, and I don't really know why.

Random battles are not fun atm because of Individual Missions. With people being exceptionally retarded, it's harder to achieve super high win rates as there is more randomness introduced into the system. Randomness is bad for good players because it's a force that pulls winrate closer to average, i.e. it pushes everyone's winrate closer to the 50% mark. This randomness is compounded by having a large surplus of arty players ever since Individual Missions came out. With more arty, there is just a higher likelihood you have a shit game because of it - particularly if you're playing from a purple account or a sheriff account. These 2 main reasons - both caused by IMs - just make random battles completely not fun at the moment.

So ok, I won't play random battles. Let's do something team oriented. Except no1 at all wants to do anything but weekly skirmishes. Weekly skirmishes have single-handedly killed silver league. Silver league in particular because that's approximately the level you need to be earning 10k/week consistently from skirmish. So why would anyone in their right mind commit the time to practice and to a 3 month league season when they can earn 2-3x as much gold on a weekly basis just by beating up on retards? This rings particularly true for the silver league competitors that practically have no chance of making it to the gold league - what is the point if they will just continue to stay in silver? This is essentially the reason behind the insanely high silver league attrition rate 2 seasons in a row. All the average to bad teams pretty much just quit because there's no hope of making it to gold league, and there's no point to staying in silver with such low gold payouts.

Weekly skirmishes have also pretty much killed CW, because anyone in reasonably good clans can make 5k+ gold per in skirmish, which is at least double (usually at lot more) of what any top clan is willing to pay on a weekly basis.  Even -G- who happily sits on 17k gold per day is not paying more than ~2k per week to the average active soldier. So why bother doing clan stuff anyways, really?

And so, looking to do team-based activities ends up with doing weekly skirmishes, which are completely not fun because it's just beating up on retards for mad gold. There's no adversity at all.

XVM is just a catalyst for lazy or incompetent players to ruin the game. In terms of volume of games being ruined, I still think arty easily comes out on top. XVM may change how people play sometimes, but arty has the capacity to strongly distort the way people play almost every time, to the point where the game is just boring. If there is any more than 1 enemy arty in a battle, you know it's going to be some blend of boring and frustrating, and since there has apparently been a lot of clickers since the missions came out, you can expect most games to be ruined. I will definitely not come back just so I can be randomly clicked to death in half my battles, and I will definitely not come back just to hide from arty.

I'll put it this way, I own one arty, but I don't use XVM any more. 

I picked up Warthunder recently (non prem) and have just knocking out arcade battles (just planes so far). It really reminded me of when I first picked up WoT and just loved figuring out the game without knowing a thing about stats or anything. In WoT I had no idea about looking up winrates for my first 4-5k battles or so, just focused on the right spots in the battles for my tanks and being in the right spot at the right time and didn't take it too seriously.  And you know what, it's a lot of fun to play that way!

I still like WoT, though I don't really play as much as I used to, but all the stats, colors, what you "should" be doing etc. just eroded some of the fun for me.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I remember loading into a game with a team full of reds and just instantly stressing out- or, conversely, loading into a good team, checking out...and then losing and somewhere it just lost that fun, in-the-moment edge that I am remembering now that I am derping around with WT with no pressures at all.  Objectively, WoT is a better game I think, but at least for the moment something's been lost.  My favorite thing in WoT is running games and hanging out on TS with the good dudes I tank with, not as much the game itself. 

And so, looking to do team-based activities ends up with doing weekly skirmishes, which are completely not fun because it's just beating up on retards for mad gold. There's no adversity at all.

I'm at a mediocre enough skill level that skirmishes are still relatively fun(usually), but as someone in EST, that works relatively early, it really starts to hurt when all the WG scheduling is done to cater to PST @_@

Random battles are not fun atm because of Individual Missions. With people being exceptionally retarded, it's harder to achieve super high win rates as there is more randomness introduced into the system. Randomness is bad for good players because it's a force that pulls winrate closer to average, i.e. it pushes everyone's winrate closer to the 50% mark. This randomness is compounded by having a large surplus of arty players ever since Individual Missions came out. With more arty, there is just a higher likelihood you have a shit game because of it - particularly if you're playing from a purple account or a sheriff account. These 2 main reasons - both caused by IMs - just make random battles completely not fun at the moment.

