Zezti

St. Emil - I've never struggled so much

So with the recent news that WG are planning on changing out the WTE100 at some point in the future, I decided I best get my Nashorn on and start the grind to the beast. I at least want to experience it myself before it goes. Plus, Borsig and WTauf IV aren't bad tanks anyway. I was halfway through the Nashorn > St. Emil before today and a couple hours ago moved up to the St. Emil...

First, it must have the biggest and toughest stock grind in tier 7 (That's a guess, cba to check). I've got 41k free exp stocked up which I was hoping to save for M103 but I've never struggled so much to do anything in a tank. It's a struggle to break even on HP/Dmg even in top tier games. 

It's big, low top speed, bad traverse, no armour and the stock gun is APCR or nothing when it comes to most tier 8+ tanks. If its paper armour wasn't bad enough, open top means arty players salivate uncontrollably whenever I get spotted... Bye life...

Seriously though, what I am to do with this thing? 15° of gun depression yet no superstructure armour to make use of it relegates it to bushes. 

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that if I use all my free xp to get the gun, its still 71k until the damn borsig.  :tongue:

If you want honest opinion, i'd say quit the line. I did, on Waffle PzIV. Whole line, at least for me is extremly boring and annoying to play. They have great guns and great damage farming potential, but they also require passive playstyle(camping a lot) which i couldn't stand anymore. TDs in general are getting fucked more and more with the changes(9.6 view range nerf) and dumbed down maps where you can't play camo/vision games anymore. I used to play TDs a LOT and i quit playing them several months ago and switched to mediums/heavies. They are much more fun if you like to play aggressively. That's my honest opinion. Other than that i can't really think of any other advice since the tank itself is quite shitty.

I've played it early on today, I bought it like months ago never bothered to train my Nashorn crew to the St.Emil because I know it would suck.

I think I have a 0% WR, I don't like it, we started badly. I'm not gonna waste my time playing it stock, it's pointless, WG made it this bad so that you spend gold on your free exp for that gun which only gives a turd some makeup.

When I have way too much free time and free exp, I'll consider playing with the 12,8cm.

To make things worse, all my games today were Tier 9, because fuck you right?.

Torenico, that's exactly the same experience I've had. 

I'm on like 10 games played with 1 single win, its so hard to force myself to push the 'Battle' button.

Can't remember where I saw it, but someone said the St. Emil has the worst win rate of all tanks in the game. Not sure how true that is but I can certainly believe it.

I just made myself get through it during the on track. When you spawn go to the closest hull down on the map, because its to slow to go far away from cap if you need a reset. Also to slow to get anywhere useful in time to not get caught in the open. The RHM and the WT are pretty good, but I wouldn't waste my time on the 15cm guns for them if I had to go through them again.

It's WG's way of making people quite WoT.

I for one won't be spending another cent on WG and almost wish I'd never bought any premium tanks, premium time was overpriced enough and WG's functionally abandoning the game now that competition's coming because they don't have the balls to man up and face AW head-on. Oh well, they ain't gonna get any more of my money with how they've been pandering to the lowest pubbies, which means Tetris or whatever that was called (incidentally, in Chinese, it's translated as "Russian Blocks") is a certain loss within the first 10 pieces.

However, I do note that with the top gun the tank is glorious as long as the map rotation has Westfield in it, or any other peekaboom map with plenty of hills. Even Murovanka can work.

With the top gun it is a pretty nice tank. As long as you are hull down

The problem with hull down in the St E is that it has a lot of superstructure above the gun, so people just slap you and pull back before you get the chance to unload. The tank is garbage and I don't miss it.

I got this tank on Sunday and so far I'm finding it decent, stock gun isn't at all bad if you don't mind shooting gold. Gasoline consumable makes it a little less sluggish so I'm using that instead of extinguisher.

It does require very good knowledge of firing lanes and a little bit of luck predicting how the match will flow because if you need to move mid/late game might as well drown yourself.

