Zezti

St. Emil - I've never struggled so much

I don't say you should play passively, I just say they work better if you do - that's why I dislike the tanks' concept, it promotes camping. I did not play them passively at all, instead, I usually went to the most forward position possible where I still had hard cover or a quick way out, e.g. B2/C2 on El Hallouf or E4-E6 on Prokhorovka even in games with several artilleries because I am fairly confident in dodging incoming fire. However, I could've gotten more damage if I had been sitting in a bush, hidden and farming damage at the cost of winning.

I know that you can sit in a forward bush and when someone is spotted, fire and quickly get to safety. The thing is that this is not enough to carry games against the odds - to win, you not only have to deal damage but also to negate the damage potential of enemy guns, e.g. by bouncing their shots or by scaring them away, like the Jagdtiger, the T30, the E 50 or the E75 can. Neither WT Pz. IV nor Rhm can handle getting shot at and that's why they are decent tanks but not great and that's why passive play (the thing you call offensive vision war - a euphemism in my eyes) is the only thing they are really good at.

1. Not really, playing passive only pays off against potatoes. Just so you know, my playstyle is basically I would take a forward position (middle of Fisherman to compete with MT/LT, F line on Ruinberg to watch the E line for movements). If they decide to trade damage, with a huge gun I'm confident most of the time to come out on top. From there I maintain vision control over a wide area and basically just clicking slower tanks moving into position. Timing is an important factor here of course.

2. Yes, both Borsig and WtPz4 are TD, they are by default excellent at scaring the enemies away by their alpha. And what do you mean by cannot getting shot at, I think trading one of their shot for one of yours + the fear factor is a very favorable trade in the beginning, making that bush yours. From there, they will impact the game by either shooting or simply spotting.

I personally find the Emil an amazing tank (with the upgraded gun, used free xp) and I got a Kolobanov's Medal with the tank! I only had the tank two days before moving on to the Borsig, love the line.

Still my 4th highest tank by WN8 even though it's been four months I quit playing it and my recent shot from green to blue in that period of time.

In fact the last third or so of the grind I was consistently getting purple games in it, if it weren't so unberably slow and painful to drive I'd have kept it for padding. Literally 3 penetrations and a frag = purple wn8

Believe it or not I got 2k avg WN8 and a 65% win rate in the sturrer and 80% of the games were played with the stock gun (spamming some gold on ocassion)

However I have almost 500 games played in my dickermax and it basically plays the same. Once you've learned how to play the tank to it's strenghts, it is not that bad, but it is a steep learning curve. I had a 34% WR in my first 150 games in the dickermax for instance.

Basically just pick a flanck that has the most ridges and ondulations and go forward (you rarely win games staying 50 meters from your cap, and when you do it wasn't because your contribution). Once enemy is in sight, stick your gun over a ridge and start to make them dance :) shoot, roll back in cover, reload, repeat the process

With the top gun, it is almost OP  :tongue:  490 alpha at tier 7 with 230sh pen is not to play with. I am kidding. The tank is bad, but if you play it to it's strenghts you can make it work. Also good for stat paddlers, because expected walues for the tank are very low with people not knowing how to play it.

Same for me. I have overall 58% win rate and 2.2k WN8. St. Emil is my worst tank with only 40% win rate. I don't have a premium account. so it was an extremely painful grind.

Absolutely hated this tank!

So I decided to start the on track challenge EU thing, since the whole line is discounted and I can train up a crew (I have 4 skill dudes in the 8.8 but I guess I want a crew for both TD trees)

Anyway had a few games in the St. Emil. Still stock but the tank isn't that horrible as everyone says it is.

Maybe the meta has changed a bit or something? I even still have the stock gun (of course spamming a bit of gold when I meet Tier 8-9 heavies)

But I'm getting okay-ish damage game (for a stock tank) - it feels like there are a lot of soft targets running around, just begging to get shot in the sides (and 300 dmg is a nice upgrade to the Nashorns 240 - not a huge difference but noticeable)

The cons of the tank are still there - low mobility, small g(f)un arc, soft armour and no ability to carry (you HAVE to kemp bush).