Random battles aren't fun because of IMs; random battles were never fun because of XVM/WR/Eff/WNx. Playing random battles has always been a chore (much less so now since it's so much easier to play without TDs camping base every game) because people care so much about "muh stats" in this community. Ik a lot of people taking a break from WoT now because they say they don't like IMs, but what they're really saying is that they don't want to risk their WR/WN8 ratings on random losing streaks or whatnot. It's always the non-stop padding that makes this game not fun.

That's not saying measuring a player's skill is bad, but trying to measure a player's skill in a mode designed to not be competitive (15vs15 with no team communication + battle tier difference + no equal skill distribution) is hilarious if you really think about it. It's as if people went to CSGO and gave ranks to people based on "Classic Casual" while ignoring "Classic Competitive".

XVM is just a catalyst for lazy or incompetent players to ruin the game. In terms of volume of games being ruined, I still think arty easily comes out on top. XVM may change how people play sometimes, but arty has the capacity to strongly distort the way people play almost every time, to the point where the game is just boring. If there is any more than 1 enemy arty in a battle, you know it's going to be some blend of boring and frustrating, and since there has apparently been a lot of clickers since the missions came out, you can expect most games to be ruined. I will definitely not come back just so I can be randomly clicked to death in half my battles, and I will definitely not come back just to hide from arty.

If you run xvm it doesn't only change how you play "sometimes".  Featuring its main point, choosing engagements/deployments by also adding wn8/wr into the equation.  

The way I think of arty (borrowing kewei's thoughts (I think)) is that you still need to get shit done anyways.  If there's only a couple arty fuck it and don't go hump rocks like a bish.  Although I mostly play tiers 7-9 (not 10) so I don't deal with too many of the super cancers.  Don't give in to the terrorists, don't let them change how you live man.

Personally I've went XVM/modless since the minimap update and for the most part think it has had a positive effect.  No game has felt unwinnable from the start.  You can still point out the most competent players based on name/clan tag, but you don't have to stare at turboshitters loading in and wonder how many will make it out of cap.  I actually still did that "purple plat r in my team better do whatever lol" once, but I'm also suffering from personal mission cancer (I don't think it's affect is as bad as most people think).  At least the missions don't really reward camping, and people chilling on their asses is my least favorite thing ever.  At least the campers are getting involved, now they just need to learn where they can drive forward without getting Holocaust.

I don't think xvm is as big of a deal as you make it tho, dunno if anyone has numbers on how many players actually use it.  be kinda neat to know what the proportion is.

Personal mission rant anecdote.  Had a wz111 in my game QQing constantly about how the last heavy tank mission was IMPOSSISBRU.  proceed to watchi him camp on the north redshire TD hill in his top tier heavy.  Ask him how he expects to collect damage deflected and dealt being a redline bitch.  As far as I'm concerned this is an edge case though. (I'm willing to bet he was some 50%er who just discovered xvm).

l wonder how long it will take before we all quit wot...or stop playing it like we do now.

Tbh, all it would take for me is for some of the regulars I like hanging out with on TS switching permanently to another game I enjoy. We'll see if AW is that game.

I agree with all those points you made. Arty is something one can counter by simply knowing how it works and making the proper maneuvers to avoid it. XVM is totally different because you as a player cannot do anything to prevent people from using it. I turned off the stats a while ago and can say with certainty that I've been having more fun and I haven't been raging at pubbies as much.

I probably wouldn't play this game anymore if it wasn't for the social aspect. It was fun not knowing about stats and all but now it's just about focusing on winning, WN8, or any other aspect, etc. It would be nice to truly "play for fun" again sometimes. IM's and subsequent arty increases don't help either. XVM is useful for confirming what is already suspected most of the time. With the minimap stuff as part of the game now there's no need for it. Let's not forget WG making consistently smarter decisions (2 versions of the 183 is fun right?) 

Edit: Lack of good CW fights, skirmishes being a better alternative than almost anything else, and more cash grab tanks. RNG helps people the same as every other pubbie when it evens out but reduction to +/-20% would be nice. 

Most fun I've had recently has been HE Waffle and triple arty platoons on a friend's account. 

for me it's the pure randomness of matchmaking. matches snowball so hard and stomps with less than 5 deaths on the winning team happen way too often. honestly doesnt even matter which side you are on, it's just so boring.

also it's no fun to farm 44% WR shitlords, getting farmed by purple platoons isn't either but those rarely happen on EU.

personally I wish this game could use some skill based matchmaking and division system like moba's do but that has been discussed enough on wotlabs i guess.