I am also currently doing the Sturer grind and I just got the top gun. Only used 5k free XP (I really got bored of that long grind on a T7). The top gun really does make the take a lot better, but given sensible APCR use the stock gun is also nice.
That being said there is only one way to enjoy the Sturer Emil: Do not think about winning, damage, WN8 or anything with this machine, concentrate on finding the best rige to hump and laugh at enemies that did not expect enyone to be able to shoot them from that spot without exposing themselves like morons. If you just focus on gun depression abuse this tank is really funny (you are possibly the only TD that can base camp Komarin without dying horribly due to gun depression related over exposure. Even US tanks cant hump that particular ridge in the south base anymore).

If you want carry hard play something else.

That said I only do doubles in it as its play style isn't exactly enthralling.

Sorry for gravedigging, but St. Emil really isn't that bad tank with the second gun and -15 depression that allows you to abuse it hard, it's quite painfull to play with the first gun, but i learned so much about positioning, evading arty shots and peek-a-boo tactics in it that i was actually sad when i had to sell it to buy a RHM Borsig which i like really much, but some of the best and funniest games in my career were played in St. Emil. I was actually improving my stats in it because i got used to it with the second gun, knew when to charge, hide, shoot or wait etc etc.

Most of you will think that i'm crazy, but with the second gun this thing actually earns you a lot of credits for a tier VII tank that has expensive shells, you just have to make them count...

Also got my TD 15 in it, had to ambush and chase heavies in the town, unfortunatelly missed the VK with the second shot and he got me.

shot701.jpg

The ONLY good feature about the tank is that gun depression. You literally have nothing else to work with at all. The Nashorn was the gem of the line imo, I couldn't make the borsig work and be fun, and it shows in my win rate.

I was looking exactly for a thread like this. It's too early for me to speak properly as I don't have the top gun yet, but I'm struggling a lot with this tank and the fact that I'm not the only one and that there are better players than me which have the same types of problems I'm having kinda makes me feel a little better.

Still I don't know what to do, my wr with this tank is the worst of all thanks I've played and I'm not having fun. I don't mind camping sometimes, that why I'm grinding this line, and I can stand tanks with issues (I'm enjoying the T28 Proto) but this just makes me feel useless. Btw I checked and the tank with the worst wr (amongst the tier from 5 to 10) is the Nashorn, St Emil is second and the Pz.Sfl is fourth. Damn the Curchill GC, they could have all the podium...

Anyway I'm glad that many said that with the second gun it gets better. I think I'll use some free xp or abuse the apcr to unlock the 12.5 soon and give it another chance without thinking at the stats and just try to make it a bearable experience...

It was a tough line for me:

47% Pz.Sfl. IVc

52% Nashorn (kinda like this one)

49% Emil

I used free xp on modules, but ground out the tanks.  And I did it solo because I didn't want to subject anyone to Emil platoons.

Never let something like needing to decap stop you from going to an important starting location in the Emil.  

You have GOT to get your gun into the game early, because you probably can't win if your team gets behind, and if the team wins without you, you won't get any damage.  

So far, the Borsig is fun, and my stopping point in the line.  

That tank really is a struggle. It's like playing a borsig except go hull-down behind a hill instead of finding a depression. The borsig is better in every way too which is the sad part. Reload is better, camo is better, silhouette is better, you even get a choice between guns.

I feel you. Nash and Emil were hard enough before the VR nerfs. Big, low camo, meh mobility, basically HE and Arty bait. I had some good sessions with the depression of the Sturer going with the heavy push to a hilly area and shotgunning fools with that incredible gun. 

I had some good sessions with the depression of the Sturer going with the heavy push to a hilly area and shotgunning fools with that incredible gun. 

I had good games.  I feel like I would have remembered a good session if it had ever happened.  

Today I got the Borsig after spending 110k total free xp on the shitty emil. My final stats:

19 played

42% wins

595 avg xp

1729 WN8

1 confederate medal

What a nightmare. I've never been so glad to sell a tank before. My condolences to anyone trying to grind it without free xp.