On thing I hope is that with the top gun the tank might actually manage to play a peek-a-boom role - crest the ridge, derp out a round using the insane gun depression and go back for a reload.

Though I'm not sure. I'll comment more when I get the top gun researched (hopefully tonight)

5 minutes ago, Bastor said:

So I decided to start the on track challenge EU thing, since the whole line is discounted and I can train up a crew (I have 4 skill dudes in the 8.8 but I guess I want a crew for both TD trees)

Anyway had a few games in the St. Emil. Still stock but the tank isn't that horrible as everyone says it is.

Maybe the meta has changed a bit or something? I even still have the stock gun (of course spamming a bit of gold when I meet Tier 8-9 heavies)

But I'm getting okay-ish damage game (for a stock tank) - it feels like there are a lot of soft targets running around, just begging to get shot in the sides (and 300 dmg is a nice upgrade to the Nashorns 240 - not a huge difference but noticeable)

The cons of the tank are still there - low mobility, small g(f)un arc, soft armour and no ability to carry (you HAVE to kemp bush).

On thing I hope is that with the top gun the tank might actually manage to play a peek-a-boom role - crest the ridge, derp out a round using the insane gun depression and go back for a reload.

Though I'm not sure. I'll comment more when I get the top gun researched (hopefully tonight)

It's kind of slow and the HP/t too anaemic to pull off vertical peekabooms in a lot of situations. If the enemy has quick-aiming guns/ with good bloom you are fucked.

The camo is also amazing shit in the Sturer Emil. If you fire (and sometimes not even then), you WILL be lit and if you don't have somewhere to hide - eg. the reverse slope of a hill - then you'll be playing your next x2 very quickly.

Only about 10 battles in it (used free xp to unlock everything on it, so was upgraded from the get-go) and so far the only pleasant experience in this thing is bitch-slapping Tier 5s & 6s with the 128mm, especially in the side and watch their ammo rack randomly go pop.

However, my first fight in it was on Stalincrap. And the 2nd fight in it. Not a pleasant journey start, at all.

Man, this one is painful. Terrible gun arc, terrible bloom numbers, terrible mobility, huge profile and no camo, no gold round because ??? reasons, paper armor HE and arty bait. The only redeeming quality is the sick shooting sound effect and 500 damage that melts from the target's HP bar on the rare occasion a shot actually lands. This is one of those tanks that is actually baffling... why is it even this bad? It's like they just decide to make some tanks unplayable.

EDIT: upgrading to swear words. Fuck this tank.

I pick this tank up every couple years to see how it feels, just because in theory having a big gun and big pen makes me big happy. I guess I'm a size queen. It always finds its way out of my garage within a few hours. Today wasn't any different.

WG should give this the E 100 treatment and let it have 560 alpha. Right now it's a worse SU-100Y. Like, actually worse, not tier-for-tier. They won't. But they should!

3 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I pick this tank up every couple years to see how it feels, just because in theory having a big gun and big pen makes me big happy. I guess I'm a size queen. It always finds its way out of my garage within a few hours. Today wasn't any different.

WG should give this the E 100 treatment and let it have 560 alpha. Right now it's a worse SU-100Y. Like, actually worse, not tier-for-tier. They won't. But they should!

When they added this line, i looked forward to playing the Nashorn and the Sturer Emil, the nashorn was okish (not good, but ok) the St Emil was a pile of shit and it (relative speaking) became only worse

Its in the same tier / class as a Su-152, apart from getting 1 shot by said SU, the SU:

• Is almost 2x faster
  • Has twice the camo
  • Can actually bounce the odd shell left and right
  • Has either more alpha dmg / pen OR a round that will do 300-400 dmg guarenteed

The Emil has more gun depression, and uh, better accuracy, but given that the su can get closer to the enemy, can always load HE and can also actually get to the fight those 2 benefits are also minimal... When a same tier tank is flat out better in everything, something is wrong... (same for the t8 china tds i think, i got the t8 prem, and its suprising good so far, i have doubts about the tech tree version...)