Borsig is so good though. The turret is lovely.

The entire line is not worth it.

The tanks themselves are not bad and I kinda enjoyed Emil, Rhoomba and WT iv but as said before, the passive playstyle is a problem unless you are a camper anyway, in which case f*ck you. In these tanks, you perform better if you farm damage off the back of your team; while everyone dies, you sit in your stupid bush next to the red line and rack up damage. Of course you can play those tanks as assault tanks but seriously, why bother. Eventually, you are at the mercy of your team leading a push and all you can do is duck behind hard cover and pray for arty being stupid. It works but neither way allows you to carry in the way a normal tank or even some other TDs can.

The guns on these tanks from the Rhoomba on are among the best in tier but the platforms are just too annoying.

There are other, more fun TD lines with better tanks per tier and way more fun factor, e.g. the JP line or the E4 line.

The entire line is not worth it.

The tanks themselves are not bad and I kinda enjoyed Emil, Rhoomba and WT iv but as said before, the passive playstyle is a problem unless you are a camper anyway, in which case f*ck you. In these tanks, you perform better if you farm damage off the back of your team; while everyone dies, you sit in your stupid bush next to the red line and rack up damage. Of course you can play those tanks as assault tanks but seriously, why bother. Eventually, you are at the mercy of your team leading a push and all you can do is duck behind hard cover and pray for arty being stupid. It works but neither way allows you to carry in the way a normal tank or even some other TDs can.

The guns on these tanks from the Rhoomba on are among the best in tier but the platforms are just too annoying.

There are other, more fun TD lines with better tanks per tier and way more fun factor, e.g. the JP line or the E4 line.

From the Borsig, if you are still playing it passively, you are playing it wrong IMO. 128mm Borsig and WtPz4 are great for offensive vision war with Binocular and if you reverse the WtPz4 into a bush, after a shot it can get off faster than most MT can reverse out. 150mm Borsig can stick to the HTs and sneak a few 750-damage shots into the enemy HTs while they are reloading, turning the tide of the battle.

From the Borsig, if you are still playing it passively, you are playing it wrong IMO. 128mm Borsig and WtPz4 are great for offensive vision war with Binocular and if you reverse the WtPz4 into a bush, after a shot it can get off faster than most MT can reverse out. 150mm Borsig can stick to the HTs and sneak a few 750-damage shots into the enemy HTs while they are reloading, turning the tide of the battle.

I don't say you should play passively, I just say they work better if you do - that's why I dislike the tanks' concept, it promotes camping. I did not play them passively at all, instead, I usually went to the most forward position possible where I still had hard cover or a quick way out, e.g. B2/C2 on El Hallouf or E4-E6 on Prokhorovka even in games with several artilleries because I am fairly confident in dodging incoming fire. However, I could've gotten more damage if I had been sitting in a bush, hidden and farming damage at the cost of winning.

I know that you can sit in a forward bush and when someone is spotted, fire and quickly get to safety. The thing is that this is not enough to carry games against the odds - to win, you not only have to deal damage but also to negate the damage potential of enemy guns, e.g. by bouncing their shots or by scaring them away, like the Jagdtiger, the T30, the E 50 or the E75 can. Neither WT Pz. IV nor Rhm can handle getting shot at and that's why they are decent tanks but not great and that's why passive play (the thing you call offensive vision war - a euphemism in my eyes) is the only thing they are really good at.

St.Emil is workable with the top gun, free XP that if you can't bear the stock gun. Chassis is still junk but 231 pen and 490 alpha at T7 is no joke, if you also abuse your gun depression as much as possible you can absolutely wreck people.

The WT Pz IV. is probably the best tank in the line, with the turret, speed and ok-ish HP it can play a bit like a medium and doesn't always have to redline camp, although it also got hit quite hard by multiple nerfs and map changes.